Lifter issue: TSB PIP5776E - published June 18

3 hours ago, jayoco said:

One more question if I may...

Is that engine build date or vehicle build date?  is there much of a delay between the time you guys build them and the time they are installed at the plant in Arlington?  I appreciate the response. 

That is the engine build date. Sorry I should have clarified that. My engine was built on 3-18-21 2nd shift at Tonawanda. I bought my truck the day it was delivered to the dealership on 4-7-21. So that is 20 days from engine assembly at Tonawanda to delivery at the dealership. 3-4-21 is the engine build break point date.

11 hours ago, Firehawk99 said:

That is the engine build date. Sorry I should have clarified that. My engine was built on 3-18-21 2nd shift at Tonawanda. I bought my truck the day it was delivered to the dealership on 4-7-21. So that is 20 days from engine assembly at Tonawanda to delivery at the dealership. 3-4-21 is the engine build break point date.

So we can assume that the engine build date is +/- 3 weeks ahead of the truck build date? Correct?  Is there any way to identify the exact build date of the engine?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luster said:

So we can assume that the engine build date is +/- 3 weeks ahead of the truck build date? Correct?  Is there any way to identify the exact build date of the engine?  

20210806_103339.heicThat was the case for my truck, but I'm sure there will be exceptions. 

Yes. You need to find the Julian date sticker on the back driver side of the engine block. It's tough to see but you can do it. Here is a pic. of mine.20210806_103339.heic

20210806_103339.heic

Edited by Firehawk99

3 hours ago, Firehawk99 said:

20210806_103339.heicThat was the case for my truck, but I'm sure there will be exceptions. 

Yes. You need to find the Julian date sticker on the back driver side of the engine block. It's tough to see but you can do it. Here is a pic. of mine.20210806_103339.heic

20210806_103339.heicUnavailable

Perfect.  Thanks!

21 hours ago, Firehawk99 said:

The first 7 digits on mine were T221077. Which means T-Tonawanda, 2-2nd shift, 21-2021, 077- the 77th day of the calander year. Which was 3-18-21.

Is the Julian date sticker under the fuel rail cover? I couldn't get your picture to load.

My 2021 Yukon Denali recently had the engine light come on. It is currently at a local GMC service center awaiting parts. I was told that I have a lifter issue and that they will replaced all 16. It only has 3000+ miles on it. I am not confident about the reliability of my Denali. Especially with the engine getting opened up for a major repair. Thinking of getting it replaced. 

1 hour ago, George89 said:

My 2021 Yukon Denali recently had the engine light come on. It is currently at a local GMC service center awaiting parts. I was told that I have a lifter issue and that they will replaced all 16. It only has 3000+ miles on it. I am not confident about the reliability of my Denali. Especially with the engine getting opened up for a major repair. Thinking of getting it replaced. 

In all reality it's not a major repair. Things just have to come apart to reach the lifters.

In total they replace a few gaskets and bolts. Them being 2 head gaskets, head bolt kit, possibly the exhaust gaskets and not much else. Intake gaskets and valve cover gaskets are molded rubber and will be basically brand new but they may do those anyway.

If you want to replace something that is nearly new and take a loss, that is up to you but that just seems foolish. New vehicles have warranties for a reason, to cover possible problems and you just happen to have a problem that is covered 100%. You roll the dice with any new vehicle, if you trade it in and buy another guess what, you are taking another gamble.

I often carry a different mindset than others because I've been the mechanic. Things aren't always rainbows and butterflies. People are too soft, one little thing goes wrong and their world crumbles.

• Like 4

On 8/5/2021 at 3:14 PM, tanner benjamin said:

First post, my 2021 high country is at the dealership with the bad lifters. I have 8360 miles so they will only repair the bad side.  How upset should I be? Pretty sure with the way they are treating me this will be my last GM.  If they acknowledged bad lifters, why would they not just replace all of them?  I am waiting for a manager a customer service to call me back,  sucks when you can't trust your brand new ride.

Sounds like you have a 5.3

3 hours ago, CamGTP said:

In all reality it's not a major repair. Things just have to come apart to reach the lifters.

In total they replace a few gaskets and bolts. Them being 2 head gaskets, head bolt kit, possibly the exhaust gaskets and not much else. Intake gaskets and valve cover gaskets are molded rubber and will be basically brand new but they may do those anyway.

If you want to replace something that is nearly new and take a loss, that is up to you but that just seems foolish. New vehicles have warranties for a reason, to cover possible problems and you just happen to have a problem that is covered 100%. You roll the dice with any new vehicle, if you trade it in and buy another guess what, you are taking another gamble.

I often carry a different mindset than others because I've been the mechanic. Things aren't always rainbows and butterflies. People are too soft, one little thing goes wrong and their world crumbles.

Agreed.  Those who know how to turn a wrench understand stuff breaks and can be repaired.  People spend a bunch of money and demand perfection, but forget they spent a bunch of money because of inflation with a side of politics.  $60k yesterday got you a whole lot more than $60k does today. 

16 hours ago, Transient said:

Agreed.  Those who know how to turn a wrench understand stuff breaks and can be repaired.  People spend a bunch of money and demand perfection, but forget they spent a bunch of money because of inflation with a side of politics.  $60k yesterday got you a whole lot more than $60k does today. 

Couldn't agree with you more. My 87 Silverado 4x4 bought brand new was $13,000 same truck now upper 30s to 40. Some people think just because they paid 50 grand and up that vehicle should have received special treatment when all it means is they got more options on their vehicle. A $60,000 truck today will be around 80 in about 15 years and they will be saying that truck 15-20 years ago only cost 60 grand about 15 years ago.

Stuff broke back then and it will today. My father-in-laws 04 4.3 went through a set of head gaskets when it was about a year old, no big deal it was fixed and is still running with 160,000 miles.

Edited by Silverado4x4

These engines for several generations have had hit and miss lifter failures. This is nothing new. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Every make/model has a pattern failure of some type. TSBs can make people paranoid, they are tools for technicians to be more efficient.

On 8/6/2021 at 10:42 AM, Firehawk99 said:

20210806_103339.heicUnavailable

Can you repost the picture of the location?  I'm having a heck of time locating this.  Thank you.