Why Does GM Produce Vehicles that Rust So Easily

This is my 2nd time around with 2500HD's and damn the undercarriage protection is just ******........pure ******.  I give up on GM products.  I have oiled the undercarriage and taken such steps as painting the undercarriage when it was new and capping off the holes in the frame.  Same old rusty result.  I'd like to drive this thing up Mary Barra's ass........

• Haha 1

Because it's a wax coating and not a E-coating.

For the majority of trucks it's all surface rust that does no harm. I can't tell you how many mid 90's and early to mid 2000's trucks I still see on the road here in Minnesota. My state uses some pretty harsh stuff on the roads and those trucks are still running. The ones that rust out are because the owners never wash them or take care of them in the winter months.

4 hours ago, ickyoldman said:

This is my 2nd time around with 2500HD's and damn the undercarriage protection is just ******........pure ******.  I give up on GM products.  I have oiled the undercarriage and taken such steps as painting the undercarriage when it was new and capping off the holes in the frame.  Same old rusty result.  I'd like to drive this thing up Mary Barra's ass........

I call BS, and reject your premise as false.  Easy compared to what?  Ever own a 1960s Chrysler?

Sealing in rust before removing it...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Ever own a 1960s Chrysler?

Mid 60's Ford passenger car frame boxes rusting through at the firewall?

Every part of a Datsun pickup

😜

Although I think in Datsun's case it was just a lack of experience with North American ice abatement methods and chemicals. Ford had no such excused nor did Chrysler. 

But I don't think this complaint of the OP is about that TYPE of rust. He's drinking the Kool-Aid that metals should never oxidize. Confusing 'surface" rust with 'rusting through'. You and I both know that nature WILL reclaim itself. We can inhibit but we can not stop. That is, if we are still going to use it. We could dip it in Cosmoline gel and store it in a temperature and humidity controlled garage I suppose 😉 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ickyoldman said:

Manufactures have literally GROOMED the public into believing we should give them tens of thousands of dollars every three to five years. Society has GROOMED us to believe that we are MORE if we have MORE. That we are successful only when others tell us we are. 

They design and manufacture to enhance/further that school of thought. ALL of them...not just GM. The commercial world is predatory. 

Give in, sell your truck and repeat this with anyone you choose. OR use the energy that caused you to write this post to improve, care for and maintain what you already have. 

No one here can make that choice for you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Depends on the area you live. I have several vehicles that sat outside for 10 plus years rust free. I have enough shade even the paint holds up. I remember in the seventies GM cars showing rust in the showroom. My 74 nova was garage kept only driven on good weather days. Paint thinning and rust in a couple years. My wife’s 2011 Genesis still looks new out all day every day only garage at night. My 92 Chevy truck only just started paint fading on the hood last year. Outside during my ownership the last 12 years.   If I had to drive on winter treated roads I would expect less service. My car washes here spray underneath so that problem would be medicated some.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

GROOMED

CONDITIONED was the term used when I was selling cars/trucks.

Start with lowballing the trade with "facts", then convince them that they need the &1200.00 a month payment because it provides reliability, status in the neighborhood, it has all of the modern amenities you can't live/afford to be without, and anything else that popped into your head when you smelled a paycheck.

It was easy when people took "mental ownership" of the rig on the test drive, ever wonder why all of the other sales force compliments how good you look in the truck, or how great it look's and is to drive, and how capable it is???

People are vain, most times we were just there to get them to sign paperwork. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Buy a Tundra or a Tacoma if you want to see real rust on the frame.  I remember when Toyota was replacing the full frames on the Tacoma due to the "manufacturing defect" and a year later the new frames all looked like the needed replaced yet again.  Course the new ones really aren't any better either.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, swathdiver said:

I call BS, and reject your premise as false.  Easy compared to what?  Ever own a 1960s Chrysler?

Sealing in rust before removing it...

You can reject all you want.......You are not relevant to this conversation   55 years of automotive experience tells me everything I need to know. These things are rust pigs

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, It's Tim said:

So many concerned with "rusty frames" yet almost no one concerned about obesity & cholesterol. 

spacer.png

Edit:

She probably has a diet soda.  😉

I use to work with a gal like this. Eat an entire Marie Callender's DOUBLE CREAM BLUEBERRY then claim a diet as she washed it down with 6 diet Cokes. Oh that was after she had her dinner....

11 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Manufactures have literally GROOMED the public into believing we should give them tens of thousands of dollars every three to five years. Society has GROOMED us to believe that we are MORE if we have MORE. That we are successful only when others tell us we are. 

They design and manufacture to enhance/further that school of thought. ALL of them...not just GM. The commercial world is predatory. 

Give in, sell your truck and repeat this with anyone you choose. OR use the energy that caused you to write this post to improve, care for and maintain what you already have. 

No one here can make that choice for you. 

If I was an American and you were running for president, You'd have my vote  :thumbs:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, It's Tim said:

So many concerned with "rusty frames" yet almost no one concerned about obesity & cholesterol. 

spacer.png

Edit:

She probably has a diet soda.  😉

25 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I use to work with a gal like this. Eat an entire Marie Callender's DOUBLE CREAM BLUEBERRY then claim a diet as she washed it down with 6 diet Cokes. Oh that was after she had her dinner....

Damn it, I like Diet Coke!!!!

• Haha 1