Has anyone bought the 2021 Chevrolet Navigation System Map Update

rav3

Yeah but like... you don’t have to look at or touch the phone screen at all with CarPlay or android auto. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ theres no clutter or extra anything. It’s the same screen as the in dash stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah but like... you don’t have to look at or touch the phone screen at all with CarPlay or android auto. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ theres no clutter or extra anything. It’s the same screen as the in dash stuff.

I touch a button on my steering wheel and talk to my phone. Not only to set destination, I can access all my apps on my phone. Pandora, prime, I heart, etc. I only have to be familiar with one device. In my 20 year old truck I just push the button on my iPhone and talk. It’s hands free. I don’t pay to upgrade. Don’t need on star.

• Like 1

I dont think im going to upgrade as I have Gaia for trails and phone for the road if needed. I will however keep my onstar as it saved me while on the salt flats, wife accidently locked the truck with it running called onstar and they unlocked it. Mind you it was cold and starting to rain.

• 4 months later...

If you only bought the update every couple of years, IMO it could possibly justify the $99 update cost every now and then. But I wouldn't want to pay that every year.

But I have another question. I don't have Navi on mine, just that worthless turn but turn setup if subscribed through OnStar so this doesn't really affect me. My motorcycle, though has navigation that is based on the Garmin system. They no longer provide updates and haven't for probably 3 or 4 years. I found a way to use a Garmin with unlimited updates to create a mapset that I can have loaded into my motorcycle's navigation and always have the most current updates at no charge. Is there a way to do something similar with the Chevy and GM navigation systems?

I like the factory nav. I buy it every two years,I like  that it shows that my next turn shows up in my dash.The phone set up you keep guessing do I turn here or not.And when you’re in a  busy city you don’t want to be guessing.

On 4/29/2021 at 7:54 AM, Leachim said:

Will the 2021 Navigation update that was bought for a 2017 GMC truck, work in my 2017 Chevy Cruze?

Welcome to the site.

No is the answer to your question, the USB drive is VIN specific. Information required when you purchase it.

• Like 1

Why is this even needed anymore with Apple Car Play and Android Auto with the myriad of navigation apps constantly updated for, relatively, free?

Edited by MikeBMW

I got the 2021 update. No big UI changes that I can tell. It now finds the new Chick-fil-a in my neighborhood. And a Subway in Detroit according to the install directions 🙂 

I like the built in Nav because on long road trips, I am not organized enough, or have enough foresight, to remember to download the right set of maps for when I am not in cell range (often enough). I also like it for the quick direction, when I don't want to get my phone out of my pocket and plug into the USB. Maybe with wireless Android Auto, I will be 100% phone maps, but for now, I use both.