Tint, thoughts?

Went and got the windows tinted on my 2020 Sierra Crew Cab.  I know with trucks the tint can vary slightly based on how much light gets in, and how giant the windows are.  I was going to go with Pinnacle "air" on the rears and I believe 35% on the front (which should have matched), but the gentleman doing it recommended a bit darker in back, due to having small children (nap easier, more heat rejection, etc.).  I will admit, I'm extremely ****** about my truck, and tint, and my truck...LOL.  After picking it up, although the job was done perfectly, I am contemplating having the fronts pulled off, and going a bit darker to match the rears now (as opposed to having the back pulled off and redoing those with air, due to costing more to pull 3 windows off than 2.).

Thoughts?  Am I crazy?  Is it closer than I think?  I do prefer it to match, it's just a "thing" for me, clearly.

IMG_3291.jpeg

1 hour ago, DarkSky20 said:

Looks good to me. Your local law enforcement wouldn’t like it darker I’m sure. 

That’s a good point, and a thought I had too.  Guess if I did decide to do something, I would be best pulling it off the back Windows and going with the “air”.

2 hours ago, ero2 said:

Went and got the windows tinted on my 2020 Sierra Crew Cab.  I know with trucks the tint can vary slightly based on how much light gets in, and how giant the windows are.  I was going to go with Pinnacle "air" on the rears and I believe 35% on the front (which should have matched), but the gentleman doing it recommended a bit darker in back, due to having small children (nap easier, more heat rejection, etc.).  I will admit, I'm extremely ****** about my truck, and tint, and my truck...LOL.  After picking it up, although the job was done perfectly, I am contemplating having the fronts pulled off, and going a bit darker to match the rears now (as opposed to having the back pulled off and redoing those with air, due to costing more to pull 3 windows off than 2.).

Thoughts?  Am I crazy?  Is it closer than I think?  I do prefer it to match, it's just a "thing" for me, clearly.

I went with 15% up front to match the back. I love it MOST of the time. It’s rough when backing a trailer in the dark, even with auxiliary lighting.  I usually roll down my windows, but don’t during mosquito season. Slow and steady!

I try not to bring attention to myself on the road, so I’m not too concerned with the law enforcement issue. 
Like everything, it’s a balance. 

I know this is a highly debated topic, but I also tinted the windshield 50%.  I really really like the windshield tint, but I also understand why it’s such a hot button for others. I haven’t experienced any issues with visibility, but 99% of my driving is on well-lit roads or highways.

• Thanks 1

I did 20% on everything but the windshield. Part of it is my OCD that I don't like having different shades on the inside looking out. And I don't like that people can see in from behind me so I just did everything. There is a contrast between the front and rears but it's not terrible. Anything darker and its super hard to see out of at night...especially when it's raining. I think yours looks good the way it is...my .$02

• Thanks 1

I think it looks great. Coming from a guy who used to tint windows.  I love mine dark but like others have said, police probably won’t bother you when they can see an outline of you. When you start to go real dark. They harass you. I had 5% all around my last suv and 20% windshield and I got pulled over 3 times in less than 2 months.  Not worth it

also you want darker on back for kids because factory don’t is just a dye, u don’t get any heat rejection from it. Here is my truck. I also have a 5% strip on front.  I don’t do windshields anymore. To much of a hassle. 
truck looks sharp

D68175A0-95C6-4101-A078-8AE9BA8267AC.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Personally I like the front windows a little less dark. As a retired LEO,I'll tell you I did cite vehicles with very dark windows. The dark windows gives LEO's a reason to stop and detain you.  It sets up a situation for further investigation for warrant checks etc. It was my job to arrest and book people!  It just isn't worth it to do a black out of front windows. Don't draw unwanted attention to you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 10/19/2020 at 6:18 AM, mrtizzom said:

I did 20% on everything but the windshield. Part of it is my OCD that I don't like having different shades on the inside looking out. And I don't like that people can see in from behind me so I just did everything. There is a contrast between the front and rears but it's not terrible. Anything darker and its super hard to see out of at night...especially when it's raining. I think yours looks good the way it is...my .$02

This

I'm super ****** about my vehicles and I cannot stand having different shades on any window.  

I went much darker than anyone has mentioned (5%) all around and I love it.  All my vehicles between me and my wife are 15% or less, I do not see the point of having tint any lighter.  I've never had a problem with night driving and it drastically cuts down on the sun glare during the day.  Night driving and backing-up is 100x easier as well with the camera system, so tint becomes a moot point.

I'd personally pull it and have the front two redone, just my 2 cents

Edited by 204Denali
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 204Denali said:

This

I'm super ****** about my vehicles and I cannot stand having different shades on any window.  

I went much darker than anyone has mentioned (5%) all around and I love it.  All my vehicles between me and my wife are 15% or less, I do not see the point of having tint any lighter.  I've never had a problem with night driving and it drastically cuts down on the sun glare during the day.  Night driving and backing-up is 100x easier as well with the camera system, so tint becomes a moot point.

I'd personally pull it and have the front two redone, just my 2 cents

Coming from a guy who tinted windows and who has had windows with 5% stacked on top of itself, and having the windshield 20% with a 5% strip, it can get dangerous and very hard to see out of at night! That's a fact! Especially when you are on a street without street lights. Your rear view camera only covers so much area!  Also like others have mentioned, it's highly illegal and though (I agree, it looks awesome) but it draws a ton of attention to you for good and bad reasons.

Also you stated, "I do not see the point of having tint any lighter."  I'll answer that for you. The tint shade doesn't matter on heat rejection. The type of tint used is what it's all about. I have seen 35% solar guard film have a better heat rejection than a certain type of 5%  3M film. So the shade of the tint has NOTHING to do with the amount of heat you are keeping out of the vehicle! 

2 minutes ago, TNTSilverado said:

Coming from a guy who tinted windows and who has had windows with 5% stacked on top of itself, and having the windshield 20% with a 5% strip, it can get dangerous and very hard to see out of at night! That's a fact! Especially when you are on a street without street lights. Your rear view camera only covers so much area!  Also like others have mentioned, it's highly illegal and though (I agree, it looks awesome) but it draws a ton of attention to you for good and bad reasons.

Also you stated, "I do not see the point of having tint any lighter."  I'll answer that for you. The tint shade doesn't matter on heat rejection. The type of tint used is what it's all about. I have seen 35% solar guard film have a better heat rejection than a certain type of 5%  3M film. So the shade of the tint has NOTHING to do with the amount of heat you are keeping out of the vehicle! 

I don't think the OP was planning on stacking 5% on 5%, and that is a completely different scenario then what he is talking about or what I was talking about.  That's insanely dark. but what OP posted is far lighter.

When did I say anything about heat rejection?  my comment was purely about color, transparency and visual appeal.  Nothing to do with heat rejection, so I'm not sure where your comments are coming from.

OP asked for opinions, I gave mine.  You do not like dark tint, good for you.

2 minutes ago, 204Denali said:

I don't think the OP was planning on stacking 5% on 5%, and that is a completely different scenario then what he is talking about or what I was talking about.  That's insanely dark. but what OP posted is far lighter.

When did I say anything about heat rejection?  my comment was purely about color, transparency and visual appeal.  Nothing to do with heat rejection, so I'm not sure where your comments are coming from.

OP asked for opinions, I gave mine.  You do not like dark tint, good for you.

I am just telling you the facts. I am not trying to to argue with you

Your quote stated I don't see a point in lighter tint.  Tint is all about heat rejection and keeping out harmful UV sunlight. The fact many don't know this, just shows that so many people think tint is for just looks!  It's not

I never said I didn't like dark windows. I do, having my vehicle basically 2% my whole life proves that. I just don't do it anymore because in Iowa it's HIGHLY illegal and got tired of getting pulled over every other week. Plus, after a few tickets, cops can pull your license from you if they want to for not obeying the law!. It's just not worth it in my opinion. I've gone through it!

Again, not trying to argue with you just giving you facts about it being illegal, being dangerous at night, and that tint is more than just for looks.    

Have a great day! Stay safe 

For all that love that very dark tint because it looks cool put yourself in the LEO'S shoes. One of the worst feeling's is doing a traffic stop with a vehicle that has dark tint and your unable to see how many occupants are in the vehicle one could have a gun pointed at you as you proceed to the vehicle, its worse at night that's why traffic stops at night have the units spot light aimed at the drivers side rearview mirror to light up in inside of the vehicle and don't even think about covering the mirror with your hand or move the mirror as it will not be a pretty outcome. Something to think about. 

Well, I realized something else this morning.  When I went to leave the coffee shop with my kid, I couldn’t see into the back windows at all.  Didn’t know if she was in there.  Yes, I just opened the door and it was fine, but being able to at least see her outline through the window is good (in my opinion).  I think I’m just getting old, I used to do 5% all around without worry, lol.  Probably gonna have to pull it and go lighter.  Any worry about hurting the defroster in the rear window?

1 hour ago, ero2 said:

Well, I realized something else this morning.  When I went to leave the coffee shop with my kid, I couldn’t see into the back windows at all.  Didn’t know if she was in there.  Yes, I just opened the door and it was fine, but being able to at least see her outline through the window is good (in my opinion).  I think I’m just getting old, I used to do 5% all around without worry, lol.  Probably gonna have to pull it and go lighter.  Any worry about hurting the defroster in the rear window?

Yes u need to use a steamer in order to get the tint off.  Or it will damage the defroster. Then glue will be left over. Need a good soapy cleaning solution and steal wool.  I’d just pay someone to take it off.  Less hassle for u.  Especially if u don’t have steamer.  

Edited by TNTSilverado