2016 Silverado Transmission Failure

I bought this 2016 Silverado crew cab Z71 4X4 new and has 92K miles on it. I was driving on highway on cruise control and all of a sudden the RPM's went up just like it was in natural. I pulled over and the transmission was gone, took to dealership and they said I needed to replace it. The cost is going to be around 5K. This is crazy for this type of failure and GM should foot the bill or at least help.

There’s a reason they stopped doing 100k mile powertrain warranties. I would definitely shop around. The dealerships will always be quite a bit higher then the independent shops. Some will even offer some kind of warranty and you may even find one willing to finance if you can’t front the money now. Is this the 8 speed or the 6?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$5,000 is really high for price to me.

Assuming you have a 6L80e, if my memory is right they are around $2,400-2,600ish for a reman GM transmission. Obviously you'd need to double check with your VIN and or the part number on the current transmission in the truck. Add a torque converter and some fluid and say we are at $3,000. I highly doubt R&R on a transmission is anywhere close to $2,000.

when these fail everything gets wiped out with metal debris.  here are the major fixes you need to update....

https://gearsmagazine.com/magazine/tackling-clutch-failure-in-the-gm-6l80-90/

look on ebay for a (2014-2016) 6L80 trans or the 8speed pre-2017, later Models are locked out and hard to swap,  i think Camaro might have some beefier internals and forged yoke. low milage unit should cost $1100 from wrecking yard.

Edited by flyingfool

On 1/8/2021 at 10:17 PM, flyingfool said:

when these fail everything gets wiped out with metal debris.  here are the major fixes you need to update....

https://gearsmagazine.com/magazine/tackling-clutch-failure-in-the-gm-6l80-90/

look on ebay for a (2014-2016) 6L80 trans or the 8speed pre-2017, later Models are locked out and hard to swap,  i think Camaro might have some beefier internals and forged yoke. low milage unit should cost $1100 from wrecking yard.

if you use the trans out of the camaro youll uave to change the entire tail housing to work with the 4wd and good luck finding one that cheap Ive searched high and low for good 6l80s with low mileage. im about to put the 6l80 out of TrkNrrs truck in my truck ive blown my trans twice truck only has 26xxx but has a turbo kit and i launch in 4x4 and to be fair i dont think it was completely fixed when i got it back from being rebuilt. 

• 3 months later...
On 1/8/2021 at 2:38 PM, CamGTP said:

$5,000 is really high for price to me.

Assuming you have a 6L80e, if my memory is right they are around $2,400-2,600ish for a reman GM transmission. Obviously you'd need to double check with your VIN and or the part number on the current transmission in the truck. Add a torque converter and some fluid and say we are at $3,000. I highly doubt R&R on a transmission is anywhere close to $2,000.

Please help me... So, is a 2020 Ford F-150 with 6-speed auto more-reliable than GM 6L80e? What is the actual failure rate between the two? It sounds like to me that torque converter or total-failure is a common problem in 6L80e.

16 minutes ago, waltchan said:

It sounds like to me that torque converter or total-failure is a common problem in 6L80e.

Nope, it's not.  The 6L80 is a very reliable transmission when operated within its range of performance and with the fluid changed every 36-45K miles.  It has the potential to last even longer with a performance tune.

Are you seriously going to buy a vehicle based on the failure rate of a transmission???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swathdiver said:

Nope, it's not.  The 6L80 is a very reliable transmission when operated within its range of performance and with the fluid changed every 36-45K miles.  It has the potential to last even longer with a performance tune.

Are you seriously going to buy a vehicle based on the failure rate of a transmission???

Therein lies part of the problem. The owner’s manual the General provided with my 6L80E-equipped truck says to change the transmission fluid and filter every 100,000 miles. 

On 5/2/2021 at 1:59 AM, MaverickZ71 said:

Therein lies part of the problem. The owner’s manual the General provided with my 6L80E-equipped truck says to change the transmission fluid and filter every 100,000 miles. 

Well most folks don't think they need to follow the severe service schedule.  The 2016 owner's manual says to change the fluid at 45K miles under that schedule.  Had they followed that, chances are their transmissions would still be original.

• Like 1

Most forget about the transmission until it gives them issues.  Just not on their radar for the most part. 

To me most vehicles are driven in the severe category. 

One other fluid back in the day that was ignored was power steering fluid.  Mainly because it never had issues but to me that doesn't mean to ignore it either.  Now everything is going electric.

• Like 3