6.2 Fan Club

On 9/14/2021 at 9:27 PM, OnTheReel said:

Still would need AWD for sure. 600+ HP in a 2WD truck that weighs nothing in the back would be completely worthless. Even the normal 6.2 is basically worthless if you just leave it in 2WD.

The big appeal to these trucks is the traction. On the street you can take down some fairly quick cars. At least up to 60. After that you can’t really fight physics. Or that speeding ticket.

This is why I put mine in Auto 4x4 when pulling out in traffic making a right hand turn.  If i don't then I just light up the rear tires.

Edited by Black02Silverado
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, It's Tim said:

I always feel sorry for peeps that get stuck with that 2.7 and post here looking for any type of upgrade. The threads always start the same: "It's not that bad", um... ya it is.

I’m cautiously impressed with blown little engines. One of GMs finest moments was the blown 4.3. I owed T- type briefly. Had a friend who had a shop full. It’s a shame I couldn’t get over the sound. I was still in had to be a V-8 stage. My wife’s intagra type r and V-6 Genesis converted me toward alternative power, other than V8s. Diesels excluded. Some of the fast and furious types who now drive pickups. Will probably make them V-8 killers. Unfortunately they probably have cylinder deactivation. Otherwise I could see myself in a tuner 2 door version. 

Edited by KARNUT

2 hours ago, It's Tim said:

I always feel sorry for peeps that get stuck with that 2.7 and post here looking for any type of upgrade. The threads always start the same: "It's not that bad", um... ya it is.

I see the same amount of threads/posts about modding 6.2/5.3 as I do 2.7 

Its not a hot Rod and its not some crazy high HP/high TQ engine. Its the base model engine that happens to have good torque throughout the powerband and gets pretty damn good mileage. All while being able to haul/tow respectable amount of weight.  ( if you have smaller loads) 

Its funny how some people on here are almost threatened by the 2.7 . ( Grumpy Bear ) being he biggest hater but then again he just loves his 4.3 haha 

End of day i will drive that GM 6.2 all day and will continue to by my GM trucks with the 6.2 or a V8 but that's just me ,however lets take a moment here to give GM its props. They axed the dinosaur 4.3 and are giving us a motor that gets more power, more torque and better mileage. 

Edited by f8l vnm

On 9/14/2021 at 12:09 PM, Amcguy1970 said:

Best or favorite/nicest? Not sure how someone can say best ever a year in without waiting to see if it has any problems or things pop up they don't like; unless this is your first vehicle ever I guess or you only keep a vehicle for a year? We usually wait until we get rid of a vehicle to determine how good it was. Best for us was a 91' Astro van, though not the nicest it was the most reliable and lasted the longest with no problems outside of an alternator over nearly 250k; all the while spending much of the time towing a boat at its weight limit with a family of 4 in it around the great lakes.

Because no one can tell the 10hp difference and the less than 1mpg difference between regular and premium doesn't cover the cost upgrade... It isn't like you get a 50hp bump or anything, it is minimal and the cost savings favors regular. Now towing or hauling or running hard we use premium, otherwise it is 87 most of the time. If it was required that would be a different story. 

Tyler

No it's not my first vehicle. I've had many other vehicles over the years some of which I put over 150,000 miles on. I also am from Michigan and tow boats and trailers. I was just stating that this is the best truck I've owned since none of the previous came with the kind of power of the 6.2L smoothness of the 10 spd transmission and technology this current truck has.

You folks running 87 are going to eventually break your rings and or pistons, maybe not you if you trade it in after a couple of years, but the next poor sap will suffer for your sins.

You cannot always hear knocking and pinging, you have to use a scan tool to see it.

These latest DFM engines do not detect fuel quality and then run on a different set of tables AFAIK.  The previous generations did not.

For those of you willing to take the challenge, get an OBDII adapter that works with your truck and phone, get an app that works with both and then watch it while you drive on a tank of swill and a tank of 93.  

Racetrac 93, not top tier, 0% alcohol content.  6.5" Lift on 35s. Stock tune.

Love the 6.2, it is so much more powerful than our 5.3 and they are very fuel efficient for what they are.  Ours came with 3.73 gears, it gets up goes and is rated to tow over 5 tons.  Reminds me of the Grand Nationals I used to have.  Fun stuff!

Even my 5.3 benefits from running 93, the engine runs cooler, smoother and gets better gas mileage.

Edited by swathdiver
additional information
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, swathdiver said:

You folks running 87 are going to eventually break your rings and or pistons, maybe not you if you trade it in after a couple of years, but the next poor sap will suffer for your sins.

You cannot always hear knocking and pinging, you have to use a scan tool to see it.

These latest DFM engines do not detect fuel quality and then run on a different set of tables AFAIK.  The previous generations did not.

For those of you willing to take the challenge, get an OBDII adapter that works with your truck and phone, get an app that works with both and then watch it while you drive on a tank of swill and a tank of 93.  

Racetrac 93, not top tier, 0% alcohol content.  6.5" Lift on 35s. Stock tune.

Love the 6.2, it is so much more powerful than our 5.3 and they are very fuel efficient for what they are.  Ours came with 3.73 gears, it gets up goes and is rated to tow over 5 tons.  Reminds me of the Grand Nationals I used to have.  Fun stuff!

Even my 5.3 benefits from running 93, the engine runs cooler, smoother and gets better gas mileage.

Finally someone understands why you should run 91/93 premium fuel in the 6.2L👍👍

When you say 3.73 gears. We’re you stating you have them in your 6.2L or 5.3L. Because I thought all you could get with the max trailer package was 3.42 rear end on the 6.2L 

Edited by TNTSilverado
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TNTSilverado said:

Finally someone understands why you should run 91/93 premium fuel in the 6.2L👍👍

When you say 3.73 gears. We’re you stating you have them in your 6.2L or 5.3L. Because I thought all you could get with the max trailer package was 3.42 rear end on the 6.2L 

Our 6.2 came with them, it is a 2012 Sierra Crew Cab with the NHT package.

179235801.jpg

Edited by swathdiver

My 2021 is my 3rd 6.2, still only 2500 miles runs a bit better since I GM Accessories Borla Cat Back on.

My 2018 Max Tow was used as a workhorse for my retirement move from Michigan to Tennessee, really towed outstanding with many heavy loads.  Free Truck, sold it for more than I paid for it.

My 2012 actually ran the best, great throttle response an great stock muffler sound.

Pics in post below.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Our 6.2 came with them, it is a 2012 Sierra Crew Cab with the NHT package.

179235801.jpg

Ah yes the older trucks!!  Gotcha, yes they did and they performed very well.  Sharp looking truck. Thanks! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CXXX said:

My 2021 is my 3rd 6.2, still only 2500 miles runs a bit better since I GM Accessories Borla Cat Back on.

My 2018 Max Tow was used as a workhorse for my retirement move from Michigan to Tennessee, really towed outstanding with many heavy loads.  Free Truck, sold it for more than I paid for it.

My 2012 actually ran the best, great throttle response an great stock muffler sound.

Pics in post below.

That 2012 is a rare bird, we've only found 80 SLT All-Terrains so far!  

• Like 1

I think that they (GM and Ford) say you can run regular ‘cause most rednecks wouldn’t buy a truck knowing they HAD to run premium.

Most folks consider me a redneck, so please don’t take that offensively! 😉

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on my second 6.2L 10speed combo, the first was a 2018 RWD Yukon Denali. That little thing was fast and a lot of fun to drive, it pulled my 21' bass boat and just chuckled the whole time. Moved to the panhandle from Central Florida and the fishing is a little different so I sold the bass boat for a 24' bay boat. The Yukon pulled the larger boat fine but as far as towing it the bay boat just kinda overwhelmed the short wheel base of that vehicle.

Decided to get a truck for towing the bigger boat and because I needed the versatility of a truck versus the SUV. Figued I could get a 2020 4WD 5.3 with the 10 speed and all would be good because the 5.3s I've owned previously were basically bullet proof plus the 10 speed is so smooth and always seems to find the right gear. To put it simply I was wrong, the 5.3 did an adequate job but I did end up replacing it with a 2021 4WD 6.2 because I so missed the extra power. No question the 6.2 does a night and day difference in the way it pulls a load like this. I got a shade better fuel economy in town with the 5.3 but the 6.2 gets much better economy towing and is a lot more fun to drive.

Edited by JJ461

On 9/14/2021 at 8:27 PM, OnTheReel said:

Still would need AWD for sure. 600+ HP in a 2WD truck that weighs nothing in the back would be completely worthless. Even the normal 6.2 is basically worthless if you just leave it in 2WD.

Nail on the head here. My truck (e85 tuned L86) is worthless from a dig in 2WD. Not to mention that it would axle wrap and hop like a buckin' bronco. The exact reason I put traction bars on my truck :) maybe one day GM will employ a 5 link or even IRS. By then I'll probably be driving an electric truck though. 

On 9/15/2021 at 8:29 AM, Black02Silverado said:

This is why I put mine in Auto 4x4 when pulling out in traffic making a right hand turn.  If i don't then I just light up the rear tires.

Hmmmm. Not to tell anyone how to drive or anything...... The idea of needing to switch into 4x4 because otherwise you would loose traction to the rear end in your heavy throttle take off seems absurd. I've owned my 6.2 for almost a year. Have never had to even consider loss of traction when pulling out into traffic. Maybe wait and let that car pass then pull out when you have more time. Because of your set up you may have time to avoid a collision, but does the driver of the car you pulled out in front of know that? Consider the effect your action has on that driver.

Flame on...

• Like 3