Build times

1 hour ago, Thumper7 said:

I’m wanting to order a 2500 CC 4x4 LT with 6.6 gas engine.  I’ve talked to 5 different dealers and have gotten 2 different answers.  Three are small dealers in rural areas.  They say 4-6 months on an order and 2 of them told me the gas engine trucks are not being built right now - maybe by the end of Feb.  The other 2 dealers are both in the top 10 in sales in the US  for Chevrolet.  They told me a sold order would be 6-8 weeks.  Don’t want to sell my current ride and then wait for 6 months before new truck arrives.

Yeah, if at all possible, don't sell your current truck until you've got keys in hand for the new one. 

I went through a large dealer in Utah. It took a bit to get an LT slot that didn't create conflict with restricted options.  Different options were restricted, and then released to order again (like the 5th wheel option).

We started looking to place an order in October, finally got it placed in December (I had to give up the marker lamp option), and the dealership was provided a tentative build date in February.  Since it isn't even close to "build" yet, no information available on when it could possibly ship, or even it it will actually build in February.

So many environmental uncertainties; Weather, Port issues, vendor supply issues, current political issues.  It is all very fluid, and changes daily.  

Can you imagine working in logistics? What a roller coaster that would be.

I don't have a ton of "knowledge" on this, as this was my first time doing any of this, and I haven't read up a ton.  My only question is, if dealers are getting allocated trucks, and you don't get your name on one of the "allocated" ones, you have no idea when you truck will arrive is what it sounds like.  I was shopping for a 1500, wasn't happy with any I was looking at.  Dealership owner is good friend, and mentioned if I had looked at a 2500.  He said they had 1 open spot on allocations for the following month.  We sat down, went through the ordering process, talked about what items may hold up the order and if they were necessary and placed the order.  He told me mid January, this was right before Thanksgiving.  Truck was built on 12/20, and he texted me this morning that truck should arrive around 1/19.  Reading online, seems like if you aren't part of the trucks being allocated monthly to a dealership your truck gets pushed way down the list.....not sure how true this is, but seems like what I've experienced.  My advice would be to find a dealer that knows what they are talking about....the question is how do you find that out lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2022 at 6:14 PM, Leonardo Willi said:

That is encouraging! Mine was ordered in August so I'm going into month 5 for a simple build. I was told my Reg cab/8', gas LT, 4wd ~ to me simple, but apparently the reg cab throws them for a loop. 

This is good news though!! I'm expecting some news any time but trying to forget about it as much as possible.  

Sorry to shoot down your hopes. Just got word from my truck being in transit to stuck in Detroit with the missing parts status. I guess I’ll get it who knows when. 

9 hours ago, Camario said:

Sorry to shoot down your hopes. Just got word from my truck being in transit to stuck in Detroit with the missing parts status. I guess I’ll get it who knows when. 

So how did you find this out? your dealer rep tell you?

Mine hasn't told me ****** for details or insight from the beginning. We've done biz there in the past and one of the sales managers married to my wife's cousin so, I have no issues with trust. I just wish I could know more. It's been pretty nonchalant from the beginning. 

I got a photo in a txt msg on 20th of Oct of a similar reg cab/LB. She said getting this in freed up a build for my reg cab/LB. I did change the wheels/tires 10/12 days ago. I asked and she had to check. Then told me she had to know that day. I think they also want to try and surprise me as much as possible and that's part of the lack of info. We've had a good relationship, I sell equipment so we've had a lot to ****** about together with the challenges that are part of life for a couple years now. 

So it's 2 things - getting a build slot and having them accept it - then it seems to enter Zanadu, the land of unicorns, elves and magic all in chaos. 

fyi

Ordering process causes a lot of confusion.  Dealers cannot just order vehicles willy-nilly, they have to earn an allocation in the production schedule based on prior sales. 

The allocation number will tell all Chevrolet dealers exactly how many trucks/suvs GM will build for them over next few months. Unfortunately, this does not constrain the dealership from pre-selling more than the earned allocation, as GM does not manage this process in any way. In other words, a dealer (knowing they only have two 2500's arriving within the next six months) can pre-sell 20 and simply tell the customer that the order has been put in. For the 18 customers who are at the bottom of the list, they are at the mercy of whatever story the dealer tells them regarding the production of the vehicle. Dealers are under no obligation to disclose how many of their earned allocations are spoken for when making pre-order sales. As such, many dealers don’t disclose this information to the customer because if they did, you would probably walk right out the door.

PS --You can chat with GM customer service (mostly a waste of time) all you want but they are there to run interference to appease the customer.  They DO NOT know more than the dealer does.   First of all you might not even be talking with someone who works for GM.  You really think GM is going to let them get into their system and poke around?  They cannot see anything but the current status code that ANY GM  Dealer can see  referencing the order number.  The dealer has the most information on the order in their Dealer Business Center and NO one else can access that privileged information on vehicle orders.  

Edited by elcamino

Still waiting on my delivery.  I went to my dealer's website...saw the truck was there listed, in transit, correct VIN and order number.  Got a little excited!  Looked this morning and it is back off the website...what a tease.  

Been waiting since June.  

3 hours ago, Cheekster96 said:

Still waiting on my delivery.  I went to my dealer's website...saw the truck was there listed, in transit, correct VIN and order number.  Got a little excited!  Looked this morning and it is back off the website...what a tease.  

Been waiting since June.  

Bummed for you.  Hope you get resolution soon. :cheers:

Years ago I custom ordered a Lexus, and the same thing happened.  It was a gift for my Mother and new Father-in-Law, so I was all over trying to get resolution. Frustrating situation to be in.  Vehicle finally showed up, extremely late.  Never could get a clear answer on what went wrong.

I decided not to get involved with the order on this truck.  I simply set a time limit as to when I'll accept delivery.  If the deadline isn't met, I'll cancel the order, and keep my current truck until I find a suitable truck on a lot somewhere.

Eventually we will get past this, but I've heard everything up to 3 years from now before we will get a "normalized" global supplier situation again.  Probably in time for the next dock worker strike on the west coast... lol

• Like 1

I placed an order 2 days ago on 1/24/2022 for a Silverado 2500 HD CCSB, Z71 Sport, All Star, convenience 1 and 2 and Leather buckets.  The dealership had 3 2500 HD's land last week that they had ordered Mid-October.  They have been seeing 10-12 week delivery on the "ordered 2500 HD's".  I have been searching for dealer inventory for months to conclude the only real option currently is to order.  Essentially all of the "in-transit" trucks on a dealers website are already sold from what I've seen.  I am also noticing the local dealerships (SW Pennsylvania) listing substantially more in transit HD's than I have seen in the past 6 months.  Hopefully that is a sign that things may be loosening up and starting to move in the right direction.     

• Like 1

My truck was ordered with heated wheel, heated and cooled seats, front and rear park assist.  None of which will be active upon delivery.  You get a small credit on the option cost for the inconvenience.  When parts become available, you will take the vehicle to the dealership to have chips and or modules installed to activate the options.  The dealer I ordered from was unsure as to how that was actually going to occur.  I think GM and the dealers are figuring this out as they go.  Thanks Covid..

9 hours ago, dal1980 said:

My truck was ordered with heated wheel, heated and cooled seats, front and rear park assist.  None of which will be active upon delivery.  You get a small credit on the option cost for the inconvenience.  When parts become available, you will take the vehicle to the dealership to have chips and or modules installed to activate the options.  The dealer I ordered from was unsure as to how that was actually going to occur.  I think GM and the dealers are figuring this out as they go.  Thanks Covid..

So I wonder if all the components are there such as the elements in the seats button on the dash etc, its just missing the components or brain to make them work. 

I have a 21 and with trade in values and my GM pricing it actually works out for me to get a new truck again.  But I dont want to be missing a bunch of items.   What you stated sounds ok if its only a for a few months, but almost sounds like an empty promise and almost feel like its a trap, in that 2-3 years down the road if GM never makes the truck right and when you go to trade or sell your going to get well that was a covid truck its not worth as much

14 minutes ago, nards444 said:

So I wonder if all the components are there such as the elements in the seats button on the dash etc, its just missing the components or brain to make them work. 

I have a 21 and with trade in values and my GM pricing it actually works out for me to get a new truck again.  But I dont want to be missing a bunch of items.   What you stated sounds ok if its only a for a few months, but almost sounds like an empty promise and almost feel like its a trap, in that 2-3 years down the road if GM never makes the truck right and when you go to trade or sell your going to get well that was a covid truck its not worth as much

If you buy any vehicle now without an inflated trade in. Usually going for msrp or above. You will get hosed the next time around. If I was still working and had to buy for work. It would be a work truck stripped. Than go after market for goodies I needed for comfort. 

20 hours ago, dal1980 said:

I placed an order 2 days ago on 1/24/2022 for a Silverado 2500 HD CCSB, Z71 Sport, All Star, convenience 1 and 2 and Leather buckets.  The dealership had 3 2500 HD's land last week that they had ordered Mid-October.  They have been seeing 10-12 week delivery on the "ordered 2500 HD's".  I have been searching for dealer inventory for months to conclude the only real option currently is to order.  Essentially all of the "in-transit" trucks on a dealers website are already sold from what I've seen.  I am also noticing the local dealerships (SW Pennsylvania) listing substantially more in transit HD's than I have seen in the past 6 months.  Hopefully that is a sign that things may be loosening up and starting to move in the right direction.     

Sounds like my build.  I got it in Red Hot.

• Like 1