55 minutes ago, Another JR said:

There are important reasons not to put antiseize compound on the hub/wheel interface and on the wheel studs or bolts. 

The wheel bolt/stud torque is specified based on an assumed level of friction to achieve a desired bolt/stud tension and thereby a desired clamping force between the wheel and the hub face. If the torque is specified for dry threads and you apply that torque with a lubricant of some kind on the threads, the bolt/stud tension induced will go up significantly, and you may yield or even break the bolt or stud. If the specified torque is for dry threads and you decide to use antiseize compound or some other lubricant, you need to use a lower torque, targeting the same clamping force. There are tables on the internet that provide guidance for adjusting torque to achieve the same clamping force with different thread conditions. 

The reasons you are trying to achieve a certain clamping force are 1) to hold the wheel on with preload so no gap opens between the wheel and hub under any wheel load condition, and 2) to create sufficient friction between the hub and wheel so that the wheel does not shift on the hub under any load. This friction interface is intended to take the torsional and lateral loads between the wheel and hub so that the bolts/studs are not subjected to significant bending loads, which can cause them to fail.  There is no practical increase to the existing lug torque and clamping force you can do that will restore the intended friction if you have lubricated the wheel/hub interface with antiseize or grease. 

Will using antiseize on your wheel/hub interface actually cause your lug bolts/studs to eventually fail from bending fatigue?  Who knows, but by adding compound there you have seriously altered the joint conditions intended by the engineers. I would respectfully suggest you not do that. 

Go back and read my post more carefully. I said I put anti seize on the "rotor face" and the "screws that hold the front rotors on the hub"  Nowhere did I say I used anything on the wheel studs. I know better than to do that. Here in the rust belt aluminum wheels will corrode to the face of the rotor hat due to moisture, salt and dis-similar metals being in contact. Anti seize prevents them from sticking together and makes them easier to get apart. It is a common preventative thing where I live. We regularly had wheels that had to be forcibly knocked off of trucks at work after only 2 yrs.

The screws I put it on were the flat head torx drive screws (one on each rotor) that go through the rotor hat into the hub face to hold the rotor tight when the wheel is off. 

The surface between the wheel and hub is not what holds the wheel in place. The wheels fit tightly over the studs and the ends of the lug nuts are tapered to center the opening as well as the fact that the wheels are hub centric. 

If you dont use some form of rust preventative here the surface between the wheel and rotor face can be rust jacked and cause the lugs to be too tight. 

I appreciate your concern but if your going to call someone out you may want to read the post more carefully. 

Scott

Edited by 64BAwagon

44 minutes ago, 64BAwagon said:

Go back and read my post more carefully. I said I put anti seize on the "rotor face" and the "screws that hold the front rotors on the hub"  Nowhere did I say I used anything on the wheel studs. I know better than to do that. Here in the rust belt aluminum wheels will corrode to the face of the rotor hat due to moisture, salt and dis-similar metals being in contact. Anti seize prevents them from sticking together and makes them easier to get apart. It is a common preventative thing where I live. We regularly had wheels that had to be forcibly knocked off of trucks at work after only 2 yrs.

The screws I put it on were the flat head torx drive screws (one on each rotor) that go through the rotor hat into the hub face to hold the rotor tight when the wheel is off. 

The surface between the wheel and hub is not what holds the wheel in place. The wheels fit tightly over the studs and the ends of the lug nuts are tapered to center the opening as well as the fact that the wheels are hub centric. 

If you dont use some form of rust preventative here the surface between the wheel and rotor face can be rust jacked and cause the lugs to be too tight. 

I appreciate your concern but if your going to call someone out you may want to read the post more carefully. 

Scott

I apologize for coming across as “calling you out.”  I meant no offense.

You are right I read the part wrong about the screw that keeps the rotor from falling off when you take the wheel off. I put antiseize on that too. Most manuals call for it I believe when you replace the rotors. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 64BAwagon said:

Around here road salt in the winter is like a religion for the road crews. Its a constant battle with what I call "Michigan Loctite" 

Same in cheeseland. Luckily my wheels are steel. So instead of get stuck they will just rust off eventually haha. Might take awhile though 

1 minute ago, Pryme said:

Same in cheeseland. Luckily my wheels are steel. So instead of get stuck they will just rust off eventually haha. Might take awhile though 

Too funny cheeseland.  Way back in the early to mid 90's we used to fly up to Madison to visit my aunt and uncle during the holidays..Actually back then we would fly to Chicago and then grab a rental car and drive up to Madison.  Great memories.

• Like 1

I need to squirrel for a moment @Pryme   My uncle was the dean of faculty for many years at the university of Wisconsin.  He's long retired now but still goes in everyday to his life long office there.  It's his life, it's been his whole life so long he can't get rid of it.  Kind of weird how some people work their whole life and can't stop doing it.  Their work is their whole life.  He's a brilliant man of course but me, I don't get that.  I can't wait to retire and enjoy life outside of Delta.  But him, he made his work his entire life....he's happy at what he's doing and that's all that matters.  He must be closing in on 80 now.  His wife, my aunt is a world renown Anesthesiologist at the medical center there.  She too works in retirement helping under priveledged communities in third world countries.  That devotion to your job for life I will never understand.  But they are great people, who can fault that? 

Edited by Jettech1

8 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

I need to squirrel for a moment @Pryme   My uncle was the dean of faculty for many years at the university of Wisconsin.  He's long retired now but still goes in everyday to his life long office there.  It's his life, it's been his whole life so long he can't get rid of it.  Kind of weird how some people work their whole life and can't stop doing it.  Their work is their whole life.  He's a brilliant man of course but me, I don't get that.  I can't wait to retire and enjoy life outside of Delta.  But him, he made his work his entire life....he's happy at what he's doing and that's all that matters.  He must be closing in on 80 now.  His wife, my aunt is a world renown Anesthesiologist at the medical center there.  She too works in retirement helping under priveledged communities in third world countries.  That devotion to your job for life I will never understand.  But they are great people, who can fault that? 

I don’t think my brothers will retire. One runs our old ROW clearing business with his son  running crews for the person who bought it from us. It’s mostly driving checking and bidding jobs. He’s home mostly and gets 4 weeks vacation. The pay is just too good, he likes stuff. My other brother oversees the family business that his son and a couple of brothers from another mother actually run now. There’re both past my retirement age of 58. I’m happy retired, they’re happy leading a more structured existence. 

• Like 1