Oil changes while under warranty

oldman9

Question

With just over 3000 miles, my 2021 Colorado is calling for an oil change.

How does this work if I don't want my dealership to do the service

and not voiding my warranty.

Also thinking of using 100% synthetic oil.

Independent auto services can provide the oil change for less.

Is there some setting on the truck that indicates the change.

Obviously I keep all my auto service records.

Thanks!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, oldman9 said:

With just over 3000 miles, my 2021 Colorado is calling for an oil change.

How does this work if I don't want my dealership to do the service

and not voiding my warranty.

Also thinking of using 100% synthetic oil.

Independent auto services can provide the oil change for less.

Is there some setting on the truck that indicates the change.

Obviously I keep all my auto service records.

Thanks!

No need to "think' about using full synthetic as the factory oil is already that, so use full synthetic.

GM provides your first oil change for free at any Chevy dealer if you wanted to use it up.

If you do them yourself, save the receipts.  

All GM vehicles have an oil life monitor that uses an algorithm to give you the life left of the oil in a percentage.  Its based on RPMs and engine temperatures.  It is reset via the steering wheel controls and the DIC menu in the cluster.  

For the 3.6 V6, 6 quarts of 5w30 full synthetic oil that meets or exceeds the Dexos 1 spec (literally any FS oil on the market) and AC Delco PF-2257G oil filter.  

• Like 1

Generally, the public is unaware that it is illegal for a vehicle manufacturer to tie the warranty of its product to the use of the manufacturers own brand of lubricant or filters. Federal law seeks to ensure competition within the marketplace and that specifically includes guaranteeing continued warranty coverage outside of the OEM-branded lubricants and filters. In short, you have the right to use the oil of your choice. If the lubricant did not cause the problem, the OEM warranty cannot be voided, period.

https://www.ftc.gov/business-guidance/blog/2018/04/ftc-staff-sends-warranty-warnings

• Thanks 1

On 6/10/2022 at 8:02 AM, newdude said:

No need to "think' about using full synthetic as the factory oil is already that, so use full synthetic.

GM provides your first oil change for free at any Chevy dealer if you wanted to use it up.

If you do them yourself, save the receipts.  

All GM vehicles have an oil life monitor that uses an algorithm to give you the life left of the oil in a percentage.  Its based on RPMs and engine temperatures.  It is reset via the steering wheel controls and the DIC menu in the cluster.  

For the 3.6 V6, 6 quarts of 5w30 full synthetic oil that meets or exceeds the Dexos 1 spec (literally any FS oil on the market) and AC Delco PF-2257G oil filter.  

Thanks. Doesn't full synthetic offer at least twice the number of miles between changes? I have seen references up to 10k miles on synthetic, yet this is calling to change at 3K? 

1 hour ago, oldman9 said:

Thanks. Doesn't full synthetic offer at least twice the number of miles between changes? I have seen references up to 10k miles on synthetic, yet this is calling to change at 3K? 

Do you not drive a lot or did the truck sit on the lot before you bought it?  If the truck sees low run time, the OLM will count down the percentage by time.  A 1 year countdown. 

For example, say you have a Corvette and you store it in the winter.  You put fresh oil in it, 100% on the monitor.  Come spring, the monitor will have dropped to like 40-50% life because it was sitting and not running.   

Full synthetics typically can go longer yes, but oil life is still dependent on how you run the vehicle.  If you tow a lot, or lots of stop and go city driving, its harder on oil than if you never towed and ran on the highway at 60mph.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

OP, newdude has made some good points. In addition I wouldn't go past 3k miles on factory fill oil anyway, you want to get rid of any possible assembly "cooties".  As far as 10K mile or extended oil changes on synthetic oil, the fly in the ointment with that is fuel dilution (viscosity killer) which is exacerbated with short trips with these DI engines. Some DI engines require oil changes every 3k miles (depending on type of service). In any case I wouldn't go push it past 5k miles without an Used Oil Analysis to see where you stand with fuel dilution and viscosity indexes.

• Like 2

No issues with warranty.

Use your free oil change that you paid for when you purchased the truck.  (it is part of the total cost, just not stated, do you think GM would give anything for free?)

If you have it changed, make sure they reset the OLM.

If you go  longer than the OLM, I highly recommend getting a used oil analysis,  Fuel dilution is a major issue with these DI engines.

• Like 1

The Law of Reciprocity simply explained is that when someone does something for you, you feel obligated to reciprocate or do something in return for them.  Dealer gives you a Free Oil

is an example.   They give you something free, you feel obligated to return the favor by going to them for the next one and the next etc.  That's the motive behind free oil change. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, oldman9 said:

Doesn't full synthetic offer at least twice the number of miles between changes?

It's conditional and it's marketing. The idea is based on the fact that synthetics have a higher oxidative resistance and if that is the only criteria then that statement would be true. 

Reality is, oil is a sponge and has a limit on how much junk it can hold. Junk does not mean just debris but also things like acids and as Nick pointed out FUEL.

Some GDI motors can pump enough fuel into the oil to move them a full SAE grade in a surprisingly short number of miles. Might be the biggest challenge oil has lately. 

Blenders have also been walking back the additive packages over the last two decades limiting their ability to neutralize and passivate. More Tums please :) 

Lastly many "Synthetic" bases are surprisingly "Dry". That is, not good solvents. Not as good as lower Group mineral oils.

And while some blenders off set this with more polar selections most do not add enough to do due to cost. Just enough to keep the add pack in solution/dispersion.

No sir, blanket statements about lubrication can be dangerous no matter how well they are propagated by OEM's and BIG OIL. 

UOA is a 'tool' one can employ to 'find' the proper OCI and keep tabs on the motors health and TUNE.

Your OLM is a statistical GUESS biased in the OEM's favor.  

• Thanks 1

Oil and filters are cheap compared to vehicle cost and motor replacement. Just don't get pushing oil to the limit. 

Edited by diyer2
  • Like 4

Vehicle manufacturers such as Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen etc are tired of the longevity of their vehicles so they go extended. Doesn’t that make sense? It’s true not all can go extended I don’t in our Genesis. Funny though it’s not a DI engine. In contrast our first Hyundai an 05 Elantra is still going. It’s had 7K oil changes since day one on blends. I don’t just shop vehicles, I shop the reliability and maintenance schedule. There’s a reason GM raised the oil capacity in their trucks. Oil hasn’t gotten worse, some engines have. 

Vehicle manufacturers such as Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen etc are tired of the longevity of their vehicles so they go extended. Doesn’t that make sense? It’s true not all can go extended I don’t in our Genesis. Funny though it’s not a DI engine. In contrast our first Hyundai an 05 Elantra is still going. It’s had 7K oil changes since day one on blends. I don’t just shop vehicles, I shop the reliability and maintenance schedule. There’s a reason GM raised the oil capacity in their trucks. Oil hasn’t gotten worse, some engines have. 

6 hours ago, KARNUT said:

At least in the trucks I feel they raised the oil capacity because they knew that there was going to be fuel dilution with these DI engines. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1