Dealer run around

2019 AT4 with 57,000 miles uses 1 guard in 4000 miles.  I’m 77 years old. I drive 11 miles to and from my office on county roads. No hot rod no racing no towing. My dealer says,”ignore the computer for timing on an oil change, change oil every 5000 miles, check the oil each time you buy gas. I did this kind of thing with my first car in 1960. It used oil, I paid $200.00 for it not $60,000.00 and it was far from new.   Is anyone getting help with this?  If it uses 1 quart in 4,000 now what will it be with 90,000 miles?

• Sad 1

I drive mine about 14 miles round trip to work. It's got about 22K miles in nearly 3 years. I change my oil when it's under the 25% mark. That's usually about 5K miles. The dealer shouldn't care when you change the oil they are getting paid for it. I check the oil every now and then it's always between the full and add mark. That is normal operating condition. Now if it was below the add mark I'd probably get it looked at.

1 quart in 4000 miles

You are well within specs by GM standards, so they will offer no assistance.

Since you do not drive a lot of miles, maybe start changing it every 3000-4000 miles and see if that helps. 5000 max.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Pike Helleksen said:

2019 AT4 with 57,000 miles uses 1 guard in 4000 miles.  I’m 77 years old. I drive 11 miles to and from my office on county roads. No hot rod no racing no towing. My dealer says,”ignore the computer for timing on an oil change, change oil every 5000 miles, check the oil each time you buy gas. I did this kind of thing with my first car in 1960. It used oil, I paid $200.00 for it not $60,000.00 and it was far from new.   Is anyone getting help with this?  If it uses 1 quart in 4,000 now what will it be with 90,000 miles?

How often do you change the air filter?  You could have a weak from factory coil or coils and never know it. Increases fuel consumption and washes fuel into the oil. Allowing the consuming. You could have fuel pump issues unknown that are leaking fuel into the oil at a very low level.  

I'd monitor it closely. It should not burn a quart every 4000 miles, even if doing hauling or towing. I know the old saying of "a quart every 3000 miles" when that was the norm for changes, but engines are tighter and more advanced now. You shouldn't have excessive consumption under the driving conditions you describe.

• Like 1

Low quality oil could lead to increase oil use....

Higher volatility oils will lose more of their volume to the environment, i.e.  boil off from engine heat. Dexos allows up to 12% loss and that amounts to almost 1 qt of oil burn-off as being acceptable.  So that right there could explain where the oil is going.

• Thanks 2

I’ve got the same truck, same model year, same trim, same engine etc but have 64000 miles. I’ve never checked the oil (probably dumb on my part) and have had the dealer change it every 7500 miles and rotate the tires at the same time. Zero issues with the truck and the Nitto tires I put on the truck the day I bought it are still going strong too

• Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 1:53 PM, Pike Helleksen said:

1 quart in 4,000mi is more than acceptable.  GM's limit for oil consumption is 1 quart or more within 2,000mi.  Anything less than that is considered acceptable. 

You technically don't have a problem.  Try a different oil perhaps, hot rod your truck a bit too.  A common theme I've noticed on modern engines with low friction rings is the ones that eat oil are the ones never hot rodded or raced.  I drove my last truck (2018 5.3) HARD.  Never burned an ounce.  

• Thanks 1

So Pike is another 1 time poster who comes here to vent IMO. If you complain without a solution you're a whiner in my book. The dealer made suggestions that you seem to have blown off and what does being 77 years old have to do with it. What you paid for it has no bearing on the problem either, you got a truck that uses  oil it happens. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/2/2022 at 8:24 PM, elcamino said:

Low quality oil could lead to increase oil use....

Higher volatility oils will lose more of their volume to the environment, i.e.  boil off from engine heat. Dexos allows up to 12% loss and that amounts to almost 1 qt of oil burn-off as being acceptable.  So that right there could explain where the oil is going.

Indeed, elcamino , add gasoline and calculate that bench test for volatility by crashing it with gas. 

On 10/5/2022 at 9:15 AM, customboss said:

Indeed, elcamino , add gasoline and calculate that bench test for volatility by crashing it with gas. 

Agreed. Regular oil change interval and oil quality is like us humans eating a proper diet to maintain good health. OP could have  elaborated as to how often oil is changed (unless he is strictly going off by "oil life remaining") and the type of oil he is using.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all,

First post so go easy :)

2021 2500HD 6.6 liter gas with 18k miles total, just got back from 7 weeks on the road pulling a 30' travel trailer, 4500 miles and found the oil 2.5 Qts low when we got home. No light, ran like a champ

Called the dealer today and they said and I quote, "according to GMC, 1 Qt every 1,000 miles is acceptable". After a few mins of me complaining, new tech engine, no light... he said it sounds like it's time for an oil consumption test. It goes in next Monday for a fresh oil change

Using Castrol 5-30 Full Synthetic

Seems pretty high, thoughts?

Edited by Rick Schleicher

56 minutes ago, Rick Schleicher said:

Hey all,

First post so go easy :)

2021 2500HD 6.6 liter gas with 18k miles total, just got back from 7 weeks on the road pulling a 30' travel trailer, 4500 miles and found the oil 2.5 Qts low when we got home. No light, ran like a champ

Called the dealer today and they said and I quote, "according to GMC, 1 Qt every 1,000 miles is acceptable". After a few mins of me complaining, new tech engine, no light... he said it sounds like it's time for an oil consumption test. It goes in next Monday for a fresh oil change

Using Castrol 5-30 Full Synthetic

Seems pretty high, thoughts?

I'll start off easy as possible; Welcome to the forum!

You've posted in the wrong section (1500 trucks).  You need to post over in the 2500/3500 section for better responses. 😉

That's all I got for ya.