Sun glare on center console

I can't be the only one with this issue, but when the sun is up, the trim around my center console gives off a nasty glare right into my face. Has anyone solved this issue? I have 5 percent tint all the way around, plus the sun strip. 

A08F33D5-BE27-404D-9119-DAF781586F13.jpeg

I can't stand chrome. why do manufacturers put it on the interior of a car of all places? its so hard to remove from interiors because the chrome parts are often so small and difficult to remove, paint, or wrap without damage. for the exact reason you see there, it seem to be a safety hazard! I once drove a Dodge Charger that was probably the worst of all. if the sun was out no matter what direction you were traveling some piece of interior chrome reflected the sun directly into your eyes. it had this big CHARGER badge on the passenger's side dash, all chrome, you'd be seeing spots if that thing caught the sun. then just as you round the corner expecting relief the sun hits the big chrome driver's door handle and now your other eye is blasted...

I haven't put much effort into removing the chrome on the interior of my truck, especially because it seems to be a brushed chrome, its not quite as mirror reflective as the exterior stuff. (it still reflects the sun into your eyes just as easily as the mirror chrome though) but I'd look into a vinyl wrap or something to cover it up. no only will it solve this dangerous situation, but it would look so much better.

I saw a picture somewhere on this forum of someone who had their interior chrome wrapped in a matte brushed copper vinyl or something similar to that. it looked really good.

My Camaro has the exact same issue between 12 and 1 pm.  The chrome on the dash around the gauges will blind you.  I agree that I don't know why they put these crap chrome pieces inside or outside of vehicles.  Chrome should be an extra add on and the default state of a vehicle should be color matched on the outside and brushed chrome or whatever that won't reflect the sun right into your eyes.

Best thing to do is get a vinyl wrap and it'll solve the issue.

3 hours ago, 1454 said:

I had to vinyl wrap mine. It did it twice on the way home my first week of ownership and I remedied that this weekend. 

How did you vinyl wrap it

2 minutes ago, 1454 said:

I took a 2  inch wide strip of 3M vinyl and then used a sharp exacto knife to trim the excess. 

I was thinking of asking for tips since I haven't done this myself yet. did you take any of the pieces off or do the work with them installed? many of the chrome pieces are actually separable from what's around then. the ones around the LCD screen for example are attached with screws and some melted plastic tabs. you'd have to break the tabs, but they should be able to reinstall pretty easily. I'm wondering if all of that is worth the effort to be able to wrap the vinyl around behind the piece to prevent any chrome peeking through or if its possible to do just as good a job without taking things apart. any advice?

could you post some pictures? I'd really like to see how it came out.

did you attempt the door handles by any chance? they will be tough due to the shape, I'm wondering if the chrome part of those can be removed somehow so the vinyl can be stretched and wrapped around the back.

5 hours ago, kodiakdenali said:

did you attempt the door handles by any chance? they will be tough due to the shape, I'm wondering if the chrome part of those can be removed somehow so the vinyl can be stretched and wrapped around the back.

3/0 heat shrink tubing works wonders on the handles.

15 minutes ago, kodiakdenali said:

Interesting idea, what about the open end though?

Yep, doesn't shrink closed. Yep, shiny handles are black. I tried one of those black rubber caps on the end and shrunk around it, but the handles aren't round and it looked goofier that a half closed end that you don't really see.

I would need to research a lot more to see what products are out there, but it appears that there at least exists some "end cap" heat shrink tubes, the largest ones here are about 4.5" long, basically a piece of heat shrink but with one end capped off instead of just open. this could be a great solution to the door handles.

https://www.amazon.com/Heat-Shrink-End-Cap-Pieces/dp/B00ZYTQ7A4/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=heat%2Bshrink%2Bend%2Bcap&qid=1618499373&sr=8-3&th=1

much better options than amazon:

https://www.mcmaster.com/Heat-Shrink-Tubing/heat-shrink-tubing-type~end-caps/

unless some company out there would be able to make a perfect fit flat black silicone cap that can be installed over the handles and easily removed if you want to sell and the new buyer likes chrome.

Edited by kodiakdenali

I was thinking of asking for tips since I haven't done this myself yet. did you take any of the pieces off or do the work with them installed? many of the chrome pieces are actually separable from what's around then. the ones around the LCD screen for example are attached with screws and some melted plastic tabs. you'd have to break the tabs, but they should be able to reinstall pretty easily. I'm wondering if all of that is worth the effort to be able to wrap the vinyl around behind the piece to prevent any chrome peeking through or if its possible to do just as good a job without taking things apart. any advice? could you post some pictures? I'd really like to see how it came out.

No, I didn't attempt the door handles, because I didn't really intend on doing a full blackout job. I just couldn't deal with the glare. You have enough of an edge that as long as you use a sharp enough knife, you can cut around the edges. I used a mini squeegee to get it laid down tight to the edge and then cut the excess. I'm by no means a professional and there are small chome gaps. But it's far more tolerable than getting blinded by the sun. Just make sure you buy a minimum of 4in wide vinyl or you will have to do a ton of stretching like me. 226418daa3a1f4f17a54b1530f999474.jpg20149e1f5f4cefe4cca72c9c37910085.jpg