2022 GMC 2500HD Denali power assist steps

Sorry if this is already discussed somewhere, but for whatever reason, this site only lets me see the topic titles, not the actual posts or discussions.

I have a 2022 GMC 2500HD Denali crew cab with power retractable assist steps. It’s only got 3K miles on it. At about 1500 miles, I started getting an intermittent problem where the assist step on the passenger side would deploy when the door was opened and then retract on its own right away with the door still open. It was intermittent and hard to get it to repeat on demand.

Since then, it has increased some in frequency and now includes the driver’s side. I have taken video of it happening. But it’s still not enough to guarantee a GM mechanic can get it to repeat when I need it to to get it fixed.

Bit is sure sucks when someone goes to step out of the cab and is expecting a step to be there and it’s not. Would be even worse if the thing closed quickly on someone’s foot unexpectedly.

The only correlation I can see so far is that it has happened after it has been driven for a little while (not from a cold start) and it has been hot here in Las Vegas. Perhaps heat affecting the controller or sensors?

Has anyone else seen or heard of this problem?

Thanks in advance.

I have the exact same issue on passenger side also, It started right after I brought it home. Its on the list for them to check at the next oil change. Ill post back if they find anything.

I have a great relationship with one of the service guys at the local Chevy dealership. I spoke with him about it and I guess there’s a bulletin that was recently released calling for Chevy and GMC trucks with this problem to be serviced with a software update to the controller. I’ll be getting mine done in a couple weeks after a planned surgery.

I will come back here after having it done and some time having passed to report on the results.

• 2 months later...

I'm having the exact same problem. I've been able to attribute it hot weather. It seems to happen only when the outside air temp is over 90 degrees, give or take. Now that cool weather has arrived, it's been working just fine. I had it in for 7500 mile check. I was told that unless the mechanic can "make it happen" there is little they can do. I guess I'll wait for summer to get it fixed!

• 2 weeks later...