Pennzoil Platinum vs Valvoline Extended Protection

Big_Kahuna

4 minutes ago, FJB said:

I will defiantly give it a try, is amsoil even dexos approved ?

Amsoil OE was. I am not sure now. I prefer oils that exceed min standards, re-read my comments a few posts ago about higher end "real" synthetics or advanced base oils formulations. Many exceed standards of API,ILSAC, OEM licensed formulations, which are ALL formulated to a minimum not ball busting better. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FJB said:

I will defiantly give it a try, is amsoil even dexos approved ?

Send me a PM on what you are looking at getting and I can get you a quote as well as get you set up as a Preferred Customer where you save 25% over the prices listed on the web site.

AMSOIL exceeds the dexos specification.  It's not on GM's list.  AMSOIL isn't going to pay to be put on a list so GM can make more money off them.  The product speaks for it's self.  It is all I use in everything I own that takes a lubricant.  Have been  for over 20 years now.

• Like 1

Amsoil oil will pass Dexos requirements. Dexos is a GM standard that oil companies have to pay GM for that endorsement. Many choose not to pay GM for a Dexos label. 

At least try Amsoil OE oil.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, diyer2 said:

Amsoil oil will pass Dexos requirements. Dexos is a GM standard that oil companies have to pay GM for that endorsement. Many choose not to pay GM for a Dexos label. 

At least try Amsoil OE oil.

How many times can this be said? 

:idiot:

Not ripp'n on you diyer2 but those you and everyone else keeps writing this to. 🥴 

I've used Amsoils hydraulic, transmission, and engine oils in extreme conditions. I’ve experienced oil pressure not dropping off in extended usage and even lower coolant temperature under extreme conditions. Using in hydraulics I’ve seen a reduction in pump failure during an hydraulic hose failure. Keeping pumps and motors lubricated during shut down when there’s little oil present. Truck transmission life extended using Amsoil transmission fluid. In the field doubling the hours between oil changes with no effect on longevity. Increasing profits, lowering waste. My experience excludes  hundreds of clearing equipment. Dozens of heavy duty trucks and regular passenger vehicles. Using Amsoil as intended saves money, eliminating waste. I’m an experienced believer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I run Amsoil Signature Series in every vehicle I own, and my two kid's vehicles.  Nick set me up as a preferred customer and now I just order from the web and it's delivered to me from Arlington, Tx in a couple of days.  Being a preferred member, you can get a case of 0W20 for $142, that's $11.82/quart before shipping and sales/excise taxes.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/19/2022 at 10:33 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

How many times can this be said? 

:idiot:

Not ripp'n on you diyer2 but those you and everyone else keeps writing this to. 🥴 

It's hard to educate the masses sometimes Grumpy. 

Edited by diyer2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/17/2022 at 9:22 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

I can't think of a single reason why 'lifter tick' would happen with one oil and not the other. Both oils are in the same viscosity range and grade. 🤔

Unfortunately, some GM engines are known for lifter tick, cam lobe scoring, piston slap, sticking rings, and excessive oil usage, Grump. Our family has been unlucky enough to have 2002 and 2009 Silverados with these problems. On cold startup, until fully warm, they sound like the first 80 seconds of Van Halen's Hot for Teacher song cranked up. Our experience has been that within the same viscosity, and even the same brand and subtype, the noise (and excessive oil usage) can vary from oil batch to batch and oil filter used, all being within GM 'factory spec'.

That being said, your mileage and good fortune may vary, apparently depending on if your parts (and lubricants?) were manufactured and assembled on a Monday, Friday, or the day before or after a holiday. 

Edited by MaverickZ71

4 hours ago, MaverickZ71 said:

Unfortunately, some GM engines are known for lifter tick, cam lobe scoring, piston slap, sticking rings, and excessive oil usage, Grump. Our family has been unlucky enough to have 2002 and 2009 Silverados with these problems. On cold startup, until fully warm, they sound like the first 80 seconds of Van Halen's Hot for Teacher song cranked up. Our experience has been that within the same viscosity, and even the same brand and subtype, the noise (and excessive oil usage) can vary from oil batch to batch and oil filter used, all being within GM 'factory spec'.

That being said, your mileage and good fortune may vary, apparently depending on if your parts (and lubricants?) were manufactured and assembled on a Monday, Friday, or the day before or after a holiday. 

Pretty dark world you live in Bret. 😬

Your answer is in the word COLD. What happens to viscosity below 40C. The CCS value has a maximum per SAE grade but not a minimum. 5W* for example has a CCS of 6600 cP at -30C/-22F. It isn't a linear curve. 

Mercedes Benz 5W30 is 6,612. 

Valvoline EP 5W30 is 6,200. 

Citgo Supergard 5W30 is 6,100 

Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 is 4,000.

Red Line HP 5W30 is 3,000.

Pretty good difference. About the same in cP.

Makes a big difference in cold flow. 

I'm using the Valvoline R&P 5W30 in my problem child. Around 6,200 CCS. Sounds like a diesel when it starts cold even when cold is but 20 F. Quite on startup with Kirkland 5W30. 4,400 CCS. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Your answer is in the word COLD. What happens to viscosity below 40C. The CCS value has a maximum per SAE grade but not a minimum. 5W* for example has a CCS of 6600 cP at -30C/-22F. It isn't a linear curve. 

I'm using the Valvoline R&P 5W30 in my problem child. Around 6,200 CCS. Sounds like a diesel when it starts cold even when cold is but 20 F. Quite on startup with Kirkland 5W30. 4,400 CCS. 

D4684 pumping vis is more critical since modern engines starters and batteries will crank in about any temp. 

Gelation D5133  as another. 

https://www.savantlab.com/testing-highlights/scanning-brookfield-gelation-index-low-temperature-low-shear/

Here’s a snapshot of Mobil 1 EP 5w30 SM I tested years ago. Any Gel index value above 6 units can be a problem. In other words air is not a good lubricant. I show kinematic vis which is not dynamic for comparison. 

IMG_8155.thumb.jpeg.84d7d77f0fc24f9bd9d1ed7a7afe1aa7.jpeg

Here’s Redline 10w30 SJ tested in 2004. It failed gelation index testing. 

IMG_8156.thumb.jpeg.f2c8968d617ab121f077f22370e5fb9d.jpeg

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, customboss said:

D4684 pumping vis is more critical since modern engines starters and batteries will crank in about any temp. 

Gelation D5133  as another. 

https://www.savantlab.com/testing-highlights/scanning-brookfield-gelation-index-low-temperature-low-shear/

Here’s a snapshot of Mobil 1 EP 5w30 SM I tested years ago. Any Gel index value above 6 units can be a problem. In other words air is not a good lubricant. I show kinematic vis which is not dynamic for comparison. 

IMG_8155.thumb.jpeg.84d7d77f0fc24f9bd9d1ed7a7afe1aa7.jpeg

Here’s Redline 10w30 SJ tested in 2004. It failed gelation index testing. 

IMG_8156.thumb.jpeg.f2c8968d617ab121f077f22370e5fb9d.jpeg

Here’s a Amsoil XL 7500 10w30 SJ version from 2001 we tested for comparison. 

IMG_8157.thumb.jpeg.678d00626477b0af5fcbcd6f30f89775.jpeg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Yep. We live out here where, if someone says 40C, everyone blinks, looks at each other, shrugs, and then i Google it later when there's cellphone coverage. 🤷😆

• Haha 1