So I have a 2020 Silverado 2500 with the 6.6L engine.  Last night on my way home from Lowe's, I got a message in the DIC that read "Engine Oil Low.  Add Oil."  Luckily, I was only 3 miles or so from home.  I waited two hours for the engine to cool before I checked the oil level on the dip stick.  It didn't even read on the stick.  Luckily, I happened to have two quarts of the Dexos Gen-2 Synthetic 5W-30 at home.  It took both quarts to bring the oil level the the upper mark on the stick.  The truck currently has 7,058 miles on it.  I did the first oil change (at the Dealership as it was free) at 3,518 miles.  The truck doesn't seem to be leaking oil anywhere, as there are no oil spots under it in my garage, and I don't see any smoke while driving that would indicate it's burning oil.  When I start it from cold I do get a bit of white smoke out the muffler, but it quickly goes away and does not continue.  Has anyone else experienced this?  My only explanation is that the technician who did the oil change only put in 6 quarts rather than the required 8.   I never checked the dip stick after the oil change, which I know I should have.  Could this have caused any engine damage?  I have created a spreadsheet to track the mileage and oil levels, just in case I need it down the road.  I'll check it again in 100 miles or so.  Hoping it was just a mistake by the technician and that no harm was done.

The invoice said 8 quarts, but I have a feeling this was generated by the VIN, which knows the truck takes 8 quarts.  Who knows what they physically put in the truck?  I blame myself for not looking at the dip stick when I got the truck back.  Just hope no damage was done and that I don't have a bigger issue on my hands.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update this.  I brought the truck to the Dealership for an oil change after getting the low oil message.  I physically watched the technician put in the required 8 quarts.  I also checked the dipstick after I got home and had a chance to let the oil settle.  The stick read full.  I've since out about 500 miles on the truck and the oil level does not seem to have changed from the full mark.  I am thinking the first technician simply put in 6 quarts rather than 8.  A bit scary, as this was a DEALER!

• 2 years later...
On 12/19/2020 at 4:10 PM, bigman32hockey said:

Just to update this.  I brought the truck to the Dealership for an oil change after getting the low oil message.  I physically watched the technician put in the required 8 quarts.  I also checked the dipstick after I got home and had a chance to let the oil settle.  The stick read full.  I've since out about 500 miles on the truck and the oil level does not seem to have changed from the full mark.  I am thinking the first technician simply put in 6 quarts rather than 8.  A bit scary, as this was a DEALER!

Typically the lube rack employees are a big turnover position and they arent exactly holding MENSA meetings in the lunchroom. The first oil change is free and I still do my own, I have trust issues due to things I have seen/experienced over the years. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’ve been using dealerships in my wife’s cars since our first new car with a warranty. A 1994 impala ss. Same with my first new 1/2 ton truck. A 1998 Ford truck. I’ve covered the brands over the years and never had a problem with their so called under educated staff. Everyone I know including college graduates had to start at the bottom somewhere.  I started at my father’s business as the head greaser. On a rig of one. Eventually operating equipment to site  boss and eventually owner. Every field has incompetence. I had a doctor miss diagnosed my daughter. I didn’t paint them all with the same brush. Like the tax man says you sent it in your responsible, pay the penalty. Just pull the dipstick, dipstick. How hard is that. I ain’t taking my car to the dealership, laughable!

Edited by KARNUT

My experience with dealership mechanics is mixed but heavily weighted towards not using them. I've known some outstanding mechanics that work in these places and dozens upon dozens 'other'. I use a small private shop whose owner I know. I make exception for motorcycle dealers who seem to have the idea that they would like me to continue buying from them. 

I've had dealerships:

Put the wrong fluid in the posi of my Vette killing the clutch pack.

Put the wrong fluid in my Fords transmission that required type F on vacation making an interesting return trip. 

Break intake manifold bolts off during emissions recall and blame me for doing so. Fight to the finish.

Break the gas door hinge and charge me to repair it. 

Burn through the paint on a new Ford and fight me for the repair. I should have left it alone. the repair was worse than the damage they caused. 

Refuse to honor a Dealship applied Rust Package that failed the first winter. 

Replace the motor in one of my Honda's and forget the fill the transmission and fight me for the repair. 

Break plastic trim pieces doing air bag recalls and deny doing it.

Lie to me about damage. This one is funny. Wife hits a pothole. I take it in for a look see. They say the strut is bent and leaking and both are replace in pairs at a cost of over a thousand. I told them to put it on the floor. I took it to Jason. Not bent, Not leaking and didn't need an alignment. Liar and a cheat. 

Leave graphite wheel bearing grease on the seat, door panel, visor and head liner of my prize Buick's leather interior. I stopped them just before he hit the seat with brake cleaner. OMG you idiot. Then berate me for caring so much about a  F***'n Ol Buick". That fella got canned by his super on the spot who overheard the ruckus. 

Paid for a clutch replacement in my first Honda they didn't replace and left the slave cylinder empty. 

Put a CV axle C clip in backward and had the shaft try to exit THROUGH the transmission. 

Lot jockey beat the crap out of my 5.0 Mustang and got caught by my sister-in-law who lived across from the dealership. Guy was doing lot length smokies and donuts. Denied it. She had it recorded on her phone. :idiot:

I got dozens more. They touch my vehicle to do warranty and recall work only. We do a walk around on film. 

To be fair I've had some bad experiences with small shops as well. But by and large a much better experience. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 2

Dealers are an assembly line for service. All piece rate work. Piece rate means not enough time to do a proper job IMO.

My son started in shops, then dealers, back to shops. Dealers only cared about money.

I have said before Karnut spent money on a regular basis so they wanted him back. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Roll of the dice either way you go and hard to find a good one. This is why I still do it myself.

Recently took our Santa Fe in for a recall. Inspected car after service and found minor body damage. Service manager said we have cameras everywhere I will check and get back to you. Never heard a word. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1