5.3 vs 3.0 diesel

11 minutes ago, mjonesjr84 said:

I wouldn't say $15K since the Equinox is a Premier, but you can easily say $10K. You can or can't see the difference in mileage, but since I am the one who fills both vehicles up (wife hates to get gas), I know what both get for mpg. 

Believe what you want on the 2-vehicle comparison (RST 3.0 vs Equinox 2.0T) of vehicles I own, but even the EPA's site shows the Equinox cost more to drive. You can see the personalized info as for driving I used on the bottom. I also used fuel cost in my hometown (regular - $3.09, Premium - $3.69, Diesel - $3.08). I'm getting more than TWICE the amount of miles per tank than the Equinox gets. I average right at 700 miles per tank in my 3.0. I don't wait that long to fill up though. Per the EPA info below, you will have to stop in 200 miles earlier in the 5.3 than the 3.0 and the cost to fill the tank will be the same.

After you look at the cost to buy each, the cost to drive each, and the resale/trade-in value. I'd still go with my 3.0 over either of the three. The 3.0 is only a $1k option over the 5.3 in the 2021 model year in a RST; in the LTZ it is only a $750 option.

1.png

I’ll say this. I was intrigued by the SUV must be a blast to drive. Probably why you all get under the EPA fuel mileage. I've owned all kinds of diesels for different reasons. Even modified a few. All before the latest EPA requirements. With the offerings these days I’ll never own another. Especially for fuel mileage.

Edited by KARNUT

2 hours ago, econometrics said:

I love my 5.3L in my 2019 RST... especially with the GM Performance Exhaust and Cold Air Intake. But my next truck will have a 3.0L diesel in it. You just cannot beat that MPG. And gas prices are going nowhere but UP in the days ahead. 

And so is Diesel prices, diesel here is 40 cents more per gallon over 87 and I don't know where this guy is from but he needs to check it. The extra cost per fill up is about a wash when it comes to better mpg in the diesel then the 5.3.

I have been through the Diesel motor days with my Duramax 6.6 LLY pulling boats but I will never go back to a Diesel motor these days with the extra fuel cost, maintenance, and mostly all the emissions that are on these motors now.

Edited by Silverado4x4

4 hours ago, Madeindetroit92 said:

22 MPG average and 100K powertrain warranty I'm sold on that. yea I was considering the 5.3 not anymore ! 

thank you for the response 

Yes the 3.0 and the 6.6 duramax engines both get a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty but it's still only for 5 years. So if you plan on putting 100k miles on it in 5 years it may be worth it.

1 hour ago, Silverado4x4 said:

And so is Diesel prices, diesel here is 40 cents more per gallon over 87 and I don't know where this guy is from but he needs to check it. The extra cost per fill up is about a wash when it comes to better mpg in the diesel then the 5.3.

I have been through the Diesel motor days with my Duramax 6.6 LLY pulling boats but I will never go back to a Diesel motor these days with the extra fuel cost, maintenance, and mostly all the emissions that are on these motors now.

Of course diesel will also go up. But when you're averaging 8-10mpg better in the 3.0L, your cost does not go up as quickly owning the diesel. 

I had 2 prior trucks with the 6.2L  ...  it wanted premium fuel and drank it like a sailor.  Couldn't take it anymore.

My 6.2 never saw better than 19mpg with 17 average using premium in real driving.

My 3.0 has done 30mpg with 26mpg the real 75mph mileage.  So average about  30% more per tank.  Here diesel price is about the same as midgrade fuel.

The only pain is DEF which is pennies added and a fuel filter at about 18,000 miles for $12.00  Still blows away the gas engine.

Emissions problems? Who cares? it's under warranty.  I've been back one time for an updated ECU program related to emissions.  I wont mention leaking rear window though.

16 minutes ago, steve841 said:

I had 2 prior trucks with the 6.2L  ...  it wanted premium fuel and drank it like a sailor.  Couldn't take it anymore.

My 6.2 never saw better than 19mpg with 17 average using premium in real driving.

My 3.0 has done 30mpg with 26mpg the real 75mph mileage.  So average about  30% more per tank.  Here diesel price is about the same as midgrade fuel.

The only pain is DEF which is pennies added and a fuel filter at about 18,000 miles for $12.00  Still blows away the gas engine.

Emissions problems? Who cares? it's under warranty.  I've been back one time for an updated ECU program related to emissions.  I wont mention leaking rear window though.

And DEF is easy when you have access to a truck stop to fill it up while your filling diesel.

Out of curiosity, why did you change your fuel filter at 18,000 miles? I changed mine at 22k because it was down to 30% on the life monitor.

The leaking rear window is hit or miss on all of these trucks, not just the diesel. Knock on wood, but I'm lucky to not have had a leaking rear window nor the crank no start issue.

Sounds like the OP's mind is made up, but just adding a data point for those interested in this in the future. My 2020 5.3L averages around 20MPG on the highways and 17 in the city. This is with auto start/stop manually disabled (every frickin time I start my truck) and a CAI cold air intake. Everything else stock. I have a slight lead foot. I'll be pulling a 22' center console boat (roughly 4K lbs) soon and I'll report in the gas mileage towing that to the beach and back (2-2.5 hours).

edit: the 20MPG is what I see normally (day to day doing about 45 miles and mix of city/highway). My best 400 mile MPG was 21.9 which was done on a trip from Orlando, FL to Durham, NC.

Also, I'd never consider diesel due to additional cost from DEF and the fuel itself. Maintenance, other than oil changes, I have done via the dealer or a local shop I know who has serviced other vehicles of mine. Diesel has always a more expensive option for shops to do maintenance on.

In the end, gas 5.3 was the best option for me and pairing that with the 10spd auto makes it a no-brainer in my book for those who don't want to deal with the hassle of diesel or premium in a 6.2.

Edited by BossTaco2020
  • Like 2

I admit I'm a diesel fan. (many years running 6.6's)

If you are ordering an AT4 (and although I haven't been looking, it sounds like there aren't any on the lots) you'll have to choose between the now standard 3.0 or the slightly more expensive 6.2.

The 5.3 is no longer an available on the '22 Limited AT4. (and the 2.7 isn't available on an AT4 either)

The AFM 5.3/6 speed has been discontinued, and the DFM 5.3 with 8 speed is being used on the trims that previously used the AFM technology.  Presumably making the 5.3 unavailable on AT4 helps balance production volumes.

Maybe all this changes again when the mid-cycle enhance '22 arrives.

'Here', diesel is running about 10% less than regular 87 octane.

Premium for the 6.2 is about 25% more than diesel!

C$/L -- but the ratio will be the same

Diesel - 1.22

Regular 1.36

Premium 1.52

Mine is mostly daily driver with a little towing. 

Speed matters. Starts and stops matter.

Most driving has been 55 - 60 mph 2 lane,

First 8700 miles have averaged 26.5 usmpg. 

I ran a 4wd DC '15 6.2/8speed and a 4wd Crew std box '16 5.3/8speed.  Both got about 19 - 20 usmpg doing the same task.  

Towing at freeway speed 3.0 it only gets low-mid teens, but tow miles are included in the average. 

The 5.3 / 8 speed towing the same enclosed utility trailer on the interstate from Port Huron to Phoenix and return averaged about 9.5.

DEF cost hasn't been a factor, especially compared to the rest of the costs of owning/operating a pickup.

Topped it up at about 700 miles, and 8000 miles later squeezed in 5.5 US gal (yes, a little over rated capacity)

1438 usmpg.  Cost was C$18.78 or about US$15

GMC Sierra /Denali 1500 Limited

Deletions

(C67) Air conditioning, single zone
     (LV3) 4.3L EcoTec3 V6 engine
     (L82) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine
     (MYC) 6-speed automatic transmission
     (FHS) E85 FlexFuel capable
     (U2L) HD Radio
     (N06) Steering column, lock control, electrical

Changes

Renamed 1SA trim to Pro
     (R3O) LT275/65R18C MT blackwall Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac tires are standard on AT4
     (L3B) 2.7L Turbo engine is now standard on 1SA
     (L84) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine is available on 1SA
     (L84) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine is not available on AT4
     (LM2) Duramax 3.0L Turbo-Diesel I6 engine is standard on AT4
     Battery, heavy-duty 730 cold-cranking amps/80 Amp-hr is now standard on 1SA
     (C4P) Air conditioning, Semi-Automatic standard on 1SA
     Changed (PEC) Denali Ultimate Package name to Denali Reserve Package
     (KA6) rear heated seats have moved to an available option on SLT, AT4 and Denali

Chevrolet Truck Silverado 1500 LTD

Deletions

(LV3) 4.3L EcoTec3 V6 engine
     (L82) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine
     (FHS) E85 FlexFuel
     (MYC) 6-speed automatic transmission
     (BD1) Custom Max Trailering Package
     CK18753 Double Cab model on Custom Trail Boss (2CX)
     (C67) Air conditioning
     (5VI) LPO, Cargo tie-down rings
     (VBR) LPO, Rubber bed mat
     (SIE) LPO, Tiered storage
     (N06) Steering column lock
     (U2L) HD Radio

Changes

(L3B) 2.7L Turbo engine is now standard on Work Truck (1WT), Custom (1CX) and Custom Trail Boss (2CX)
     (L84) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine is now standard on RST Crew Cab (1SP)
     (L84) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine is now available on Work Truck (1WT)
     (LM2) Duramax 3.0L Turbo-Diesel I6 engine is now available on LT Trail Boss (2LT)

The 5.3 V8 was discounted by $10,000 so it was a no-brainer for me. Now the dealers are no longer discounting them, it's making my decision a bit harder. I get around 25 mpg on my 5.3 V8 (best I've gotten was 28 but that was going 50-55 mph all the way on a flat surface).

If I can get a Duramax for less than $2,000 more, I'd consider it, because that's how much I'd save in gas mileage after 60,000 miles. Right now, I get $6,000 off for gasoline and nothing off for diesel so I'll stick with gasoline for now.

16 hours ago, mjonesjr84 said:

And DEF is easy when you have access to a truck stop to fill it up while your filling diesel.

Out of curiosity, why did you change your fuel filter at 18,000 miles? I changed mine at 22k because it was down to 30% on the life monitor.

The leaking rear window is hit or miss on all of these trucks, not just the diesel. Knock on wood, but I'm lucky to not have had a leaking rear window nor the crank no start issue.

I was down to around 10% and oil change was due ... Just did it all at the same time.

FWIW, my trucks life is 95% towing.  I'd imaging that has a lot to do with it.

To add a real life experience.  I do a regular weekend trip towing an enclosed trailer roughly 240 round trip.

On my prior 6.2, I'd have to fill up with about 50 miles remaining on the last leg.

With the 3.0, I make it there and back and have, on average, 1/4 of a tank left.

Again, that's real world comparison.  And in my opinion, enough to settle any debate for me.

Edited by steve841

On 7/27/2021 at 2:42 PM, steve841 said:

WHAT??!!  Everyone else with a 6.2 seems to be getting 50 mpg and doing sub 10 second quarter mile sprints all while pulling a 45,000 lb trailer. LOL.  Finally some honesty!  Thanx Steve!

• Haha 1