Inventory and ordering lead times

On 1/25/2021 at 11:10 AM, Rozz522 said:

My intention all along has been to be in a new HD before camping season which begins around mid-May here in Maine. I wasn't in a position to pull the trigger during employee pricing last month, so my plan was to watch inventory and pull the trigger once I found what I wanted closer to May. The problem is, nearly a month after the employee pricing has lapsed, I have seen nearly no new inventory locally and certainly nothing that matches what I am looking for. Are others seeing the same thing in other areas of the country? Is it a high demand, lack of production or both? 

Due to the lack of inventory, I have contemplated ordering a truck for the first time in my life. Recent posts I have seen said that dealers are quoting 10-12 weeks, is this inline with what others who recently ordered are hearing? If I was to order a truck and plan to have it around mid-May, 12 weeks puts me having to place the order around mid-February, so it's getting to be time where if I want to order, I have to make a move. My dealer has been good to deal with, but has been sort of non-committal and doesn't seem overly excited to place an order, but that may very well be because of my level of commitment thus far as well. I would just like to get input for you all as to what everyone else is seeing/hearing out there.

To complicate things, I used the build and price tool on the Educator Discount site last week to configure what I wanted, a 2021 Silverado 2500 6.6 gas LT with leather package, all star package and Z71 package. This weekend I decided to go back in and add the aux. battery and steps to the same configuration but was unable select leather seats. I also was not able to manually add the Convenience 2 package which is automatically added with the Leather Package. Does anyone know if this is an availability issue with something in the Conv. 2 package that GM won't allow the configuration or maybe just a fluke with the build and price tool? I checked the Supplier Discount, Educator Discount (I qualify for either discount) and Chevrolet pages and none of the tools will allow leather seats or Conv. 2 package. Thanks for any input.

Hi I was also told 10-12 weeks here in Mass I am going on week 10 as of last week my truck was on hold but with everything going on and I did order a loaded up At4. Im praying to get my truck early to late aug. late aug will put me at 17 weeks. Probably not much help but a little on waiting on a order. 

Ordered a 2021 3500HD Midnight Edition LT March 17th 2021 was told about 8-10 weeks.  At about 5 weeks in I got an offer on my current truck I was driving and sold it. Shortly after my dealer told me that due to constraints the truck would not be built as a 2021 and had me come to the dealer on June 1st and reorder the truck as a 2022. As of this point the dealer has yet to be able to place the order for the truck due to constraints on the ordering process for the convenience 1 and 2 packages of the LT models.  We are now at 15 weeks since I originally ordered my truck and have sold my other truck. This forced me to purchase another truck and another 5th wheel hitch and pay to have it installed in the meantime to be able to go on planned camping trips but all frustrating expenses on me I have had due to this issue.  Is anyone else experiencing the constraint issue on just getting the order through to GM to simply start building a truck. I am a longtime GM Owner and supporter but very frustrated at this point with the whole situation.

2 minutes ago, Cheddar said:

Ordered a 2021 3500HD Midnight Edition LT March 17th 2021 was told about 8-10 weeks.  At about 5 weeks in I got an offer on my current truck I was driving and sold it. Shortly after my dealer told me that due to constraints the truck would not be built as a 2021 and had me come to the dealer on June 1st and reorder the truck as a 2022. As of this point the dealer has yet to be able to place the order for the truck due to constraints on the ordering process for the convenience 1 and 2 packages of the LT models.  We are now at 15 weeks since I originally ordered my truck and have sold my other truck. This forced me to purchase another truck and another 5th wheel hitch and pay to have it installed in the meantime to be able to go on planned camping trips but all frustrating expenses on me I have had due to this issue.  Is anyone else experiencing the constraint issue on just getting the order through to GM to simply start building a truck. I am a longtime GM Owner and supporter but very frustrated at this point with the whole situation.

Does your dealer have allocations currently for the 22s where they could order one but they can't because of constraints on your selected options?  I have an order in for a 22 but my dealer doesn't have allocations yet.  One of my GMC options was drivers alert 1 package but he hasn't called me to let me know it's a constraint yet.  I think production of the 22s starts 7/12 and I just hope they get my order in by then at least.  I'm trying to be patient but it's hard when you are talking about a new HD truck!  I feel for you and your situation.  I can see how that could happen. Good luck to you.

15 minutes ago, 03 Cobra said:

Does your dealer have allocations currently for the 22s where they could order one but they can't because of constraints on your selected options?  I have an order in for a 22 but my dealer doesn't have allocations yet.  One of my GMC options was drivers alert 1 package but he hasn't called me to let me know it's a constraint yet.  I think production of the 22s starts 7/12 and I just hope they get my order in by then at least.  I'm trying to be patient but it's hard when you are talking about a new HD truck!  I feel for you and your situation.  I can see how that could happen. Good luck to you.

The dealer does not have allocations yet but my order is on their screen so as soon as its available with no constraints they will place the order. Production of the 2022 is supposed to start 7/12 that is why they had me reorder they have already stopped orders of the 2021. I am in hopes it will happen soon , If so maybe I will get it by Christmas.

Edited by Cheddar

25 minutes ago, Cheddar said:

That sucks.  I had a lease due up in july.  Late FEB.  I shopped around and they were telling me 12 weeks or so.  Figured I better get the order in otherwise I would be in a jam.  Ordered a diesel LT and the thing showed up just shy of 8 weeks later in April.   Didnt really want that soon.  But talked to the dealer the other day and still scratching his head on how it came through like that.  But the market is so thin right now and people want top dollar for their trades and pulling triggers.  But I wouldnt be selling my ride till the next one came up

5 minutes ago, nards444 said:

That sucks.  I had a lease due up in july.  Late FEB.  I shopped around and they were telling me 12 weeks or so.  Figured I better get the order in otherwise I would be in a jam.  Ordered a diesel LT and the thing showed up just shy of 8 weeks later in April.   Didnt really want that soon.  But talked to the dealer the other day and still scratching his head on how it came through like that.  But the market is so thin right now and people want top dollar for their trades and pulling triggers.  But I wouldnt be selling my ride till the next one came up

I agree but the used car market is crazy and my other truck was lifted and customized and got more for it than I expected. So I jumped figuring I can go a few weeks without a truck and would have cash in the bank for a down payment as I am not leasing. Did not expect to be months without a truck.

Maybe a little off topic, but wondering how  far would you all  travel to take possession of a new truck from a dealer?

100 miles? 300 miles or more? I know it depends how badly you want/need a truck but how far is to far in your opinions?

I assume you can  still take it to a local gm dealer for any warranty or recall work?

2 hours ago, Mounty said:

Maybe a little off topic, but wondering how  far would you all  travel to take possession of a new truck from a dealer?

100 miles? 300 miles or more? I know it depends how badly you want/need a truck but how far is to far in your opinions?

I assume you can  still take it to a local gm dealer for any warranty or recall work?

Dont let dealers fool you.  You buy a GM product brand new you can bring it to any dealer for warranty work.

My truck got to the dealer on Monday. It has to go and get the body put on it before I can get it. My buddy sent me a pic of it. I have been too lazy to stop in and see it before it gets sent off even though I drive by the dealer every day.

15 hours ago, Mounty said:

I drove about 100 miles to buy the truck I am driving now.  Lexington Park to Cockeysville MD.  It complicates the issue of how to handle the trade in.

1 hour ago, Snow Shovel said:

I drove about 100 miles to buy the truck I am driving now.  Lexington Park to Cockeysville MD.  It complicates the issue of how to handle the trade in.

There is some issues with traveling to get a truck.  Finance, trade in, registration.  State of NY you cant drive off the lot until the truck is registered(which dealers can do), but if your not in NY nobody can register.  Have to pay taxes.  Unless I

13 hours ago, 2021 HD said:

My truck got to the dealer on Monday. It has to go and get the body put on it before I can get it. My buddy sent me a pic of it. I have been too lazy to stop in and see it before it gets sent off even though I drive by the dealer every day.

body put on?

On 7/1/2021 at 11:46 AM, Mounty said:

I was ready to go to Illinois from LA to save an extra 3k....found it Arizona 400 miles away...not quite as cheap but not alot more....lot less travel, lol

Plane ticket $40....left @ 11 am and was home @ 10pm...they ubered me from airport....they filled up gas tank and made it home on that....saved 5k over local dealers in feb.......

I used my CU and while I was on the plane I got a notice from GMC congratulating me on my new truck and 20000 more points....I was in and out of the dealer in 40 minutes....sold my 2020 2500 for $3500 profit to carvana the next cpl o days (should have kept it as they are so much more capable but whateves)

If someone said I'll give you 5k cash to fly to Phoenix and drive back would you do it.....every day of the week!

Now I want to go back to 2500....I am a hot friggen mess, I don't know what the F is wrong wit me, but clearly something!

Edited by Dunn

Friend does the dealer ordering

This is what he gave me for 2022 (dates are fluid, subject to change or delays so dates are as of this past Weds))

2500HD 1st order cycle is scheduled for 8/12 allocation, production start 7/12/21 

1500LD  1st order cycle is scheduled for 8/12 w/allocation, production start 9/20/21