Can I change my brakes?

I always have but things are a little different on this 2019. Pins with clips holding on the front pads. I assume bolts holding on the caliper and bracket? I plan to also  replace front rotors since they pulse a little when hot. The rears look familiar  with the addition of an electical wire I have to deal with or maybe not if I just do the pads? I also read I need to disconnect battery for the whole process or risk it throwing codes and possibly going into limp mode. Do I have it about right? Any words of wisdom or encouragement? Times dictate I do it myself to save on cost. 2019 Siverado 72k. I can't complain about them lasting. I'll replace with GM parts. 

Yes, you can.

You will have to remove the caliper from the bracket that holds the pads, secure it so you don't break the flex hose, and then get the bracket out. Those clips you're referring to are to aid in positioning the pads within the bracket. 

Install is the reverse, super easy.

Shoot. Ill have to for the new pads to fit. I can pump it back up before reconnecting battery? Im doing the fronts for sure. The rears seem more difficult but my truck says they are at 58% whereas the front are at 18% so I can put that off for quite a while.   I I wish there was a video on these new trucks. I have yet to find one for this truck to change all brakes and rotors. All of them are pre 2019.  

I wouldn't suggest it, but yes you can do the front without doing the rear.  Disconnect the battery while you do the front so that the sensor doesn't get jacked up readings, and pump the brakes a few times before hooking the battery back up.  You should be fine.

On 7/14/2022 at 12:02 PM, Minnvmax said:

Shoot. Ill have to for the new pads to fit. I can pump it back up before reconnecting battery? Im doing the fronts for sure. The rears seem more difficult but my truck says they are at 58% whereas the front are at 18% so I can put that off for quite a while.   I I wish there was a video on these new trucks. I have yet to find one for this truck to change all brakes and rotors. All of them are pre 2019.  

Not sure if these trucks have a pump it up feature. The brakes are all electric now. When you push the brake pedal down there is a switch that measures the force you are pushing. It activates an actuator to give you feedback on the pedal that you are applying force (so it doesn't go to the floor). At the same time an electric motor is pushing the master cylinder if you will to activate the brakes to stop the truck. So the actual brake pedal is not connected directly to the master cylinder.

• 2 weeks later...

Did it last night. Front pads only. The hardest part was disconnecting the brake pad sensor. And it was a ******. I ended up breaking it but luckily the pads came with a new one. Too bad there are no videos out there because it would save a lot of people from the hassle I went through. The pads themselves were simple. I opted not to change the rotors this time. My truck, my decision. And GM went through all the trouble of allowing pad change without removing the caliper. Why would they do that if they expected rotors to be changed every time with pads?

The menu option to reset the brake life indicator will not work. Its there but not selectable. Stealership wants $100 to reset it with scan tool. LMAO! Its back to keeping an eye on them the old fashioned way which has never let me down. 

The new pads even have wear tabs and I CAN disable the pad monitor function. 

To sum it up the front pads are a breeze and I dont think you can get into any code trouble doing it BUT I did put my vehicle in brake service mode during the operation however I suspect that procedure is exclusively for servicing the back brakes. Ill find out some day. 

On 7/26/2022 at 1:22 PM, Minnvmax said:

Did it last night. Front pads only. The hardest part was disconnecting the brake pad sensor. And it was a ******. I ended up breaking it but luckily the pads came with a new one. Too bad there are no videos out there because it would save a lot of people from the hassle I went through. The pads themselves were simple. I opted not to change the rotors this time. My truck, my decision. And GM went through all the trouble of allowing pad change without removing the caliper. Why would they do that if they expected rotors to be changed every time with pads?

The menu option to reset the brake life indicator will not work. Its there but not selectable. Stealership wants $100 to reset it with scan tool. LMAO! Its back to keeping an eye on them the old fashioned way which has never let me down. 

The new pads even have wear tabs and I CAN disable the pad monitor function. 

To sum it up the front pads are a breeze and I dont think you can get into any code trouble doing it BUT I did put my vehicle in brake service mode during the operation however I suspect that procedure is exclusively for servicing the back brakes. Ill find out some day. 

Thats AWESOME!  Glad to see you doing it yourself with success.  The sensor should reset when you put the new sensor in but I could be mistaken.  Congrats on the DIY!

Just looked at this youtube, and honestly seems like the easiest thing in the world!  Did GM actually make something better?!?!  No more caliper c-clamps?  No more removing calipers?  No more spraying brake clean everywhere!!!!  WHAT!!!!  lol

Haven't had to change my brakes yet, sorry for the excitement!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

So i bought a used 2019 Silverado 1500 and thought I would check my brakes just to see how much meat they had because I'm new to the brake wear sensor and just wanted to see for myself. After inspection I put everything back together and noticed I had my brake light come on along with "break system failure", check ESC, check trailer brakes and had my speed was reduced to 43 MPH. I limped it over to O'Reilly auto parts and had them put the code scanner on it. The O'Reilly employee told me he had seen this time and time again. Apparently there is a valve that you open on the brake line before pushing the piston back in on the caliper when trying to put brake pad back on. The employee cleared the code and I haven't had any issues since.