cant get a straight story on the difference between a PF 63 oil filter vs PF 63 e oil filter. one part tech said it was fleet pack another said their was no difference. my engine code is (D) 5.3 L84 gen 5 var 2. when I changed oil this time I had a hard time finding a PF 63 filter, but no one has a great reason why. 

PF63 is not a filter that is really made anymore.  The "E" model is the one they make now and have been for some time.  They dropped the "E" designation but its still the E core filter.  

If you want a non E core ACDelco filter, get a UPF63R.  

There were issues with the filter not sealing properly and so they corrected the seal and recoded the filter.  You cant find the old one anymore because they don't offer it any more.  The AC delco's are generally a bottom of the barrel filter, don't feel bad about upgrading to Wix, Purolator, upper end Frams, etc.

Best filtration:

Purolator PL 22500

FRAM XG10575

Royal Purple 20-500

AC Delco UPF63R

AMSOIL EaO17

Average filtration: 

WIX WL 10255

NAPA 100255

ACDelco PF63

All of these have the required 22 psig bypass relief spring. 

Somebody PIN THIS PLEASE

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, bjr2020 6.2 said:

Grumpy bear just out of curiosity where are you getting any info from to make this order of filters up? Thanks 

ISO 4548-12 published results found in hours of digging. Some were easy, it's on the box. Some hide, like K & N . Purolator I just asked via email and they gave me not only the 20 micron number but the entire table. And yes they publish the ISO 20 micron on their site and box. They are proud of their work. WIX for example publishes theirs in the on line cross reference lookup guide for two points. Royal Purple published 3 points of the curve. The 10, 20 & 25.

I don't list filters who hide, mislead or obscure. 

Some give the percentage at 20 micron. Some give the Beta Ratio. Some even list in PPM retained but if you know how the Beta Ratio works, if you have one, you can figure them all. There's a good explanation in this thread in the filtration posts. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear

11 hours ago, bjr2020 6.2 said:

Grumpy bear just out of curiosity where are you getting any info from to make this order of filters up? Thanks 

I come from a time when no one hid information. 

I still dig better than they hide.

Think you're Smart.jpg

• Like 1

UPF63R is the 'Ultraguard Gold' high performance filter.  It's as good as any of the aftermarket high performance filters.  PF63F just means it comes in a 'Fleet Pack' box of 12, you are still getting a PF63 filter.

The E-core filters were recently redesigned and no longer have the 'E' suffix.  The seal is better and the got rid of the fiber end caps and went back to metal.  I figure now they are step up from the standard Fram and other bargain oil filters. 

This test tested each brands ULTRA series. (Note the lab used) 

https://ls1tech.com/forums/advanced-engineering-tech/1949946-iso-4548-12-oil-filter-efficiency-data.html

The Purolator Pure One PL22500 NOT tested in this series tests identical to the FRAM ULTRA GUARD XG10575. This is NOT the BOSS tested in this link. I stopped using BOSS filters quite some time ago. 

Purolator Pure One PL22500 raw data:

>5 micron = B2 50%

5 micron = B4.8 79.2%

8 micron = B20 95.0%

10 micron = B50 98.0%

11.4 micron = B100 99.0%

13 micron = B200 99.5%

15 micron = B1000 99.9%

20 micron = B1000 99.9%

The link cut off at 15 micron Pure One identical to the FRAM XG. 

Top three continue to be

Purolator Pure One PL22500 (top two tied for filtration) 

FRAM XG10575 (top two tied for filtration) 

Royal Purple 20-500

And I believe the

AC Delco Ultra  UPF63R (12693541) should be added to the BEST list. 

And pretty much in that order. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1