3.0 Fuel and Mileage

I noticed something interesting reading the 3.0 supplement about fuel. GM only wants “top tier” diesel. Interestingly enough, Costco is the only place that offers “top tier” diesel in the US. So I looked, and Costco is 0.40$ cheaper per gallon!! I’ve gotten fuel there twice now and my last tank I hand calculated 20.95 mpg! That’s with a lot of sub zero idling!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Mercracing said:

I noticed something interesting reading the 3.0 supplement about fuel. GM only wants “top tier” diesel. Interestingly enough, Costco is the only place that offers “top tier” diesel in the US. So I looked, and Costco is 0.40$ cheaper per gallon!! I’ve gotten fuel there twice now and my last tank I hand calculated 20.95 mpg! That’s with a lot of sub zero idling!

Yep good point to mske fellow owners aware of.  I read you can buy the AC Delco diesel fuel conditioner to help ensure the recommend level of detergents and additives, I think it was in the owners manual too.

No where down south here in Alabama have I been able to find top tier diesel unfortunately.  Doesn't seem to be offered or available.

To mitigate that, I use Amsoil diesel fuel treatments and BlueDEF Platinum.  Amsoil makes great quality products.

I use what ever is cheap and I’m getting similar mileage, even with a bumper replacement on the front.

2 hours ago, sethro274 said:

I use what ever is cheap and I’m getting similar mileage, even with a bumper replacement on the front.

Bumper replacement?  (Not to hijack the thread) but what bumper did you find for the Diesel?

Also, I am getting between 20-23 MPG pretty regularly. Best ever was 31 in my AT4 cruising at about 55 mpg.  

I just installed 285/70/18's and have noticed a decrease in mileage just from the tires...

Bumper replacement?  (Not to hijack the thread) but what bumper did you find for the Diesel?

Also, I am getting between 20-23 MPG pretty regularly. Best ever was 31 in my AT4 cruising at about 55 mpg.  

I just installed 285/70/18's and have noticed a decrease in mileage just from the tires...

I have a Frontier. EDIT: the guys that installed

It said it was a pain because it was a diesel. They said there was a lot of extra things they had to do.

3f89201faed20c1f4c95d4a23d1ca9f4.jpg

6 hours ago, Xterrable said:

Only 31 mpg? I have the 5.3 V8 with 8-speed and 4x4. My best mileage was 28.8 going 55 mph on a very flat surface. And that was going back and forth on a 35-mile stretch.

I regularly get 20 mpg since most of my driving is now city.

Yes, bigger tires do make mpg worse and for my F-150, a topper cut off 2 mpg.

image.thumb.png.6463510296ca1b003c6ed3b6349021f1.png

Only 31 mpg? I have the 5.3 V8 with 8-speed and 4x4. My best mileage was 28.8 going 55 mph on a very flat surface. And that was going back and forth on a 35-mile stretch.

I regularly get 20 mpg since most of my driving is now city.

Yes, bigger tires do make mpg worse and for my F-150, a topper cut off 2 mpg.

image.thumb.png.6463510296ca1b003c6ed3b6349021f1.png

Wow I wish, my 5.3 was an average lifetime speed of 28mph, pretty much all city driving, and it’s 450mile average was always about mid 16mpg, even worse in the winter with the idling. Only way it could get above that was some highway driving, but most weeks it would never get above 50mph. Of course, I only looked at the 450 mile average. I find anything less to be far too optimistic of a number.

I've driven 12,386.6 miles in my '20 RST 4wd since I got it in October (had 146 miles on it). My best tank mpg was 29.349 mpg. My worst tank was 20.351 while pulling a 18' box trailer moving my grandpa (lowest before this was 23.983 mpg). My average overall is 26.350 mpg. I always get fuel at stations that have high fuel turnover so the fuel isn't stale in the storage tanks. I also remote start my truck and if I'm making a quick in/out of a store it idles.

I'm not sure why most of you all are not getting better mileage. It surprise me to see people with the 3.0 only getting roughly 20 mpg.

• Like 1

I've driven 12,386.6 miles in my '20 RST 4wd since I got it in October (had 146 miles on it). My best tank mpg was 29.349 mpg. My worst tank was 20.351 while pulling a 18' box trailer moving my grandpa (lowest before this was 23.983 mpg). My average overall is 26.350 mpg. I always get fuel at stations that have high fuel turnover so the fuel isn't stale in the storage tanks. I also remote start my truck and if I'm making a quick in/out of a store it idles.

I'm not sure why most of you all are not getting better mileage. It surprise me to see people with the 3.0 only getting roughly 20 mpg.

I’m expecting my mileage to go up as I get more miles on mine.

1 minute ago, Mercracing said:

We’re they this time of year? I’m sure there’s a healthy bit of number 1 mixed in right now in Wisconsin.

No, they were in October and November. We had already started getting the winter blend diesel when I got my truck. All of my mileages have been on winter blend diesel. I'm excited to see what my mileage does when we get away from the winter blend.