Has anyone bought the 2021 Chevrolet Navigation System Map Update

rav3

I just got an email from Chevy offering the new 2021 Chevrolet Navigation System Map Update for $99. Has anyone on here bought & done the update? I was curious as to what the difference was from my early '17 system was. My build date is 12/16, so this would actually be 4 years difference from what the truck came with. I remember someone posting this but my searches couldn't find it. And yes, I'm aware that the Android Auto will connect via USB connection & will show the Google map on the screen. Just thought the OEM map might be nice with the current update. Any thoughts or input on this? Pro's or con's.

It’s just an updated map. You’re paying a hundo for an update that should already be yours imho. There are a couple roads not on my 2018 map in my area, and it’s a little annoying, but that’s all it would add. With updated address and building info in cities. It’s not a Nav operating system update. I stick with CarPlay, it’s always up to date and for the traffic info, there’s no competition. (I don’t get my traffic from the sat radio), so I only use the built in Nav when I know there’s no traffic or if I ha e no phone signal. (Which for both of those things are pretty rare.)

But if you’re someone who really prefers to use the built in Nav, then it would probably be worth it to you. But again, if you’re not missing any roads on it in your daily, you likely won’t notice the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

What he said. [emoji1318][emoji1318]

I wouldn’t waste your money. I upgraded my system two years after I bought my 15 and absolutely nothing changed that I could tell. You’re much better off with android auto or car play. I won’t ever buy another vehicle with factory nav if so can help it. It’s a total waste of money. Plus it doesn’t always route you the fastest way from what I’ve found.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, catpartsman said:

What he said. emoji1318.pngemoji1318.png

I wouldn’t waste your money. I upgraded my system two years after I bought my 15 and absolutely nothing changed that I could tell. You’re much better off with android auto or car play. I won’t ever buy another vehicle with factory nav if so can help it. It’s a total waste of money. Plus it doesn’t always route you the fastest way from what I’ve found.

Does it not update point of interests? Like fast foods, gas stations, banks, etc?

• Like 1

I purchased the update being I’ve never updated since buying my truck new in ‘15.
I drove from Montana to CA and I used Waze, fastest route and the GM navigation sent me the exact same way. Not sure if it was coincidence or not.

Does it not update point of interests? Like fast foods, gas stations, banks, etc?

Yes, as mentioned above there will be new addresses and new businesses, new 3D buildings, and all the rest of the poi’s but again, IMO not to the point where you’ll do it and be like “well that was a well spent $99”

And again, the traffic incorporation to routes is lacking. The satellite traffic data is slow and inaccurate. Google maps draws data from the same database as Waze which is real-time user updated info. It’s basically unmatched and those apps correct routes dynamically for that info. (My company installed an RTTM system across the state and even that is not as accurate and refreshed as Waze’s data.)

Apple Maps is not quite as good as goog and Waze yet as they only draw from the Tom Tom data base, but they’re way better about your privacy than the open source stuff.

For the money to me it’s not worth it when you have something state of the art on your phone and with CarPlay right in-dash.

If these updates were like $40, maybe I’d do it again, but not at $99 for what they give you. Just me personally.

I haven't bought the 2021 update, but in previous GM vehicles where I waited a few years and then updated the NAV map I have never noticed a large difference. Maybe a few new roads here and there, but at $99 I will not be buying the 2021 update. I like having the factory NAV as a back-up in case my cell signal drops in a remote location, but outside of that I use my phone 99% of the time due to the live traffic updates (as others have mentioned). If live traffic updates are not something you care about and/or don't want your phone tied up using it as navigation and/or feel like you are missing some roads on your current map, then get the factory update. If you haven't noticed any missing roads then it doesn't make sense to me to spend the money on an update.

Also, FWIW I had the 3 month free trial of the onstar live traffic on the NAV and it sucked. I would already be stuck in traffic when it then kicked in with "heavy traffic ahead." So if you're considering paying onstar for that feature it's not worth a single penny.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2020 at 12:02 PM, midwestdenaliguy said:

I haven't bought the 2021 update, but in previous GM vehicles where I waited a few years and then updated the NAV map I have never noticed a large difference. Maybe a few new roads here and there, but at $99 I will not be buying the 2021 update. I like having the factory NAV as a back-up in case my cell signal drops in a remote location, but outside of that I use my phone 99% of the time due to the live traffic updates (as others have mentioned). If live traffic updates are not something you care about and/or don't want your phone tied up using it as navigation and/or feel like you are missing some roads on your current map, then get the factory update. If you haven't noticed any missing roads then it doesn't make sense to me to spend the money on an update.

Also, FWIW I had the 3 month free trial of the onstar live traffic on the NAV and it sucked. I would already be stuck in traffic when it then kicked in with "heavy traffic ahead." So if you're considering paying onstar for that feature it's not worth a single penny.

Google lets you download maps to your phone so you're not dependent on cell towers. Northern NH is pretty spotty so I started with that now I have basically the whole northeast down to DC on my phone.

• Like 1

I never use in dash. I use Waz on my iPhone. My wife backs it up with her iPhone navigation. For grins I have an old garmin running too. There’s a stretch on I-10 through Louisiana if you get stuck on pack a lunch, you’re stuck. So far WAZ has been flawless.

• Like 1

I bought the 2021 Here factory update for my 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali. It was $99. It took 45 minutes to install. You can drive the truck while it is installing. I update my factory GPS every year. Since I tow and have rear camera on my RV (one monitor connected) and TPMS (another monitor connected), I don't need a phone app running or external Garmin running at the same time cluttering up my interior.

I used the facory GPS on a trip and after a stop and a new destination was entered, the factory navigation screen froze. It did not respond to touch commands. It is always good to have a supplemental navigation app on your phone with you when this happens. I was able to use Apple maps to successfully get me to my destination. The GMC factory navigation screen returned to regular operation the next day.

Another really suprising thing, we just got a turnabout intersection in my town. On the day of the map update and while returning home, I went specifically to the turnabout and the map intersection had change significatly to mark me through. It wasn't a complete circle, but it sort of was there.

zoz

I bought the 2021 Here factory update for my 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali. It was $99. It took 45 minutes to install. You can drive the truck while it is installing. I update my factory GPS every year. Since I tow and have rear camera on my RV (one monitor connected) and TPMS (another monitor connected), I don't need a phone app running or external Garmin running at the same time cluttering up my interior.

I used the facory GPS on a trip and after a stop and a new destination was entered, the factory navigation screen froze. It did not respond to touch commands. It is always good to have a supplemental navigation app on your phone with you when this happens. I was able to use Apple maps to successfully get me to my destination. The GMC factory navigation screen returned to regular operation the next day.

Another really suprising thing, we just got a turnabout intersection in my town. On the day of the map update and while returning home, I went specifically to the turnabout and the map intersection had change significatly to mark me through. It wasn't a complete circle, but it sort of was there.

zoz

Yea, my little I phone takes up lots of space.[emoji3166]

• Like 1

I never use in dash. I use Waz on my iPhone. My wife backs it up with her iPhone navigation. For grins I have an old garmin running too. There’s a stretch on I-10 through Louisiana if you get stuck on pack a lunch, you’re stuck. So far WAZ has been flawless.

Have you tried Waze on the dash screen while connected to the phone? Works very well and a lot bigger screen than the phone.
  • Like 1

Have you tried Waze on the dash screen while connected to the phone? Works very well and a lot bigger screen than the phone.

I’ve had two vehicles with navigation. One of the problems I encountered was sun glare when using them. I can position my phone to eliminate the problem. At soon to be 65 I have no problem seeing the smaller screen. I usually put my phone on the far left bottom of my windshield. I don’t even turn on the vehicle GPS.