2 inch level...tires still rub

Screenshot_20210314-213232_Gallery.thumb.jpg.828e85473913c9650b9588e9b601e2fd.jpgI installed a 2 inch rough country leveling kit on the front of my 2wd 2017 tx edition sierra in hopes that it wouldn't ride with the nose down like a bulldozer anymore and also with the hopes to be able to fit some 275/65r20 ridge grapplers on My factory wheels...tire shop called me after I ordered the tires and dropped it off to be installed and said it was rubbing on the sway bars is I believe what he said...first question is why is it still no much higher in the rear still?...on the tape measure it's still 2 inches higher in the rear....second question-if I lift it another 1/2 inch will it help fitment of the new tires without wheel spacers?.

Screenshot_20210314-213244_Gallery.jpg

1.) What was your factory tire size? 275/55r20 is equivalent to a 32” tire. A 275/65r20 is equivalent to a 34” tall tire. I know at some point GM changed the factory tire size from a 275/55 to a 275/60 but not sure when.

2.) It probably only runs the sway bar at full lock and even then my guess is it’s minimal.

3.) The rear end always sits higher to account for the load added to the bed. Did you add any lift to the rear when you did the front?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm certain it's installed correctly...i put it on myself and earn a living with a wrench in my hands since puberty....I called rough county and they tried to tell me my struts could be weak and wore out....I find that hard to believe at 50k miles

I was a little disappointed after a 2” level too. Mine still sits about an inch higher in the rear.   I moved up to a an equivalent 33” tire and still rub,  so not surprised your 34’s are rubbing. Mines not bad and only at full lock but I’m still looking into full lift kits to remedy. 

D5827E70-9614-4267-A180-D920C70BBC41.jpeg

Edited by johnnychuttz

I doubt you can fit 34" tires on factory wheels with factory offset. Even with a 2" level. I think you need a 4"+ lift (with changes to drive line to accommodate). I got a level (2018 1500) by adding new FOX coilover/struts. The front end went from 36.5" ground to fender, to 38.6". With 33x11 tires on 18x9 +1 wheels, I needed some fender trimming and adjustments to mud flaps to not rub. The different offset (from -24 to +1) helped clear the running gear (arms, sway bar, etc). 
I do see some people claiming to get 34" to fit on a 2" level, and I tried (34.3" - 295/70) but even on the new wheels, it was rubbing at full lock. I am not a fan of that, so I went smaller (33.1 - 295/65).

In my experience, bigger tires need aftermarket wheels with more offset. And bigger than 33x11 needs lots of trimming.  

I had a 2" level and ran 33x12.5x18s on stock wheels.
The only rubbing I had was on the stock UCA at full lock.
Indeed, there was still a 1.5" difference from front to back measured by the fender heights.
This is not a good way to check level.
I went to a 3" level and a 1" rear block lift as well as a rear 1.5" spring lift and a 1.5" body lift.
Replaced the stock UCAs with Motofab UCAs.
35x12.5x18s fit on stock wheels - the black rims are chevy stock black aluminum.

IMG_0147.jpg

Edited by MikeBMW
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 7:41 AM, Derekg22 said:

Yes I'm aware why they ride higher in the rear....I was hoping by installing a "leveling kit" it would be more level....I did not add any lift spacers to the rear....just the 2 inch leveling kit to the front

Honestly, the 2 inch leveling kit would have worked fine with your stock tires...  Even with a 3" leveling kit and a 1" rear block, you will still rub with your current tire size.  I installed a 3" leveling kit on my buddy's 2015 Silverado and he runs 20" wheels on 33's and he still rubs.   My thoughts are you need at least 4.5" suspension lift to clear your tires.  It sucks cause it'll cost you more than a 2" leveling kit....  If all fails, go big... like 15" lift...ha ha ha!  Good luck!

IMG_4192.jpeg

Edited by Kailua Knight
couldn't load picture

Honestly, the 2 inch leveling kit would have worked fine with your stock tires...  Even with a 3" leveling kit and a 1" rear block, you will still rub with your current tire size.  I installed a 3" leveling kit on my buddy's 2015 Silverado and he runs 20" wheels on 33's and he still rubs.   My thoughts are you need at least 4.5" suspension lift to clear your tires.  It sucks cause it'll cost you more than a 2" leveling kit....  If all fails, go big... like 15" lift...ha ha ha!  Good luck!
IMG_4192.thumb.jpeg.b0005fa2da7e0b5d7bb28fadc4a97a89.jpeg
Dats beeeg. Where's the 40's?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2021 at 9:34 AM, Derekg22 said:

So i ended up going with a 275/60r20 after leveling the front 2 inches and removing the rear 1.25 inch factory blocks in the rear...still ha lil bit of rake and I'm happy with it like that so when I haul its not nose up like a boat

I have a 2017 Sierra 6.2L SLT Crew Cab with a Magnuson Supercharger (so a little added weight in the engine bay). Ground to fender height on the back is 39.5" and front is 35.5". A 4 inch rake seems like a lot to me...not sure if it's settled a bit over the years. I've been thinking of doing the exact same thing as you - a 2" leveling lit up front and remove the rear blocks so I can swap out the old 275/55/20s for 275/60/20s. Any info or advice since you've already done this?

Advice is just do it! If you have the stock wheels you will likely rub with the  275/60/20s at full turn. It's not bad but can get annoying. Do the front first and then decide if it's too much rake for you still. Otherwise do a 2.5" level and leave the rear alone. 

37 minutes ago, 3tspapat said:

Advice is just do it! If you have the stock wheels you will likely rub with the  275/60/20s at full turn. It's not bad but can get annoying. Do the front first and then decide if it's too much rake for you still. Otherwise do a 2.5" level and leave the rear alone. 

I have zero rubbing up front with the setup I just did.....id assume any bigger itd be a problem though