Time from order to delivery?

I sold my 2019 f250 diesel that I couldn’t keep out of the shop last night and ordered a 2021 gmc 2500 at4/gas engine. I’m tired of the dpf problems. 
I was just wondering if anyone else ordered a vehicle and about how long it takes. Dealer says 6 weeks.

Typical is about 8 weeks assuming dealer had allocations and there are NO parts constraints.     It takes about 2-4 wks from order acceptance (Event code 2000) till production and as much as 2-4 weeks for transit depending on where its going.  See below. 

A constraint is a limit placed on specific build configurations.

When you place an order with a dealer, the status is 1100 (Preliminary Order Accepted which means no errors etc). UNTIL Chevrolet ACCEPTS the order, it just sits there at 1100. You don't have an order with GM at this point. You only have a dealer requesting an allocation for a slot in the production schedule. Dealer Allocation is simple to understand - GM changed its model for producing vehicles a few years' back. Dealers are now awarded allocation based on past performance, as well as other factors. If you are sitting at 1100 you are not in line yet for production. Your dealer MUST get GM to accept the order. When GM accepts the order, all the parts are available and will be allocated to your truck build.

When will my truck ship?

You have better chances of picking winning lottery numbers than to know for sure when your truck will ship. When you combine the QC issues with geographical delivery of vehicles (at the lowest possible cost so they need to aggregate deliveries - and they don't not use a first in first out methodology), this can be the most frustrating part of the whole SRE journey. There is no transparency to actual data. There is just generic codes and sometimes the whisper from "someone in the know". Your truck may ship quickly, it may not. It will likely take longer the more rural you are and the lower the volume of cars your dealer sells.

Edited by elcamino

DOSP - Dealer Order Submission Process

The weekly process consists of 4 stages.

1. Constraints Distribution - Dealers are informed on constraints to review before placing orders.  (A Constraint is a limit placed on specific build configurations.)

2. Dealer Order Submission - Dealers can order on Thursday, Friday or no later than midnight on Saturday. (You can submit orders earlier but you don't know the constraints.)

3. The 4-Pass Process - GM will attempt to place each dealer’s orders on Mondays using a 4-Pass process. (At this point a dealer may get more or less than was allocated, if they asked.)

4. Dealer Review - You can review your placed orders for changes or replacements until Tuesday at 9pm ET. That's when the accepted orders are sent to production control.

• 2 months later...

An example is that they are only building crew cab trucks right now due to limited overall production capacity.  Another example might be that they do not have any cloth bench seats available at this time, so you can't order that configuration.  So it can be a decision by those in charge of production to constrain themselves in some way for a strategic reason, or it can simply be they are out of stock on something. 

Edited by Another JR

More orders for an option than a supplier can meet.  For instance, say the engine plant can only produced 500 diesel engines per week for the foreseeable future due to limited employee attendance due to covid19.  Then the engine will be on constraint and they cannot accept orders for more than 500 nationwide.  So if there are 1000 orders a week they can't catch up so it goes on constrain and the order won't go through.  

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I ordered my Silverado on 3 3 2022 and it still hasn't been accepted as of today 6 22 2022! Don't believe I will get it,I feel they are going to tell me some bs and cancel the order! No reason why it hasn't been accepted at all! They have no explanation! The ordering process is just a sad state of affairs.

I ordered a 22 in January of 22.  Got a call last week that 22 orders are now closed.  So my order is canceled via Chevy.  I will need to reorder a 23, which i doubt i will do.  I don't want to play the waiting game again whilst the interest rates continue to climb.  Just too many unknowns at this point.