Lifter issue: TSB PIP5776E - published June 18

12 minutes ago, jayoco said:

100% certain.  I've been under there 3 times now.  It's definitely an N.  I'd email GM but I have no idea who to email.  The only other plant that builds the engine is the Spring Hill, TN plant but I couldn't find their letter code.

St. Catherine's in Canada does as well. Let me ask an engineer.  It's stumping me. I'm just a lowly pipefitter!

On 8/25/2021 at 1:51 AM, Transient said:

OnStar has NEVER been a concierge service.  $70k trucks still don't come with bidets.  People need to stop expecting it to clean their rears.  Finding out what you're actually paying for before you agree to it is a smart move.  Stuff happens.  Been there, done that.  I lose faith in people whenever they display a lack of basic intelligence via claiming the amount of money they spent on a vehicle should make it perfect, and that they didn't know what they were paying for.  I'll take a $70k truck over a $170k any day for 1 reason: The more expensive the vehicle the more problems they'll have and the more expensive they are to keep on the road.

Unfortunately your ignorance is showing. Onstar has always claimed to be a concierge service when an emergency arises. Please do some research prior to replying, and only add intelligent, beneficial replies. 

My 2021 Silverado with 4700 miles had the bad lifter problem and it went in to the dealer on 8/2/21 and I just got it back on 8/25/21. They replaced all 16 lifters since it had less than 8000 miles on it. They used service bulletin #PIP5776F according to my work order. Runs quieter than it ever did.

I don't know the build date on my 21 5.3 but I have noticed a ticking noise at idle especially after cold starts. Is this a possible lifter issue? I have about 4400 miles, no check engine light. Truck drives good but me and my wife have noticed the noise at idle with vehicle in Park.

Open the drivers door and look at the sticker with the VIN on it, in the top corner will be a production month/year. That will give you a quick idea of when the truck was built.

To get the exact build date on the engine you need to find the Julian date on the engine block.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 1:40 PM, lefty123 said:

My 2021 Silverado with 4700 miles had the bad lifter problem and it went in to the dealer on 8/2/21 and I just got it back on 8/25/21. They replaced all 16 lifters since it had less than 8000 miles on it. They used service bulletin #PIP5776F according to my work order. Runs quieter than it ever did.

i hope you get more than 8k miles out new lifters i had mine replaced and all. lasted 6500 miles and blew up on me after all 16 was replaced now the truck is been at dealer for 40 days and new engine on way i bet i get rid of this thing fast

On 8/25/2021 at 9:10 PM, Firehawk99 said:

St. Catherine's in Canada does as well. Let me ask an engineer.  It's stumping me. I'm just a lowly pipefitter!

Just curious.  did you ever hear back on which engine manufacturing facility was given the N designation?   thanks.

Sorry it took so long my contact was on vacation. Your engine was built in Spring Hill Tennessee.

Thanks Firehawk99 I just crawled under and took a picture of my Julian tag and it starts with N and I was going to ask the same question. May 12th 2021 for me and Vin build date is 6/21 so it looks like it's running about 3 weeks to a month difference from engine build to truck build. Thanks again for all your info.