Two 4wd issues related?

So my 05 Silverado developed a slight rubbing noise from in the front end that gets worse when I turn left and better when I turn right. Also, twice in the last week or two while turning left in 4wd there has been a loud popping noise with a little bit of a buck that I tentatively diagnosed as a binding CV joint. The axles look ok, no torn boots or anything, but they're old and both front hubs are brand new. I ordered a pair of new axles for the front but now I'm questioning things. Another symptom is that sometimes when I'm stopped at a stoplight and I put it in 4wd, as I pull away there will be a metal on metal clicking noise and the truck acts like it's in 2wd until the clicking stops. Once the clicking stops, 4wd works normally.

Two questions:
1) Do you guys agree that it seems like it's the axles or do you have other ideas?

2) Bad 4wd actuator? Could the binding CV have caused that?

Edited by Ian Mills

I had a similar issue to this, I got a clunk in shifting from park to reverse and thought it was a regular ujoint, but after getting under the truck and dropping the front drive shaft, I couldnt find any play, same with the back. I jacked the truck up so both fronts were off the ground, and noticed a lot of play on the front drivers tire. I decided to swith out both bearings, and replace the half shafts (cv axle) and it solved my problem.  Also installed new bilstein 5100s all the way around as the truck turned 275k.

sorry i should have said, I had a noise in the front like a washmachine on spin cycle, that would go away at higher speeds.  That issue was fixed with the wheel bearings and cv axles, but the park to reverse clunk did not go away. It doesnt do it from drive to reverse, or reverse to drive, just from park to reverse, so really wasnt worried about it.

Edited by Sharpz

5 hours ago, Sharpz said:

I decided to swith out both bearings

I had a bad wheel bearing so I already replaced both of those. I guess I'll replace the axles when the parts arrive and see where that gets me