New supercharged Cadillacs

So GM just released their black wing addition CT4 and  CT5 cars

CT4 with a twin turbo 3.6L at 472 HP 445TQ

CT5 with a supercharged 6.2L at 668 HP 659TQ

Now why can’t GM incorporate the 3.6L engine into a new ZR2 Colorado/Canyon. Also add a sports truck model and call it a typhoon/syclone

And for full-size Incorporate the 6.2L into the full-size and make a new SS model for a sport truck and a ZRX model for you off road guys. We all know this paired with the 10 spd would hang with RAM TRX very well. 

Let’s start a coversation on this and things you would like to see 

Good day gentlemen 

Edited by TNTSilverado
  • Like 1

It would be nice to have dealer installed S/C. Like Toyota used to do. Maybe still does? Wish I knew about it at the time. The problem. Anytime you buy a factory S/C or hot rod. You have to buy a bunch of extras that drives up the price. I was never interested in suspension and brakes etc. they threw into the mix. Just some extra kick to the speed limit or extra passing power. Not everyone is wanting 500HP is headed to the auto cross. The good old days when you could get a stripper with a 427. Ram, dodge comes close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was talk in 2019 and early 2020 of a possible Raptor killer from GM identified as a "Silverado ZR2" which was a 6.2 liter with 3rd party suspension parts.  An even more aggressive package would provide a supercharged 6.2 Liter but ever since the release of that information there has been nothing.  With the TRX's and Raptors out there raking in the cash, I can't see GM sitting around too much longer.  Hopefully this doesn't turn into a "too little and too late" endeavor where we get a sporty truck for 3 years then it gets canceled because of low sales volumes due to its late arrival in a flooded market.

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/new-info-on-the-chevy-silverado-zr2-proves-it-won-t-compete-with-the-ram-1500-trx-or-ford-f-150-raptor-ar189444.html

Edited by Gangly

Even though the ZR2 concept is a cool off-road concept it was rumored to only have the regular 420hp 6.2. They could easily drop the LT4 or LT5 in a Yukon. 

GM doesn’t build the truck I want so I’m having it built. Single cab short bed with the 6.2. In fact going with a stroked and blown 6.2 (now 6.8). 

GM builds some great vehicles but often misses the mark. 

9 minutes ago, Descartian said:

Even though the ZR2 concept is a cool off-road concept it was rumored to only have the regular 420hp 6.2. They could easily drop the LT4 or LT5 in a Yukon. 

GM doesn’t build the truck I want so I’m having it built. Single cab short bed with the 6.2. In fact going with a stroked and blown 6.2 (now 6.8). 

GM builds some great vehicles but often misses the mark. 

That would be an interesting build to follow.  There are some great shops here in Houston, I assume since your from here you will be having the engine built locally?

1 minute ago, Gangly said:

That would be an interesting build to follow.  There are some great shops here in Houston, I assume since your from here you will be having the engine built locally?

I don’t know of many people locally. I’m sure there’s some great shops out there though. I plan on buying a Edlebrock crate engine at 851hp. Cones with a 2year/unlimited mile warranty.  J-Rods speed shop in Richmond is going to do the install and dyno tuning. Short bed conversion (5’8” bed) is being done by a shop in north houston. It’s in the car audio shop now, then for leather seats, then the body shop, then the engine swap, then for a built transmission at Circle D. I’m probably not going to have my truck for 3-5 months.....  

Its going to be a fun project. 

• Thanks 1

Cadillac started turbocharging the 3.6 v6 back in 2014 in then CTS V sport, so I doubt it will make it into anything else since it hasn’t already. It’s too bad Cadillac is calling these newish motors Blackwings, after canning the 4.2 liter V8 550 hp Blackwing motors... a wasted 16 million dollars.  I wonder if a CT6 V, a low 12 second big Cadillac, will be a collector car in the future.  Hopefully though these new Cadillacs will boost image and ideally sales.  The brand definitely needs it.  

And with the push towards GM electric, how much more research and development will go into V8 gas motor development.  What we have now could be the end of the line for GM and powerful gas motors. 

Edited by SILVER SLED

What happened to the black wing 4.2 Turbo V8? Also the Escalade could really use a High performance option to compete with the Range Rover. Why not stick this motor in it ? It will sell and people will buy it. 

The 3.6 V6 in the CT4-V Blackwing is not supercharged guys - it's twin turbo. It's the LF4 motor - same as what was in the ATS-V - a version of it (LF3) was offered in the CTS V Sport.

I would guess GM doesn't use this motor in other applications cause it really doesn't seem like a "truck" engine. As it pains me to say I can't see GM putting either the LT4 or LT5 in any truck. Even the L87 seems like a stretch 

Edited by Dinner
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Gangly said:

There was talk in 2019 and early 2020 of a possible Raptor killer from GM identified as a "Silverado ZR2" which was a 6.2 liter with 3rd party suspension parts.  An even more aggressive package would provide a supercharged 6.2 Liter but ever since the release of that information there has been nothing.  With the TRX's and Raptors out there raking in the cash, I can't see GM sitting around too much longer.  Hopefully this doesn't turn into a "too little and too late" endeavor where we get a sporty truck for 3 years then it gets canceled because of low sales volumes due to its late arrival in a flooded market.

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/new-info-on-the-chevy-silverado-zr2-proves-it-won-t-compete-with-the-ram-1500-trx-or-ford-f-150-raptor-ar189444.html

I'm no expert but I would have to guess GM will not entertain the muscle off-road truck segment. GM just seems like they're on a completely different path from Ford and FCA. And if they do I would agree that it'll be too little and too late. 

Agreed on this. GM should have had SS variants of the Blazer, Traverse, Colorado ZR2 Bison, XT5/6-V and offered the LF4. Could have spread the cost around. Loaded LTZ like Trail boss with ZR2 suspension and LT4 ..... Shut up and take my money. Dreams only I guess. 

11 minutes ago, BloodRedSkies737 said:

Agreed on this. GM should have had SS variants of the Blazer, Traverse, Colorado ZR2 Bison, XT5/6-V and offered the LF4. Could have spread the cost around. Loaded LTZ like Trail boss with ZR2 suspension and LT4 ..... Shut up and take my money. Dreams only I guess. 

Agreed. I’ve been wanting another SS truck model for a long time. They also could have stuffed the 5.3L into the Traverse and blazer and really had a nice SS hot rod family hauler that is reliable and gets decent gas mileage. (Via you keep your foot off the pedal) 
The ZR2 Bison should have definitely had the twin turbo 3.6L from the get go. I just don’t see how GM doesn’t want a piece of the market that Ram and Ford have. Also none of them have a sport truck model. 

6 minutes ago, TNTSilverado said:

Agreed. I’ve been wanting another SS truck model for a long time. They also could have stuffed the 5.3L into the Traverse and blazer and really had a nice SS hot rod family hauler that is reliable and gets decent gas mileage. (Via you keep your foot off the pedal) 
The ZR2 Bison should have definitely had the twin turbo 3.6L from the get go. I just don’t see how GM doesn’t want a piece of the market that Ram and Ford have. Also none of them have a sport truck model. 

I agree it's shocking and no reason it couldn't have been done. A 5.3 in the Colorado(like the original) would have been awesome. I get it they didn't want to cut out more Silverado sales, but a true ZR2 monster LF4.... I might have strongly looked at one.