3.0 duramax oil change

I tried to get my first free oil change at the dealership but they failed at several things including keeping my appointment timeliness.

So I must change the oil myself.  I ordered 7 quarts of the AC Delco DexosD 0w-20.

My question is what is the functional difference between:

DexosD 0w-20 (dexos for diesel engines) 

And

Dexos 0w-20 (for gasoline engines)?

I asked because its nearly impossible to find DexosD but I can find Dexos2 0w-20.

I live in remote interior Alaska and its very problematic to find this unicorn oil.

Not entirely sure of the differences but believe it has to do with limiting contamination of the catalyst for the diesel. I’d love to run 10W-40 if we could but fear this engine would not like that at all.

So I’m stuck in the same situation where we need to go to the dealer just to buy the oil.

8 hours ago, TheRealZatarra said:

I tried to get my first free oil change at the dealership but they failed at several things including keeping my appointment timeliness.

So I must change the oil myself.  I ordered 7 quarts of the AC Delco DexosD 0w-20.

My question is what is the functional difference between:

DexosD 0w-20 (dexos for diesel engines) 

And

Dexos 0w-20 (for gasoline engines)?

I asked because its nearly impossible to find DexosD but I can find Dexos2 0w-20.

I live in remote interior Alaska and its very problematic to find this unicorn oil.

There is really only one (two brands) oil approved for DexosD, at least per the Dexos site https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexosd/index.html.  The oil that BurnsMax posted will as well, see the link at the bottom from Mobil as well.  Looks like the license page hasn't updated to include that one.  

You MUST use DexosD approved oils.  Dexos 1 gen 2 0w-20 for gas engines is formulated differently than DexosD and can't be used.  It all boils down to the emissions system protection.  Regular Dexos 1 gen 2 oils don't follow this formulation.  These new diesel engine oils are all low sulphated ash content for protection of the DPF.  Ash, Sulfated, mass%, ASTM D874 of 0.8.  Dexos 2 oils follow this as well, so what does get me is why GM made a separate licensing brand for the 0w20 product when it seems to follow (at least ash content) Dexos 2 oils on being a low SAPS oil.  

The dealer you bought the truck from should have the factory oil in stock by now.  

https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexosd/index.html

1 hour ago, BurnsMax said:

You can also buy this oil it is GM approved https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mob-125386

Yes, this oil will work too.  The Mobil page for it:  https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/for-personal-vehicles/our-products/products/mobil-1-esp-x2-0w-20/

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

I refused to buy the oil at the dealership here, Don't want them getting a single penny out of me.

I did order that oil change kit from amazon and I have emailed Mobil 1 about where I can buy their ESP2 locally, but their advice was to give my local suppliers the mobil 1 stock number so they could order it.  However none of those supplier CAN order it!  It's not available to them in their systems.

I was just curious about what the differences were between the gas/diesel versions of that Dexos.   I think I got my answer a few posts above and its mostly about the Diesel Particulate Filtration.

Thanks again.

The emissions system is NOT set up the same way as the 6.6, (I'm not familiar with the 2.8, except to that it uses an engine oil not the same as the 6.6, and not the same as the 3.0)

Exhaust Aftertreatment System

The exhaust aftertreatment system is designed to reduce the levels of hydrocarbons (HC), carbon monoxide (CO), oxides of nitrogen (NOx), and particulate matter (PM) pollutants remaining in the engine’s exhaust gases before they exit via the vehicle’s exhaust tailpipe. NOx is controlled by a Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) converter combined with precise injections of Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF), while PM is controlled by a diesel particulate filter (DPF). To reduce packaging volume and manufacturing cost, the SCR catalyst on the DPF is coated to form an SCR-coated DPF, or a Selective Catalytic Reduction on Filter (SCRoF). The close coupled DOC along with the SCR on Filter are integrated into one assembly.

In the DPF, particulate matter consisting of extremely small particles of carbon remaining after combustion are removed from the exhaust gas by the large surface area of the DPF. DEF is injected into the exhaust gases prior to entering the SCRoF stage. Within the SCRoF, NOx is converted to nitrogen (N2), carbon dioxide (CO2), and water vapor (H20) through a catalytic reduction fueled by the injected DEF.

The exhaust aftertreatment system components (Fig. 5) include:

1. Exhaust temperature sensor
  2. DEF injector mounting flange
  3. Exhaust pressure differential sensor pipe
  4. Exhaust pressure differential sensor pipe
  5. EGR flange
  6. NOx catalytic converter assembly
  7. Particulate matter boss
  8. Exhaust back pressure valve

F05-30-duramax-exhaust-4.jpgFig. 5

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, redwngr said:

The emissions system is NOT set up the same way as the 6.6, (I'm not familiar with the 2.8, except to that it uses an engine oil not the same as the 6.6, and not the same as the 3.0)

Exhaust Aftertreatment System

The exhaust aftertreatment system is designed to reduce the levels of hydrocarbons (HC), carbon monoxide (CO), oxides of nitrogen (NOx), and particulate matter (PM) pollutants remaining in the engine’s exhaust gases before they exit via the vehicle’s exhaust tailpipe. NOx is controlled by a Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) converter combined with precise injections of Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF), while PM is controlled by a diesel particulate filter (DPF). To reduce packaging volume and manufacturing cost, the SCR catalyst on the DPF is coated to form an SCR-coated DPF, or a Selective Catalytic Reduction on Filter (SCRoF). The close coupled DOC along with the SCR on Filter are integrated into one assembly.

In the DPF, particulate matter consisting of extremely small particles of carbon remaining after combustion are removed from the exhaust gas by the large surface area of the DPF. DEF is injected into the exhaust gases prior to entering the SCRoF stage. Within the SCRoF, NOx is converted to nitrogen (N2), carbon dioxide (CO2), and water vapor (H20) through a catalytic reduction fueled by the injected DEF.

The exhaust aftertreatment system components (Fig. 5) include:

1. Exhaust temperature sensor
  2. DEF injector mounting flange
  3. Exhaust pressure differential sensor pipe
  4. Exhaust pressure differential sensor pipe
  5. EGR flange
  6. NOx catalytic converter assembly
  7. Particulate matter boss
  8. Exhaust back pressure valve

F05-30-duramax-exhaust-4.jpgFig. 5

Correct, the 3.0 has the DPF right up in the engine bay where as the Colorado/Canyon and the 6.6 trucks are all under the truck further down the exhaust.

That said, the 2.8 Duramax Dexos2 oils and the DexosD use the same low ash specs (Ash, Sulfated, mass%, ASTM D8740.8).  Mobil 1 0w40 ESP Formula is used in the Camaro/Corvette V8s now for an all around oil street and track use.  Before, they had called for 15w50 for track day use and then drain it back out to 5w30 Dexos1 to avoid converter damage, but then switched to this oil to eliminate the need to switch oils for track day.   https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/for-personal-vehicles/our-products/products/mobil-1-esp-formula-0w-40/  

The biggest known difference that I can only find is Dexos2 oils are in the 0w30/5w30/0w40/5w40 flavors, and DexosD is 0w20.

Edited by newdude

One other things is oil for a diesel is different than a gas engine.  It has different detergents in it to help keep the engine clean and the soot in suspension. Something not really needed as much in a gas engine.  So you have the DPF and soot in the oil to deal with.  Yes the 0w-20 is an emission oil but remember this new 3.0 engine has been designed from the ground up. So I'm sure they took into consideration the lubrication as well.  

Would it run on a 5w-30 diesel oil, probably but what effect in the long run would it have on all the control systems that use the lubrication?

My 2014 diesel Cruze calls for a 5w-30 dexos 2 diesel oil.  I've been running AMSOIL's 5w-30 Signature Series in it and not the European dexos 2 rated oil.  My UOA's are better with the SS.  The main thing is I stayed in spec on the oil weight and diesel oil.  Plus the diesel in the Cruze is also used overseas so it wasn't specifically designed from the ground up like the new 3.0. Not to mention technology has changed some from 2014 to now. Plus I'm out of warranty anyway. 

The complexity of vehicles is just going to get worse IMO.  We either stay old school or adapt, not much we can do.

25% of what is in a gallon of diesel motor oil is the additive mix which is needed due to the harsher operating conditions with a diesel engine. Some motor oils like Redline and Valvoline have a great additive mix and others like Amsoil have a very poor additive mix and far worse to use than others that sell for a third as much.

Diesel and gas engines changed a great deal with the 2017 model years and require special motor oil for best performance and longevity. The API SP oils for gas engines provide a great deal more protection at very low viscosity. The engine manufacturers worked for several years with the majro oil companies to meet the new federal requirements without shortening engine life.

The AC Delco DexosD 0W-20 diesel engine oil can be bought on Amazon as a kit that includes the oil filter. At $82 is expensive but then one does not buy a diesel truck to save money.

https://www.amazon.com/19370138-10-9277-55495105-19391402-Duramax/dp/B08BS5HD1P

You MUST use DexosD appr

oved oils. 

This is not true, all the oil has to do it meet the spec's.  Anyone who says you have to use dexosD approved oils is fear-mongering.

From the owners manual, note the words "or equivalent"

dexosD.png

One dealer near me charged me $92 for 7 quarts + filter (first change). I knew this dealer is a crook but didn’t have time to look around.

Another dealer gives me a discount (I just walk in, no account or anything, maybe because I have to give them the part number every time) and only charges me $42 for 7 quarts + filter. 
However, lately the availability on the PF66 oil filter has been pretty scarce. I checked 5 dealers, Oreillys, advance, and autozone and only 1 GMC dealer had 3 filters so I got them all.