CENTER CONSOLE SHIFTER QUESTION (REMOVAL?)

Anyone know if it would be possible to remove the console transmission shifter and install a column shifter? obviously this is on the refresh LTZ trim

Why not buy one with the column shifter already? well because Chevy decided not to offer them anymore in the LTZ trim. and I need the extra 6th seat to fit my family.

If you know whether or not this can be done please let me know.

Thank you,

I'm guessing no not without some significant cost. The center console shifter is electronic. I'm pretty sure the column shifter is still mechanical. Unsure if any of the software will like the change either. 

Edited by jaxcam02

On 1/10/2023 at 3:24 PM, Nestor Romero said:

Anyone know if it would be possible to remove the console transmission shifter and install a column shifter? obviously this is on the refresh LTZ trim

Why not buy one with the column shifter already? well because Chevy decided not to offer them anymore in the LTZ trim. and I need the extra 6th seat to fit my family.

If you know whether or not this can be done please let me know.

Thank you,

Apparently the new 3500HD only have a column shifter. Because people were complaining it took up too much space with the console shifter. You'd probably have to replace the steering column and the console though. That's probably kinda pricey. At least Ford has the option for the shifter to fold down into the console out of the way.

The center console real estate is too valuable to me to waste on something I touch exactly twice per trip.

I'm fine with the column shifter, but I'd go for a push button, rotary dial, touch screen - anything besides a console shifter that usually take up 1/2 the space there.

Anybody travel with a woman knows there needs to be a place for the purse... which I'm surprised isn't better addressed in the SUV's

Because you are  a follower and you want me to be one,never ever.

I buy what I like and want.

I'm asking if anyone has the knowledge on how to remove the shifter not for anyone to come to my house and do it for me.

Your way of thinking comes across as '"lazy' basically stating "just do as everyone else is doing"

If you do not have any constructive feedback  then do not comment on my thread.

Thank you!!!

I doubt anyone else has done it... but I would start with finding a steering column from the previous generation truck or wait until one of the refreshed HD's is out. That would at least take care of the hardware for the column shift.

Then, if I were to guess, inside the hardware of the column is an electrical switch the column lever actuates - not at all unlike what the rotary knob does in the console. Wouldn't be surprised if getting the column switch to output the information the console switch does back to wherever the console switch does would be the easier part. "Command park, command reverse, command neutral, command drive, command manual..."

Last, fill hole in console with part from the upcoming HD's.

2 hours ago, asilverblazer said:

I doubt anyone else has done it... but I would start with finding a steering column from the previous generation truck or wait until one of the refreshed HD's is out. That would at least take care of the hardware for the column shift.

Then, if I were to guess, inside the hardware of the column is an electrical switch the column lever actuates - not at all unlike what the rotary knob does in the console. Wouldn't be surprised if getting the column switch to output the information the console switch does back to wherever the console switch does would be the easier part. "Command park, command reverse, command neutral, command drive, command manual..."

Last, fill hole in console with part from the upcoming HD's.

Very good idea/information.

I appreciate your positive feedback.

I have done the console delete and installed the jump seat on a

2022 LTD LTZ but this seems like a major overhaul.

• 2 months later...

Have you done this modification?  I have the same issue in that I need seating for 6 but you have to order a bare bones truck to get a console and isn't really worth it.  I've also thought about modifying the back seat and adding another seat belt for my 4 kids that can all still fit back there.  Anyone done anything with the rear seat to add belts/capacity?

20 hours ago, GMC1986 said:

Have you done this modification?  I have the same issue in that I need seating for 6 but you have to order a bare bones truck to get a console and isn't really worth it.  I've also thought about modifying the back seat and adding another seat belt for my 4 kids that can all still fit back there.  Anyone done anything with the rear seat to add belts/capacity?

My very not bare bones SLE will have the column shifter.

It would want to add the console with many other options, though.

In the configurator:

- Premium audio: console

- Leather: console

- certain engine/trans combos: console (I ordered the 2.7)

- etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I would gladly swap you for the column shifter in my 2019 LTZ, but as others stated, it would not be worth the time or expense. I love the console shifter and wish I could easily convert mine, but the column shifters from 2019-2021 are mechanical, and the new console shifters for 2022+ are electronic.