Need advice, opinion and thoughts on a tonneau cover

Hey all.
So I need some advice. I am torn and looking for other opinions and general advice.
I have a 21 2500 on order. I need to decide which tonneau cover to run.
Back history: Have ran a hard painted to match fiberglass cover on all of my trucks since 2004. I am used to that and I like the look of them. I never really used my truck as a "truck" I always use one of my trailers to haul most things.
Now with that being said, this is my first 2500 and it will have the gooseneck prep. I dont know if I will ever use it, but sure is a nice option if I end up getting a camper down the road or a heavier duty dump trailer etc...
So here is where I am at.
Option one: Stick with what I know.... Right now only A.R.E. makes a painted to match fiberglass. I love the looks of these but it pretty much makes the bed unusable except for the first few feet. I am however used to this, but maybe ready for a change. The big thing here is the looks I am used to and zero leaks. Decent security.
I obviously would have to remove to use the gooseneck and if you have ever had one of these you know what a chore that really is. Price around $2000.00

Option two: Diamonback cover. I have looked at these the most I think. If you dont know of them, it is a aluminum cover with a flat or textured diamondplate look with a rhino lining finish on it. The HD can hold 1600 pounds and are intended to haul a quad on them. "I would not but can easily see hauling other items on top vs having to bring a trailer all the time" The things I like the most about these are the security of them, they are almost as water tight as the hard fiberglass and they actually look pretty good on the trucks. You can also open the front or rear of the cover and can fold back the rear part 180 degrees for roughly half bed access. This would be a big improvement over what I am used to and has some great functionality as well as water tightness. But if I were to want to use the gooseneck, I would still have to remove the cover. Not a huge ordeal but not as simple as a folding cover either. I thought I was set on one of these but still unsure I guess. Price about $2000 for the HD model, can get a lesser model that holds 600 pounds for about $1700. To me for $300 just get the hd just in case. But thats just me

And finally option three and where I need input... Tri fold or quad fold covers. Firstly I am only considering hard covers. I need the security of a hard cover. I have looked at I swear 50 different ones. Ok maybe not that many but a lot lol. I like the idea of both a simple tri-fold and one that flips up against the window. Not a deal breaker either way. I have seen 2 that allow the front to open as well as the rear which I really like. The extang encore and the 64 elite by fold a cover both offer that option. I think I would actually use that if I added one of the tool boxes both offer that sit below the cover. Would be very functional for how I usually use my truck bed. Here are my concerns with any tri-fold that I have seen. Biggest ones are leaks. They all seem to have leak issues, from a few drops to a waterfall. The other is security, some of the tri folds have very easy to break open issues, especially the ones with the cables that you can open with a hanger.
I think I would like a tri-fold as it would give me the option of using most of the bed and the gooseneck when needed but also still give me protection like the fiberglass I am used to. So here is where I am lacking... Does any tri-fold not leak? Or at the least not leak like you put a garden hose in the back of your truck? Normal rain and on the road. Car washes are a different story and I dont use those often. Are any more secure than others?
Any advice, opinion and thoughts on this would be great. If you have the A.R.E. LSII what do you think of it? If you have a diamondback, what do you think? Thanks in advance!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nomadicdogg said:

Hey all.
So I need some advice. I am torn and looking for other opinions and general advice.
I have a 21 2500 on order. I need to decide which tonneau cover to run.
Back history: Have ran a hard painted to match fiberglass cover on all of my trucks since 2004. I am used to that and I like the look of them. I never really used my truck as a "truck" I always use one of my trailers to haul most things.
Now with that being said, this is my first 2500 and it will have the gooseneck prep. I dont know if I will ever use it, but sure is a nice option if I end up getting a camper down the road or a heavier duty dump trailer etc...
So here is where I am at.
Option one: Stick with what I know.... Right now only A.R.E. makes a painted to match fiberglass. I love the looks of these but it pretty much makes the bed unusable except for the first few feet. I am however used to this, but maybe ready for a change. The big thing here is the looks I am used to and zero leaks. Decent security.
I obviously would have to remove to use the gooseneck and if you have ever had one of these you know what a chore that really is. Price around $2000.00

Option two: Diamonback cover. I have looked at these the most I think. If you dont know of them, it is a aluminum cover with a flat or textured diamondplate look with a rhino lining finish on it. The HD can hold 1600 pounds and are intended to haul a quad on them. "I would not but can easily see hauling other items on top vs having to bring a trailer all the time" The things I like the most about these are the security of them, they are almost as water tight as the hard fiberglass and they actually look pretty good on the trucks. You can also open the front or rear of the cover and can fold back the rear part 180 degrees for roughly half bed access. This would be a big improvement over what I am used to and has some great functionality as well as water tightness. But if I were to want to use the gooseneck, I would still have to remove the cover. Not a huge ordeal but not as simple as a folding cover either. I thought I was set on one of these but still unsure I guess. Price about $2000 for the HD model, can get a lesser model that holds 600 pounds for about $1700. To me for $300 just get the hd just in case. But thats just me

And finally option three and where I need input... Tri fold or quad fold covers. Firstly I am only considering hard covers. I need the security of a hard cover. I have looked at I swear 50 different ones. Ok maybe not that many but a lot lol. I like the idea of both a simple tri-fold and one that flips up against the window. Not a deal breaker either way. I have seen 2 that allow the front to open as well as the rear which I really like. The extang encore and the 64 elite by fold a cover both offer that option. I think I would actually use that if I added one of the tool boxes both offer that sit below the cover. Would be very functional for how I usually use my truck bed. Here are my concerns with any tri-fold that I have seen. Biggest ones are leaks. They all seem to have leak issues, from a few drops to a waterfall. The other is security, some of the tri folds have very easy to break open issues, especially the ones with the cables that you can open with a hanger.
I think I would like a tri-fold as it would give me the option of using most of the bed and the gooseneck when needed but also still give me protection like the fiberglass I am used to. So here is where I am lacking... Does any tri-fold not leak? Or at the least not leak like you put a garden hose in the back of your truck? Normal rain and on the road. Car washes are a different story and I dont use those often. Are any more secure than others?
Any advice, opinion and thoughts on this would be great. If you have the A.R.E. LSII what do you think of it? If you have a diamondback, what do you think? Thanks in advance!!

I've had the folding covers and both a Retrax (currently) and Roll-n-Lock retractable. I think the retractables are great, as you get maximum flexibility - you can lock it in place anywhere along the rail. The folding covers only lock all the way forward to the cab, or "standing up" for full bed access. However, the folding covers are pretty easy to remove when needed. I have/had the retractables on my long beds, but went with the folder on my shortbed.  Don't mind losing the 8-10" in the bed with a full 8'...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tomato said:

I've had the folding covers and both a Retrax (currently) and Roll-n-Lock retractable. I think the retractables are great, as you get maximum flexibility - you can lock it in place anywhere along the rail. The folding covers only lock all the way forward to the cab, or "standing up" for full bed access. However, the folding covers are pretty easy to remove when needed. I have/had the retractables on my long beds, but went with the folder on my shortbed.  Don't mind losing the 8-10" in the bed with a full 8'...

I have looked at the roll and lock and I really like it, the only concern I have is here in western PA we get a lot of snow and ice. Even if I pull the snow off there is still going to be remnants and ice even and I fear that would be a real pain in the winter. 9 months out of the year perfect, 3 not so much. What about water drainage on them as well?

I have the Diamondback. I really like it and would buy another.

I also have a Slide-Master aluminum bed slide that makes access to the bed easy.

I did have a Paragon cover in the past. It was a multi-fold cover made of aluminum that was quick to remove, locked and could accommodate a gooseneck. The drawbacks were that you could not put anything heavy on it and you needed to be careful what you put in the front of the bed if you didn’t have a bed slide drawer as anything tall in the front of the bed blocks the Paragon from opening.

All my trailers are bumper-pulls so I don’t need the gooseneck...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kf9yr said:

I have the Diamondback. I really like it and would buy another.

I also have a Slide-Master aluminum bed slide that makes access to the bed easy.

I did have a Paragon cover in the past. It was a multi-fold cover made of aluminum that was quick to remove, locked and could accommodate a gooseneck. The drawbacks were that you could not put anything heavy on it and you needed to be careful what you put in the front of the bed if you didn’t have a bed slide drawer as anything tall in the front of the bed blocks the Paragon from opening.

All my trailers are bumper-pulls so I don’t need the gooseneck...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I like a lot about the diamondback. Plus they are local to me and support the atv club I am a member of. But a couple of issues I have with it are: I want the HD cover but only want 4 of the tie downs installed. With them, on the HD its all or none. You get 0 installed or 12. I think the 12 makes it look busy? or just overkill. I like the looks of the 4 tie downs on the se model. Its a little cheaper and basically offers the same thing but my thought is for $400 better to just go the hd route. I have called numerous times and asked about getting only the 4 tie downs but they insist they cannot as it is done by a machine. Obviously that machine can only put 4 on so why is it such a big deal. Never got a straight answer, for the amount of money one of these costs, I think a small request like that really should not be an issue or at the least a solid reason of why its not an option. Of course I could install only 4 on my own but the chances of them being evenly spaced and straight... yea. So that has soured me a little along with the 2-3 month wait period on it. I know they had to shut down for a couple months earlier this year but to still be 2-3 months out isnt a good sign. I do like the idea of the cover and thought I was set on it... All of my trailers are bumper pulls at this time but who knows down the road.

16 hours ago, nomadicdogg said:

I have looked at the roll and lock and I really like it, the only concern I have is here in western PA we get a lot of snow and ice. Even if I pull the snow off there is still going to be remnants and ice even and I fear that would be a real pain in the winter. 9 months out of the year perfect, 3 not so much. What about water drainage on them as well?

I'm in CA, so I have not dealt with snow and ice on the cover. However, the Retrax is finished/painted aluminum and should be fine once you clear the large chunks off.  I think you would have similar issues with a fold up cover as well.  The Retrax I had on my '07 had a vynil covering over the slats, so that might not have done well with snow and ice.  Drainage is fine, as you run a couple of drain tubes from the vault down through the holes in your bed. I didn't even use those this time due to how the bed drainage is set up.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tomato said:

I'm in CA, so I have not dealt with snow and ice on the cover. However, the Retrax is finished/painted aluminum and should be fine once you clear the large chunks off.  I think you would have similar issues with a fold up cover as well.  The Retrax I had on my '07 had a vynil covering over the slats, so that might not have done well with snow and ice.  Drainage is fine, as you run a couple of drain tubes from the vault down through the holes in your bed. I didn't even use those this time due to how the bed drainage is set up.

Just watched multiple videos of those in the snow and ice and major issues with function in those situations so they are out for me.

3 hours ago, Tomato said:

3 hours ago, nomadicdogg said:

Just watched multiple videos of those in the snow and ice and major issues with function in those situations so they are out for me.

Ice build up is also my concern being in michigan. Wondering how likely snow or water is to get into the tracks and freeze up the bogey wheels? I'm contemplating getting it any way. Then buying heat tape strips to fasten under the rails and/or stow box and use the AC bed plug to drive the thing. 

I have always had truck caps.  For this truck I went with a Retrax and it's perfect for my needs.  Keeps things dry, but more flexibility than a cap.  My truck is a garage queen and won't go out in the salt anyway, so can't comment on how they are with snow/ice.

I think I have decided to go with the Xceed hard trifolding cover by Extang. Decent reviews, half the price I was looking at and gives me a lot of options for bed use as well as protection.
I dont know if I will love it or not, I guess I can try it out and if I dont like it go back to a fiberglass. Thanks for the input guys

2 hours ago, maynard9089 said:

I have the BakFlip MX4 and it has been great.  If I were to do it over I would look at the BakFlip Revolver X4.  I like the clean look of it.  The others ones you mentioned don't seem practical to me for regular use. 

Not to hijack this thread...but Do you think it'd be possible to cut the revolver down to accomodate a toolbox in the bed? Like take 20" off?

19 hours ago, Stand By said:

Ice build up is also my concern being in michigan. Wondering how likely snow or water is to get into the tracks and freeze up the bogey wheels? I'm contemplating getting it any way. Then buying heat tape strips to fasten under the rails and/or stow box and use the AC bed plug to drive the thing. 

I live in MN and I'm on my 2nd retractable cover.  Yes it gets snowed on but it opens fine after brushing it off.  I suppose if it rained heavy followed by a massive cold front it could freeze shut but that's only an issue if you need to open it right than and there.  It's an awesome cover for quick open access to the bed, especially if you use a gooseneck as I do.  I found the folding covers to be a pain to open, more of a hassle given the effort to open/fold than the few times snow needs to be just brushed off the retractable.  Just my opinion.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Imcrazy said:

Tuxedo Sentry CT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok, thanks. After I posted that, I forgot about my propane buddy heater that would help too, if needed. But yeah, been going through the wet heavy snow that freezes overnight crap for a couple days this week. Temps should drop enough in a couple weeks to help manage things. Things like having the slush plug up the snow blower chute.