P0332 Knock sensor.

Hey guys,

I replaced these sensors about 7 years ago. The code just popped again. In the last 2-3 weeks I’ve had a MAF code, a head light and a turn signal go out. The p0332 is the knock sensor low voltage bank 2 code. Any chance of it being electrical ie: alternator? I can and will change them again if required. 

How much harm am I doing if I continue to drive it with this code? Ideally I need another month before I can work on it. Thank you for any advice you can give. 

Hi, I've got the same issue, one knock sensor out. I have heard both ways, change the both when you change one, and it will or will not hurt.  Personally my 2005 doesn't seem to mind and mine has been out for a couple of months.  A pain to get to, that's why most say change them both is one goes out.  I'll follow your thread in case you get a good answer.

Hoakieman

At least I’m not alone lol. This is extremely common. It was when I did it the first time as well. I poured some leftover ethanol free fuel in there this past Saturday (mower fuel from two months ago). The code is low voltage but I’m sure it didn’t do it any good. My dad has an 06 with the CEL on… it’s been on for a couple of years 😂. I’m confident it’s the same thing. I just hate seeing that idiot light come on. I RTV’d the damn things last time. They were corroded all to ******. Both aluminum oxide and rust. I cleared the code and will see what happens. 

I used to disable them on LSx engines for street strip use. Known issue with the design, replace both sensors and wiring harness at same time. A TSB came out updating the procedure, cleaning off valley cover, fully seating sensor harness cover with sealant between cover and valley cover to prevent moisture getting in there and making it prematurely fail. Done several using new process and don't have issues afterward, at least not for quite a few years. 

When SES is on the PCM goes to a default mode and retards timing and you end up with worse fuel economy and with the high gas prices do you or can you 

afford it. 

Almost every powertrain code results in deterioration of performance or economy. Dont drive around with a SES light on. 

Edited by redvett

@dna9656

1. Remove intake tube
  2. Undo wiring harness on the passenger side of engine or just push it behind the intake manifold
  3. Remove intake manifold
  4. Remove knock sensor wiring harness
  5. Remove knock sensors
  6. Install NEW knock sensors and knock sensor wiring harness
  7. Install NEW intake manifold gaskets
  8. Replace intake manifold
  9. Reconnect wiring harness
  10. Reconnect air intake tube
  • Like 1

Make sure and seal them or you will just have the issue down the road again.  That is the issue was the poor design would let moisture inside.  Also very important to correctly torque down the knock sensors or you may get a sensor failure.   I have seen where over torquing has damaged them causing failure on a brand new set.

EVERYBODY should have a reliably calibrated torque wrench. The problem is that you usually have to send it off for calibration, (I have never seen a calibration lab open to the general public) and the cost is more than a reasonably priced torque wrench esp. when you include shipping.

• Like 1