In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Mercracing

3.0 Fuel and Mileage

Curious if anyone has the 3.0 in their AT4 with 35” tires to see what their fuel mileage is. I currently have the 6.2 with 35x11.50 Ridge Grapplers and would like to know what the 3.0 would yield with the same setup. 

I want a 3.0 as well... but mpg seems weak to me... my 5.3 does close to what 3.0 does.. and fuel is cheaper... my 5.3 has a range so it is not the mpg best configuration for it either..

E553D3D2-949E-45E8-A164-8D0D9694A596.jpeg

1 hour ago, PPK said:

I want a 3.0 as well... but mpg seems weak to me... my 5.3 does close to what 3.0 does.. and fuel is cheaper... my 5.3 has a range so it is not the mpg best configuration for it either..

What's your hand calculated mileage? 

I'm getting about 650-700 miles per tank with my 3.0.

• Like 1

Getting around 30mpg Aran average speed is 60 mph, best I’ve seen is 40.3 mpg at speeds of 45 mph for about 15 miles.

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, mjonesjr84 said:

Is your RST a 2wd or 4wd. and tow mirrors or standard?

1 minute ago, redwngr said:

Is your RST a 2wd or 4wd. and tow mirrors or standard?

4wd with standard mirrors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjonesjr84 said:

I have hand tested two tanks - one was a half mpg low and one a quarter mpg high than the dash. I am no hot rod... but i think you need more than 25 mile distances to get a fair reading. 50 mile distance should always be lower... stock tires with 42 lbs in them. 6 sp.. bedcover, which helped mine a liitle too. Nobody should gripe about either motor. They are both great. I suppose if i wanted the next step up in mpg i would need a canyon with the duramax....

All that said... i do think that the 5.3 is doing 2 mpg better than my F150 with 2.7 did. The 2018 sierra is a little shorter than the ford... and maybe that is what we are measuring. Anyway.. this L83 is so much superior to my ‘05 yukon 5.3 i can’t believe it. Astounding.

Edited by PPK

I have hand tested two tanks - one was a half mpg low and one a quarter mpg high than the dash. I am no hot rod... but i think you need more than 25 mile distances to get a fair reading. 50 mile distance should always be lower... stock tires with 42 lbs in them. 6 sp.. bedcover, which helped mine a liitle too. Nobody should gripe about either motor. They are both great. I suppose if i wanted the next step up in mpg i would need a canyon with the duramax....

All that said... i do think that the 5.3 is doing 2 mpg better than my F150 with 2.7 did. The 2018 sierra is a little shorter than the ford... and maybe that is what we are measuring. Anyway.. this L83 is so much superior to my ‘05 yukon 5.3 i can’t believe it. Astounding.

I think whole tank distance or at least the 450 mile setting is the only reasonable long term mileage. If I do my once a 3 month trip on the I highway for 25 miles, my 50 mile average is amazing (about 23-24mpg). Otherwise, my 450 mile average is 16.2mpg, which is far more realistic to the hand calculation over a tank of 95% city driving.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, heymrdjCW said:

I think whole tank distance or at least the 450 mile setting is the only reasonable long term mileage. If I do my once a 3 month trip on the I highway for 25 miles, my 50 mile average is amazing (about 23-24mpg). Otherwise, my 450 mile average is 16.2mpg, which is far more realistic to the hand calculation over a tank of 95% city driving.

Agreed. My since new mpg is 23.8 at 11,000 + miles. I am always on the open road - no city.  That is 1 mpg better than my f150 - and it read 2 mpg high on the dash... Ferds!! That 2.7 Ferd is good motor, too if you don’t mind new oil pans every couple oil changes... 

Edited by PPK

17 minutes ago, PPK said:

I suppose if i wanted the next step up in mpg i would need a canyon with the duramax....

Nope, you'd be surprised on how much better the 3.0 in the Silverado gets than the 2.8 in the Colorado. See the EPA comparison below on the 2 trucks.

Untitled.png

Here are my best scores for each of the truck's computer as well as my current tank of fuel. Obviously the 25 and 50 mile range are very inaccurate. I wish they had options of 100, 250, and 500 since the 3.0 has the capability of going well beyond 500 miles on a single tank.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Yeah, Im gonna call BS on the comparison....

I own both trucks.  My Denali maxed 36mpg on a road trip.  My Canyon made it to 46mpg.

Either way terrific numbers, but no way better than the Canyon diesel.

9 minutes ago, steve841 said:

Yeah, Im gonna call BS on the comparison....

I own both trucks.  My Denali maxed 36mpg on a road trip.  My Canyon made it to 46mpg.

Either way terrific numbers, but no way better than the Canyon diesel.

Those are the EPA posted numbers that you'd find on a window sticker. Real world numbers are always different. Obviously even different for every person according to the mpg numbers posted throughout this forum.

Oh well... when a canyon starts looking as good as this sierra.. i will trade. It will be a while.. 

15E0F725-ABB9-4EAB-B6ED-DD2B7E6E6E54.jpeg