Trail Boss, is it the Z71 of years past

Black02Silverado

Just sitting here thinking that the Trail Boss is what Z71 use  to be back in the beginning for the most part.  Now Z71 is just a few things and decals.

Saw on the GM Authority that the Trail Boss is 20% of all Silverado sales this past year.

Is the Trail Boss the Z71 of the past? No. It's better, imo.

There's 8 trim levels, 2 of which are Trail Boss. That's 25% of the trim levels. Therefore I'd argue Trail Boss is underrepresented in sales, but that's not how this works. Trail Boss should be an option package, not a trim level. People should be able to get whatever trim level they want on a truck and add the Trail Boss package. If I could've had a LTZ with the Trail Boss package I would've been all over it. Heated and cooled seats, memory seating, factory navigation, wireless phone charging, towing mirrors with more features, and the brown interior on LTZ and High Country are all features I would've liked to have, but couldn't because I chose the Trail Boss.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

No.  Z71 was always just shocks, skid plates, high capacity filter and stickers.  from 1988 to current.  Sure there is a bit more show 2014-2018 like the fact that Z71 turned into more of a trim level on LT and LTZ.  Those got you specific grille and instrument cluster 2014-2015, and then 2016-2018 got you the body colored bumpers.

Now on T1 there is Z71 available on all trims again except for Custom non TB.  On the WT trim its all mechanical no show.  On LT through High Country its mechanical, the dual exhaust and some show.

Trail Boss is a next level to Z71.  Z71 never got you a 2 inch factory lift.  Trail Boss is more of a whole package.  What is nice however, is you can get the suspension from the Trail Boss and put it on an LT, LTZ or High Country.  Z71 was never like the Trail Boss at any point in time.    

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Transient said:

Is the Trail Boss the Z71 of the past? No. It's better, imo.

There's 8 trim levels, 2 of which are Trail Boss. That's 25% of the trim levels. Therefore I'd argue Trail Boss is underrepresented in sales, but that's not how this works. Trail Boss should be an option package, not a trim level. People should be able to get whatever trim level they want on a truck and add the Trail Boss package. If I could've had a LTZ with the Trail Boss package I would've been all over it. Heated and cooled seats, memory seating, factory navigation, wireless phone charging, towing mirrors with more features, and the brown interior on LTZ and High Country are all features I would've liked to have, but couldn't because I chose the Trail Boss.

You could have got an LTZ and add the suspension since GM sells it as an accessory.  Then you would have had everything you wanted.  

You could have got an LTZ and add the suspension since GM sells it as an accessory.  Then you would have had everything you wanted.  
And still have all that ugly chrome? No black 18" wheels and Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires? I went with function over form. My truck has seen dirt, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be as comfortable as possible.

1 hour ago, Transient said:

And still have all that ugly chrome? No black 18" wheels and Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires? I went with function over form. My truck has seen dirt, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be as comfortable as possible.

Nothing some black vinyl and some tires can't fix...

Nothing some black vinyl and some tires can't fix...
Not necessarily. There are differences. I went with the other option. Get the Trail Boss and add the features I want via the GM parts catalog.

I would consider the TB perfect if it included Bilsteins...

OEM shocks and aftermarket are totally different. Even if they offered Bilstein (they did in the 90s on the Z71s) I’m sure they would be a cheaper version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

OEM shocks and aftermarket are totally different. Even if they offered Bilstein (they did in the 90s on the Z71s) I’m sure they would be a cheaper version.

I have one of those.  Changed out the original Bilsteins with new ones.  Looked & felt exactly the same.  More likely Bilstein wasn't willing to sell out and meet cost targets set by GM, so GM found someone who would....hence you get shitty Ranchos....

When I first saw the Trail Boss, I thought it was a work truck package. My brother’s 2010 Silverado WT has the same cheap looking black grill and bumper. In my opinion, the Trail Boss should have the color matched front end like the RST. 

2 hours ago, CamGTP said:

I think the trail boss is the worst looking of the trucks.

I have one of those.  Changed out the original Bilsteins with new ones.  Looked & felt exactly the same.  More likely Bilstein wasn't willing to sell out and meet cost targets set by GM, so GM found someone who would....hence you get shitty Ranchos....

GMT800s had tenneco shocks. GMT900 went to Rancho

• 4 weeks later...

z71 has better gearing than stock silverados, not sure is the z71 came with aux coolers for motor and trans? was the for the MAX tow model?

black out edition is probably the ugliest trim they offer

Edited by flyingfool