Bilstein 5100 vs Stock

I have seen a lot of post comparing the 5100s to Ranchos but I really haven't seen anything vs the plain stock shock. Is it worth the cost to switch to the 5100s from the plain shock? My biggest complaint about these are they are a little bouncy on the interstate. Not overly but they aren't just smooth either. I would hate to change something and get worse of a ride. I can also take a curve in the trunk pretty well. Sometimes I think it handles curves better than my Camaro did lol. It does have a front spacer also. Looks like it may have only lifted it 1" though. A previous owner had put that in. The front and rear sit about 1.25" difference from each other. Thanks for the advice.

Anything aftermarket over stock will be an improvement, especially if you're getting up there in mileage. I have the Z71 package, so mine came with the Ranchos. From my understanding the package is just plastic skid plates and "upgraded" suspension, but not entirely sure what the difference is in struts/shocks between this package and the non Z71 package.

At just over 100k I went with the 5100's on the highest clip (1.85" of level) and noticed a huge difference in how the truck handles over both small and large cracks/potholes/railroad tracks/etc. Main advantage was no more of the rear end trying to pass the front and shifting sideways over larger blemishes in the road, especially train tracks. Well worth the upgrade for around $400 IMO. As John said above, truck feels more planted and stable over everything. 

Edited by boettcher40
  • Like 1

Guess I may have to go with them then. I have just under 52K on mine. I do not have the z71 package but there looks to be the plastic skid plate/belly pan, whatever you want to call it. If I put them at the highest setting, it still leaves a slight rank to if it memory serves from reading correct? I don't want the front higher than the rear that, IMHO, its not pleasant to look at lol.

I will provide some non-fan boy insight as these things are sold as a shock from god from many when they aren't. First of all, I can't help but laugh when people say their truck handles like (insert sedan or sports car here). Those cars could be on a 120 series tire and it would still handle better than a truck. Trucks aren't fast, nor do they handle well period. 

Second, 5100's are an improvement over larger undulations, but if you start raising it over stock height the ride is stiffer over smaller bumps and broken pavement. 5100's preload the spring to give lift which when that is done done it makes the spring stiffer so ride suffers. It helps flatten out larger bumps at highway speeds or side to side movements pulling in to the driveway though. Have realistic expectations, they are an improvement IMO, I didn't raise it all the way up, only notch 2 or 3 which ever gives me 1.25" of lift which was a little stiffer but completely comfortable. I had no complaints with the stock Rancho's, they took me all around the country and weeks off road without issue as well as towing and hauling, but a high end King set up the Bilstein's will not mimic. They are a good bang for the buck, and they did help free up some suspension movement from my 1.5" spacer I had in when hitting big bumps at highway speeds as it kept the suspension from bottoming out. Either way, these won't magically make you feel safer (not sure how people constantly say their truck feels like it wants to spin out over bumps, I have never felt that going sideways over train tracks or turning on rough roads but maybe some people need to slow their roll? 

Either way a worthy upgrade if you are due or want to change the handling. I replaced mine around 70k as they stock ranchos were getting tired and I was having some inside tire wear that appeared to by from bad shocks. If the truck is new I probably wouldn't change them but that is up to you. 

One more note after seeing your last post. If you level the truck it will look nose high, level isn't actually level visually with how big the front end of trucks are now. You see it often guys post up with perfectly level wheel well readings but from the side the nose looks high because front end and hood are higher than the bed. Plus, it is a truck, if you tow or haul anything you will want rake for better towing practices and so you aren't shining your lights in to oncoming traffic. Which, btw, after your level aim down your headlights for the sake of others on the road...

Tyler

Edited by Amcguy1970
  • Like 2

I hope the whole "handles like (insert sedan or sports car here)" was not aimed at me. Being that I have driven both I know how both handle. I am not saying my truck will out perform my old car but the car did not go around curves as nice and sometimes hopped as it did it. With that said, I am not looking to stiffen it up to the point it rattles apart going over bumps etc. If putting those on and raising up and getting rid of the spacer will cause that, Ill keep what I have.

38 minutes ago, Byrds8 said:

I hope the whole "handles like (insert sedan or sports car here)" was not aimed at me. Being that I have driven both I know how both handle. I am not saying my truck will out perform my old car but the car did not go around curves as nice and sometimes hopped as it did it. With that said, I am not looking to stiffen it up to the point it rattles apart going over bumps etc. If putting those on and raising up and getting rid of the spacer will cause that, Ill keep what I have.

Tyler is just being truly objective and his comments about the shocks are 'on the nose'. Best review I've seen in awhile. 

Truck suspensions are not a compromise. They are sprung and dampened to haul the maximum load and tow likewise. That's GM playing CYA.  Unloaded they are over sprung and over dampened. Harsh and IMHO almost dangerous on broken paving, pot holes, bridge approaches etc. 

I spent North of $5K in a total remake. King OEM all the way around. with 30% softer front springs and 15% softer custom made multi leaf de-arched rear leaves and a pair of Sulastic hangers and it could still be improved dampening wise. But it is stable and controllable over the rougher stuff now and my dental work stays put. But it is still not my Buick.  Bilstein's are a step in the right direction but not 'transformative'. That's something you say when you already spent the money and have to convince yourself (and forum crowds) it was worth every cent 😉 

Even really REALLY poor setups ride like silk on a smooth road. A 60's Caddy will bottom on a speed table. People have unrealistic expectations. There is no suspension that is perfect on both the Interstate and as a Rock Crawler. Dirt track track day truck and family toy hauler. Pick one and tune for it. 

Look up ACCUTUNE and have a chat with these guys. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have no plans to go off road so it just needs to be good for normal street issues..pot holes, seams, speed bumps etc. I do understand at the end of the day its a truck and going to ride/drive like one. However, my goal is to be better than what it is without breaking the bank. Of course, "better", is subjective to an individual to some degree. In the end, I just do not want it worse.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Byrds8 said:

I have no plans to go off road so it just needs to be good for normal street issues..pot holes, seams, speed bumps etc. I do understand at the end of the day its a truck and going to ride/drive like one. However, my goal is to be better than what it is without breaking the bank. Of course, "better", is subjective to an individual to some degree. In the end, I just do not want it worse.

Worse is also subjective, right? 

🤔

It will be different.

😉 

Seems most people find them an improvement but if ride is the value you are after the adjustment that puts the shock at mid travel (stroke) when on the ground will be the most balanced version of that dampening possible. 

• Like 1

So very true that both are subjective to a degree.

If memory serves, you cant use these with the spacers correct? If that's the case, why not? What happens when someone does? Seems like it wouldn't be different that any other strut if you didn't have it extended all the way. I will look up ACCUTUNE  as you suggested. Thanks as always for the expert advise :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Amcguy1970 said:

One more note after seeing your last post. If you level the truck it will look nose high, level isn't actually level visually with how big the front end of trucks are now. You see it often guys post up with perfectly level wheel well readings but from the side the nose looks high because front end and hood are higher than the bed. Plus, it is a truck, if you tow or haul anything you will want rake for better towing practices and so you aren't shining your lights in to oncoming traffic. Which, btw, after your level aim down your headlights for the sake of others on the road...

Didn't know that having everything "level" really wasn't. I think Id rather have the fender wells not level than have a squat.

Edited by Byrds8
  • Like 1

I just had my 5100s installed at the first notch (about 1" shock lift) on a 3" level and rear spring lift (for towing and hauling) along with a 1" block lift and I'm happy with the resulting ride quality.
It does seem to be an improvement over stock but I wouldn't say it's a marked improvement, just an incremental one.
A level, IMO, should always include a rear lift of some type in order to avoid the squat.

• Like 2

Nice. I thought about doing like a Rough Country lift but I heard it makes the ride crappy. And a lot seem to not like their stuff. Not to mention, I have no intention at this time to have larger tires. You need to post some pics.

Edited by Byrds8

21 hours ago, Byrds8 said:

Didn't know that having everything "level" really wasn't. I think Id rather have the fender wells not level than have a squat.

This is a 2/4.5 drop and if I put an angle gauge on the bed rail it says under 1 degree nose down on level ground. Visually I still see rake and by measurement of hub center to arch height there is a hint of rake; quarter inch. 

To me the hood line and bed rail looks to be the same height and the belt line is smooth. So I'm going to have to disagree that level isn't level 'visually'. 

IMG_2078.thumb.jpg.23ad5125ed8007c978e2a43f4878219a.jpg

Before the drop.

IMG_1031.thumb.JPG.6a333b67a38bcbf2463f932b48d1930a.JPG

• Like 1