Assist steps / running boards

I’m looking for everyone’s opinion on running boards. Looking to get some for a 2019 trail boss. What has everyone put on their trail boss or trucks and what do people recommend? Looking for any sort of review

I have one set that I have been looking at specifically.

https://accessories.chevrolet.com/product/crew-cab-sport-step-assist-steps-in-black-with-silverado-script-84742421?year=2019&make=Chevrolet&model=Silverado 1500&modelId=491&body=Crew Cab Pickup&bodyId=22&wheel=Short Box&wheelId=651&trim=LT Trail Boss&trimId=5101&drive=4WD&driveId=8&engine=5.3L V8 GAS&engineId=2059&bodyNumDoors=5&categoryId=12062

Has anyone put these on and what do they think of them? Are they slippery in the winter when there is snow? 

if anyone has pictures of their trail boss with running boards I would like to see them. Would be nice to get something that keeps the mean look of the trail boss.

It is 24 inches from the ground to the door sill of my truck and that is a real groin stretcher. Had the dealer put on the factory running boards (which he agreed to do at no cost for running boards or labor to sell the truck) and so it is now 18 inches from the ground to the running board and that makes all the difference in the world.

The running boards keep the mud and dirt and gravel off the sides of the truck. I cannot understand why anyone would think that having the running boards retract and lose this protection is a good idea.

It is 24 inches from the ground to the door sill of my truck and that is a real groin stretcher. Had the dealer put on the factory running boards (which he agreed to do at no cost for running boards or labor to sell the truck) and so it is now 18 inches from the ground to the running board and that makes all the difference in the world.

The running boards keep the mud and dirt and gravel off the sides of the truck. I cannot understand why anyone would think that having the running boards retract and lose this protection is a good idea.

Ummm they still offer protection while retracted. They just look nicer doing it. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

I had those very running boards installed on my Trail Boss and really like them.  They are nice and wide and have great traction when wet or with snow/ice on them.  They feel very heavy duty and I think they look great. 

IMG_2176.JPG

IMG_2175.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a 2020 SLT 1500 4WD crew cab short box.  It sits a lot lower than the AT4  or any of the 2500s.  The 6" black OEM running boards are still a great help for an old guy like me.  Can't imagine getting into an AT4 or 2500 without some running board.  Only problem I had was off road and dropping a wheel into a big pot hole and bending up the center mounting bracket.  I took it off and did not see a significant difference in the support strength of the  step, so I took off the other side.  May not be as much of a problem on taller vehicles but would be more vulnerable on standard or long bed.  Taking off that bracket saves about 3 inches of ground clearance in the center of the running board.  By the way the bent bracket ripped out the bottom bolt mounts of the running board but otherwise did not damage it.