2021 5.3 GMC Sierra lifter failure

I just picked up my Sierra with 7100 miles from GMC service that was in for lifter, push rod replacement. I'm shocked they released the truck to me without replacing the engine oil.

Does this seem right to you? The service department also did not replace the fuel pipes below the intake manifold. I read somewhere the pipes are one-time use and must be replaced.

Does anyone know if and where GM specified replacing the fuel pipes?

I lived in Warren MI. Graduated from Lincoln High School. 

Nothing surprises me any more. The question is how many miles were are the oil? Was the oil dirty due to the mileage?

While I agree they could have changed the oil, if it isn't in the TSB for the work performed they won't do it because GM wouldn't pay them for it. 

They didn't change the oil on ours during the lifter repair earlier this year, but they did replace the fuel pipe. Admittedly they had changed the oil 400 miles prior during the first repair attempt, though, but that was because they pulled the cylinder head the first time and they had to change it in order to avoid coolant contaminating the oil. All of this happened between 585 and 1700 miles, though, so it was pretty fresh to begin with.

Anecdotally, the lifter issue hasn't returned yet (operative word "yet"...) at roughly 11,500 miles, but I drive the truck in L7 to disable DFM and change the oil every 3,700-4,000 miles. Basically, I don't let the oil life percentage drop below 50%. We also negotiated in an extended component coverage on the engine to six years, 100,000 miles, since it took four dealer visits over 51 days to actually fix the issue as this was early 2021 prior to the updated TSB guidance. All of that said, I have no interest in owning this truck out of warranty due to the awful valvetrain and overall questionable build quality so it'll be gone before then.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Please educate me on what a "fuel pipe' is and includes that you are referring to and why it should be replaced on a lifter repair.  I am not a "motor head" is why I am asking.  I have a 2021 5.3L that has 5,100 on it so far.  It has been flawless so far but would like to be educated/prepared in case needed.

• Like 1

Disclaimer; I'm not a motorhead either. This is what I've learned after some homework. If anyone knows better, please enlighten me!

Under the intake manifold, there are 2 semi-rigid fuel pipes that need to be removed when servicing lifters on the 5.3

GM part #12677002 and #12679463. I did read somewhere that GM specifies 'single use' and these parts are not to be reused. I've looked at other dealer service invoices for lifter replacement and these pipes were replaced.

My Sierra build date is 12/20 and I've babied that truck like my first born child. 2 lifters collapsed simultaneously at freeway speed leaving the truck undriveable. I hope you escape this curse!!

4 minutes ago, Paul Ternes said:

Disclaimer; I'm not a motorhead either. This is what I've learned after some homework. If anyone knows better, please enlighten me!

Under the intake manifold, there are 2 semi-rigid fuel pipes that need to be removed when servicing lifters on the 5.3

GM part #12677002 and #12679463. I did read somewhere that GM specifies 'single use' and these parts are not to be reused. I've looked at other dealer service invoices for lifter replacement and these pipes were replaced.

My Sierra build date is 12/20 and I've babied that truck like my first born child. 2 lifters collapsed simultaneously at freeway speed leaving the truck undriveable. I hope you escape this curse!!

Okay, thank you!  I will save this post.  I also have been doing all I can to help with the shortfalls i.e., Catch can, Filtermag, Lucas's oil treatment, turning off Auto Stop, no hot-rodding, frequent oil changes at first couple thousand miles.  It's kinda a ridiculous obsession, but it does run super quiet even with the hood up.  My Denali 5.3L was built in DA Mexico in February '21.  I am fairly sure none of my efforts will fix a bad lifter or lifter spring.  I do wish GM would send out a recall on this issue so I could have some peace of mind.   I travel on long trips with family.  If it leaves me stranded that will probably end my relationship with GM and I will return back to Toyota for good where I didn't have these worries.  I just liked the Denali offerings, so I thought I'd give it a try and then this carp I learned about.  It was all rainbows and unicorns at the dealership when purchasing...Ha.

I feel the same way you do. I own a restored 1962 Impala SS that I would like to show at the Bowling Green Kentucky VCCA International Meet next August. I live in Oregon and would trailer my 62 using my 2021 Silverado 5.3 DFM truck. After spending $50K for the truck I refuse to take a chance on a lifter failure. I could be stranded anywhere between Oregon and Kentucky waiting for a backordered set of lifters. I would probably be put  in line behind the repairing dealers regular customers. I have owned 8 GM trucks since 1968 and this is the first one that I am afraid to travel with.

5 minutes ago, dgstarr63 said:

I feel the same way you do. I own a restored 1962 Impala SS that I would like to show at the Bowling Green Kentucky VCCA International Meet next August. I live in Oregon and would trailer my 62 using my 2021 Silverado 5.3 DFM truck. After spending $50K for the truck I refuse to take a chance on a lifter failure. I could be stranded anywhere between Oregon and Kentucky waiting for a backordered set of lifters. I would probably be put  in line behind the repairing dealers regular customers. I have owned 8 GM trucks since 1968 and this is the first one that I am afraid to travel with.

Your reading too much into this! Put your trailer on your truck and drive it. The chance of failure is really very low. I will say GM Roadside Assistance was excellent. They had a flatbed truck at my location within 15 minutes. A dealer loaner wasn't available but GM offered to pay for a rental. We agreed GM would pay for 90 day insurance policy on my summer car that was in storage so I had something to drive. I haven't seen that reimbursement yet. Haha

20 hours ago, dgstarr63 said:

On the upside, when you tow that much weight, you most likely will be in one of the "L" gear ranges which disables DFM and greatly reduces the likelihood of a failure. I tow a 4,000 lbs. camper with our '21 Silverado 5.3 8-speed in L6 with tow/haul engaged, for example.