Trailer Brake Controller or P3

(Me Again, lol). 

I'm looking at a 2500 tomorrow and I currently run a Tekonsha P3 in my 2019 1500 and I'm wondering 1) how the chevy trailer brake performs and 2) if i could even use an aftermarket one anyway. I really like the controller as it's proportional and the inertial sensors are pretty solid from my experience. 

For the record, no one has seemed to ask a question or complained about the integrated on here, so maybe that serves as a pretty good answer but thought I'd ask more explicitly. 

Cheers

I don't believe any after-market controller can compare to the native controller if set up properly (correct gain).

The factory controller applies braking proportionally to the pressure on the brake pedal. You press harder, the trailer brakes harder. When properly set up, there is no 'pushing' from the trailer under braking.

The inertial sensors are reacting to deceleration of the vehicle versus the braking effort. There will always be a lag.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Brummie99 said:

I don't believe any after-market controller can compare to the native controller if set up properly (correct gain).

The factory controller applies braking proportionally to the pressure on the brake pedal. You press harder, the trailer brakes harder. When properly set up, there is no 'pushing' from the trailer under braking.

The inertial sensors are reacting to deceleration of the vehicle versus the braking effort. There will always be a lag.

Agree 100%. The factory controller works perfectly.

Factory all day.  It works with the Stabilitrak system in the truck to control trailer sway.  If you have the Advance Trailering Package, you can have the truck remember the gain settings for your trailer and up to 5 total trailers.  

• Like 2

I've been a fan of the factory controller for the last 10-12 years.

If you pull multiple trailers, the trailering app can save your preferred setup for each of them. It will also track miles pulled, fuel economy with each, maintenance stuff (if you add it) and so on.

Also has a 'guest' setting for pulling trailers that you don't want to add all the info for.

• Like 2

I used the Tekonsha P3 for about 3 years, and about 10,000 miles of towing.  It is an excellent product for someone without the choice of the factory option. 

I agree with all the above posts regarding the capabilities of the OEM brake controller.  It is a game changer both in critical situations, and ease of use.  Very happy to have it when pulling the big 5th wheel travel trailer. 

One thing I've noticed both on this forum, and in my use.  Programming a trailer into memory caused "connectivity" issues.  So I just use "Guest" trailer.  Since I'm only pulling the 5th wheel, it's not a big deal.  For someone with a few different trailers requiring different gain settings, it may be a bit inconvenient.  But not more so than any aftermarket unit.

29 minutes ago, sheath said:

I used the Tekonsha P3 for about 3 years, and about 10,000 miles of towing.  It is an excellent product for someone without the choice of the factory option. 

I agree with all the above posts regarding the capabilities of the OEM brake controller.  It is a game changer both in critical situations, and ease of use.  Very happy to have it when pulling the big 5th wheel travel trailer. 

One thing I've noticed both on this forum, and in my use.  Programming a trailer into memory caused "connectivity" issues.  So I just use "Guest" trailer.  Since I'm only pulling the 5th wheel, it's not a big deal.  For someone with a few different trailers requiring different gain settings, it may be a bit inconvenient.  But not more so than any aftermarket unit.

I pull 2 trailers with electric brakes, one with mechanical surge brakes and one with no brakes.

I use 'saved' ones for the 2 with electric brakes. 

These trailers 'live' outside (great lakes area).

Haven't had connection issues that weren't corrected by cleaning the blades on the plugs. 

When they are being connected / used on a regular basis I've not had connection issues. 

The record of miles pulled and mpg for each trailer is a sorta neat feature, but what I really like the the 'trailer light test' function that cycles thru the brake/running/left/right light activations.  Make it simple to do a light check without assistance (or a lot of walking). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redwngr said:

I pull 2 trailers with electric brakes, one with mechanical surge brakes and one with no brakes.

I use 'saved' ones for the 2 with electric brakes. 

These trailers 'live' outside (great lakes area).

Haven't had connection issues that weren't corrected by cleaning the blades on the plugs. 

When they are being connected / used on a regular basis I've not had connection issues. 

The record of miles pulled and mpg for each trailer is a sorta neat feature, but what I really like the the 'trailer light test' function that cycles thru the brake/running/left/right light activations.  Make it simple to do a light check without assistance (or a lot of walking). 

Are you driving an HD or half ton?

4 hours ago, sheath said:

Are you driving an HD or half ton?

Currently a 1500.

My 2018 2500 also had no issues with the integrated controller, but of course the 'trailering app' wasn't available then.

All these trailers were also pulled by the 2500.

Afaik, the itbc and trailering app are the same for 15/25/35

14 hours ago, redwngr said:

Currently a 1500.

My 2018 2500 also had no issues with the integrated controller, but of course the 'trailering app' wasn't available then.

All these trailers were also pulled by the 2500.

Afaik, the itbc and trailering app are the same for 15/25/35

I've not read any issues (not trailer related) with the 1/2 ton.  I have read the HD does have a glitch in the software, but doesn't seem to affect every truck. 

Yeah I will second that. The built it one works with the truck.  To be quite honest short of a very few things, theres not much out there that is worth replacing in these trucks.  A lot of snake oil, anecdotal experiences to justify some of this after market stuff.   Not saying somethings cant be better i.e GMs gauge cluster and whole DIC system,  but i tend the engineers from a multi billion dollar company more then some guys in a garage designing after market equipment. 

• Like 1