TPMS Relearn Tool

'22 GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD.

After reading a few posts about correct tire pressure for an unloaded truck, it appears the general consensus is to lower the manufacturer's recommended pressure as that pressure, especially for the rear, is too high (for mine 60 front, 80 rear). So I was considering lowering the rear by at least 20 psi. Not wishing to cause a low tire warning, I started to research a TPMS Relearn Tool.

I watched a few YT videos, which showed how to preform the process, but none were explicit enough to answer my questions, which are:

Does the tool merely "acquaint" the vehicle with the TPMS at a certain position, ie when rotating say the left rear to the right front, but the truck still maintains the factory recommended pressure (in this case 60) for that location?

Or if one wished to lower the pressure at the rear by 20 or more psi, will the Relearn Tool note the new pressure (say 55 psi) and inform the truck to revise the recommended 80 to 55? So now the truck will only warn if the pressure drops markedly below 55?

If a Relearn Tool only "acquaints" the truck with the new TPMS and does not adjust the truck's recognized psi, how does one get the truck to change that psi?

Thanks,

Marv

arkenzo,

Thanks for the reply.

As I do more research, I am finding the Relearn Tool is just to sync tires with wheel locations (as in tire rotation). So, I still wonder how do those who lower the tire pressure as described in my initial post, not have issues with a low PSI warning? Open question, not expecting you to know/answer.

Marv

A poster in this thread I started recommended the Autel TS508K and described it as being able to reset the warning pressures of a tpms. It costs ten times the price if a simple relearn tool. 

If you just want to do a one time change to the warnings, I’d recommend going to discount tire at a slow time and ask them to do it. The tool they used to reset my positions after a rotation was a large Autel tool, not a little relearn tool.  I suspect it has that capability. They likely will do it for free, especially if you are a past customer. 

You should be able to run 50-55psi in the front and 65-70ish in the rear without the low tire pressure warning light coming on.

Don't believe any handheld tool can change the set values in the computer for the low pressure warning.

Edited by CamGTP

50 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

You should be able to run 50-55psi in the front and 65-70ish in the rear without the low tire pressure warning light coming on.

Don't believe any handheld tool can change the set values in the computer for the low pressure warning.

I do not have the tool myself, but MNsledhauler in the thread I attached specifically said he was able to reset the warning levels on his truck with the Autel TS508. 

Maybe they can recently.

Long ago you needed a Tech2 scanner and possibly the GM MDI tools to alter these settings in the computer. Those weren't exactly handheld tools of the day.

For the Autel, That's quiet a bit of money to spend on a tool if you only have one vehicle you need for it.

My Hypertech Max Energy programmer has the ability to adjust the low tire pressure warning. I have load range E tires on my 2016 1/2 ton that require a higher pressure than the stock P rated tires did, so I raised the low tire warning. 

13 hours ago, marpel said:

Thanks to everyone for the responses.

I was hoping there was an easy, and cheap, way to do this, but apparently not. I am only interested in changes for a single vehicle, so unlikely I would spend the money.

Marv

Again, try Discount Tire if they are in your area. I suspect they will reset the value for you for free or for just a few bucks. 

My 23 2500 HD allows me to set ALL stock 20" tires to 55 COLD when 30 degrees out and they will rise due to driving and or a warmer day to about 60 psi - AND they do NOT set off my Dash Warning - Of course I'm not using the truck for towing or with a load +- then I add air

On 1/14/2023 at 4:05 PM, Cosmic Charlie said:

My 23 2500 HD allows me to set ALL stock 20" tires to 55 COLD when 30 degrees out and they will rise due to driving and or a warmer day to about 60 psi - AND they do NOT set off my Dash Warning - Of course I'm not using the truck for towing or with a load +- then I add air

My 2022 2500 is the same way.  I'm running 60 and 50.  No warnings at all.  Perhaps GM updated the system to account for a wider range in tire pressures.....just a guess on my part.

Another JR, I was hoping I could accomplish this without having to hit a shop each time I wished to raise/lower the pressure.

Cosmic Charlie, Jettech1, perhaps I will try lowering the pressure gradually to see how far I can go without a warning.

Thanks again to all who responded,

Marv

• Like 1

My 3500 SRW with 18 inch wheels shows a warning on the rears at 62 psi. The 2500 should be lower - in the 52 range. I have run my front tires at 53 with no warning, but don’t know the warning pressure for the front.