Remanufactured transmission

I have a 2017 GMC Sierra 5.3 with the 6L80E. Needless to say my transmission is shot on it already. Unfortunately I am out of warranty so all cost will be coming out of pocket. I’ve shopped around locally and all shops range from $3,000-$7,200 to rebuild mine.(Tucson,Arizona) so I started looking for some remanufactured transmissions online. I would like some opinions and some sites you have used before. Street smart transmissions/ Best Buy Transmissions/ GM factory remanufactured. 

1 minute ago, M1ck3y said:

Did you buy the truck new? Go to the dealership and ask them to see if GM can give you a discount on the price for being a loyal customer.

I had not thought about that. I was planning on going tomorrow as today is Labor Day and everything was closed but I will for sure try tomorrow thanks.  

I have a 2017 Silverado with 142k and am shopping for transmissions. Mine is still drives, but exhibits the rumble strip vibrations randomly and the general clunky shifting has gotten worse.  I got a quote from a local (Rochester, NY) Chevy dealer today. They quoted $4875.00+tax for a GM replacement transmission. It comes with a 36 month, 100k warranty. Two day turnaround.

Not really to bad, but these things should go more than 140k before falling apart.

Two buddies with 2016 Silverado's both had transmissions go right around 125k. They used a local garage and found rebuilt transmissions on-line. They spent almost 4k.

Has anyone got over 150k on one of these 6-speeds?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, flattop said:

I have a 2017 Silverado with 142k and am shopping for transmissions. Mine is still drives, but exhibits the rumble strip vibrations randomly and the general clunky shifting has gotten worse.  I got a quote from a local (Rochester, NY) Chevy dealer today. They quoted $4875.00+tax for a GM replacement transmission. It comes with a 36 month, 100k warranty. Two day turnaround.

Not really to bad, but these things should go more than 140k before falling apart.

Two buddies with 2016 Silverado's both had transmissions go right around 125k. They used a local garage and found rebuilt transmissions on-line. They spent almost 4k.

You've done the trans flush with the new fluid right?

I was @ 122,000 and my 2015 6L80 trans went out and the dealer I bought it from, used, got Gm to pay $2000 on the replacement.  Same warrenty as above. It now has another 92,000 and it’s been fine. I did get it reprogrammed shortly after replacement. 

I would def go ask the dealer. 

8 hours ago, flattop said:

Just saw one on Precision Transmission's youtube video with 154K and the fluid was brown.

The reason these things don't last in your K2s is because of the transmission thermostat.  "Flip the Pill" and they will last 2 to 3 times as long like the older 900s.  We've seen them go 300-400K miles.  Change the fluid every 40K miles  or so.

Dealer warranty is the best. Others are 1 year 12 k I think.

I went Dealer for my 93. Installed myself. No affect on the warranty back then. 

Ask questions how they rebuild the trans. Most just do clutches, seals. I was told GM remans get all parts that don't meet spec replaced. 

On 9/9/2021 at 5:31 AM, swathdiver said:

Just saw one on Precision Transmission's youtube video with 154K and the fluid was brown.

The reason these things don't last in your K2s is because of the transmission thermostat.  "Flip the Pill" and they will last 2 to 3 times as long like the older 900s.  We've seen them go 300-400K miles.  Change the fluid every 40K miles  or so.

Maybe dumb question here. What do you mean by flip the pill?

• Like 1

On 9/8/2021 at 8:13 PM, flattop said:

I'm right at 150K and works like a dream. Cadillac Luke is close to 200K on his. So yes....

4 hours ago, Waylon78 said:

Maybe dumb question here. What do you mean by flip the pill?

Trans has a thermostat. It has a pill under the plug. Flipping over bypasses the thermostat so it is on the trans cooler all the time just like every transmission built before 2014. Here's another option many like that does the same thing but with a pressure relief. The pill flip it free however. Well it cost you some time. 😉 You tubes on the flip posted dozens of times on this site. 

• Like 2

On 9/8/2021 at 9:13 PM, flattop said:

I got 167K on mine.  Bought it with used 101k miles on it bone stock 6.2 L86.  Heads, cam and full bolt-ons done by 125K.  Big tires and burnout and she is still doing good.  Doesn't mean it won't let go tomorrow.  But for now I sleep good at night.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JONBLARC7 said:

I got 167K on mine.  Bought it with used 101k miles on it bone stock 6.2 L86.  Heads, cam and full bolt-ons done by 125K.  Big tires and burnout and she is still doing good.  Doesn't mean it won't let go tomorrow.  But for now I sleep good at night.

That's the kind of mileage we should all expect from one of these transmissions!