Cab to bed gap

What have you guys used to seal the area between the cab and bed? 

On the older generations, the gap was wider, which I was able to squeeze a piece of foam pipe insulation for a 1/2" pipe down and it would expand back to round and stay put the way the bed had a lip on top.

This new design of the carbon pro bed has no such reinforcement lip and is just an inch wide. But that 1" is enough to completely dust over the rear window in 4 miles. I think this new spoiler on back of the cab, makes it worse, by creating a bigger vacuum. 

Looking for some ideas. Not against rtv'ing something to the bed. My mind isn't coming up with anything. 

Thanks in advance. 

20210114_122809.jpg

15 minutes ago, lapoolboy said:

I don't know, but whatever you put in there is going the rub the paint off in short order.

Correct, it has on my 5 other trucks also. It's an acceptable consequence.

Anyone using a tailgate to bed seal? If'n so, do you think a person could incorporate it to be used in this location and not be sucked out doing 80mph?

I haven't seen a good picture of one.

17 minutes ago, lapoolboy said:

Damn!  You REALLY hate dust on your back window then!  ?

Just washed the truck in the shop this morning and it's 2.5 miles to the garage. And this is what I got driving less than 30mph. Wait till is the middle of summer and the roads are completely dry and your driving 60, trying to keep the irrigation pivots running across the county. Welcome to the country.

20210114_135123.jpg

are you 100% certain the dust is only coming up from that gap, and not just from the general turbulent air circulating around the rear end of the vehicle? I mean every SUV's rear window is also covered in dust after driving on an unpaved road. I bet your tailgate is brown too. I've never noticed a truck's rear window as being particularly dirty compared to the rest of the vehicle. Usually it stays pretty clean.

If you are confident that a piece of foam solves your problem, then can't you cut your piece of pipe insulation in 1/2 lengthwise and stick it in the same as before? or try a different size?

Next idea, can you place an adhesive rubber/silicone strip along the top edge of the box?

something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Stripping-Silicone-Adhesive-Anti-Collision-Translucent/dp/B08N5CZKTY/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=rubber+seal+strip&qid=1610655584&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyT0FXUjFITkpMUjVJJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTA0Nzg3MUJORzJGQkxINE9QViZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjA0NTEyU0NaTzNRTjhVUEhSJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Have you considered filling the gap with spray foam? I suggest the bright orange fire block foam. It'll not only stop the dust but it may help if your truck catches on fire.

JMHO

No expertise implied or expressed

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2021 at 5:57 PM, Descartian said:

Adhesive backed foam weather stripping. 

88DD2929-30CE-4D6F-8DC6-805E3825FB9B.jpeg

Thanks for all the reply ideas. I took a chance on this, w/o being able to see it in person. Couldn't have custom made it any better. Cut to length and notch out to fit under bed rail protector. Just reaches to the glass. Looks like with the carbon bed and rear glass the same heighth, this truck won't have rubbed paint.

20210124_113118.jpg

20210124_113224.jpg

• 1 year later...

Gemarsh - What type of weather strip is that and where from?  Is it hard or soft foam rubber?  I need the same solution but for a different reason... my cab vents leak incessantly.  Warranty has done nothing to solve the issue.  I know the issue is water runs off a tonneau (when I had one) and now my toolbox in any water situation... car wash or rainfall.  Going to prevent water entering that gap and force it to the sides... maybe I can keep my carpet dry and the mildew smell away.

Edited by TrucksNotCars

1 hour ago, TrucksNotCars said:

Gemarsh - What type of weather strip is that and where from?  Is it hard or soft foam rubber?  I need the same solution but for a different reason... my cab vents leak incessantly.  Warranty has done nothing to solve the issue.  I know the issue is water runs off a tonneau (when I had one) and now my toolbox in any water situation... car wash or rainfall.  Going to prevent water entering that gap and force it to the sides... maybe I can keep my carpet dry and the mildew smell away.

Well this is it. I paid $18.57 in January of '21. I guess inflation? 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005IUDC16?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title