Crazy prices for used pickups?

Hi All,

So, I have a 2017 Silverado High Country with 6.2 engine.  Had bought it initially to occasionally and only locally tow my 6000# boat, but ended up using it for trips with family - 46,000 miles.  White, brown interior with piping a la the usual High Country thing.

Was checking, just for grins, on Facebook marketplace ... CRAZY numbers folks are asking - like in the low 50s ... I don't want a new truck, but is this just a time to take advantage of the used market?

Anyone gone through this thought process recently?

Thanks!

Nope, here is why.

I need my truck. If you maintain your own home, you will also. Don't be that guy constantly pestering someone if they'll help you move, pick this up, etc.

If you sell, now what? You're going to lose anything you gained to buy another truck, and with the low stock of new out there, you're gambling on someone else's used truck. 

It makes no sense at all.

Edited by HeySkippyDog

Carvana offered me more than I paid for my truck new.  Problem is finding a replacement truck.  Tried at my go-to high volume dealer (as they have sane prices), but nothing in-stock for what I want (loaded AT4 with the diesel or 6.2).  

I've decided to wait until the '22 comes out then try upgrading then, as they are supposed to have an updated interior.  I realize I will be paying more but if I can drive my truck for almost 3 years for nothing or next to nothing, I can deal with that and have a newer, even nicer truck.  But it will require both getting the right truck and the right price for mine or I'll simply keep mine.

Many homeowners are facing a similar dilemma.  It is a great time to sell but no advantage if you need a house or truck.  Sell your truck if you don't need/want it but you won't make any bonus money if you're going to upgrade.

I myself sold a 2015 High Country Duramax recently.  Got more than I paid for it almost 4 years ago and ended up getting in to a new truck. Not a high Country dmax but a 1 ton 6.6L for only 9g's more than I sold it for.  Less truck kind of but not kind of too.  Truck I sold I already knew I wasn't keeping forever as the head gasket went with a month left of warranty. And I noticed some leaks recently starting.  It made sense for me. And now I have a new model with warranty for not much more than I sold mine for.  Got a 6 year bumper to bumper warranty in the deal too.  Plenty of advantage depending on your situation and needs/wants.  Gota weigh your personal pros and cons right

Edited by THE YETI
  • Like 1

I recently traded mine. I went into it like this. If I can add a few thousand to my loan which was in the back half of being paid off,  and find a dealer who is willing to sell for a fair price, then I would do it.  For me it was supplier price and rebates seemed fair. I didn’t shoot for top dollar for my trade, but I didn’t give it away either. Well I gave away the majority of my add ons, but you normally don’t recoup that anyway.  Ended up being about 2k less than what I gave for the truck. My deal worked out. Had to drive a few hours and the truck is not exactly what I wanted, but very similar to what I had.  I talked to the dealer about it while it was listed as in transit.  Got a jump on the deal and they didn’t try to sell it out from under me.  

I thought about it. My 2019 LD is worth more than I paid for it two years and 10k miles ago. But in the end I need a truck and I've spent a lot getting this one the way I want it. It's also my backup daily driver. 

i looked just for the heck of it. i can trade my truck in for more than i paid for it now. the price went up about 6k

my house is up 100k

Edited by djw88