CENTER CONSOLE SHIFTER QUESTION (REMOVAL?)

On 1/10/2023 at 3:24 PM, Nestor Romero said:

Anyone know if it would be possible to remove the console transmission shifter and install a column shifter? obviously this is on the refresh LTZ trim

Why not buy one with the column shifter already? well because Chevy decided not to offer them anymore in the LTZ trim. and I need the extra 6th seat to fit my family.

If you know whether or not this can be done please let me know.

Thank you,

No can do.  The transmissions are set up differently (different control valve bodies and a couple other components) because the column shift still use a cable from the column to the transmission, whereas the console shift is all electronic shift-by-wire to the transmission.

Removing it will do nothing but turn on a bunch of fault codes for the ETRS (Electronic Transmission Range Select) and render the truck inoperative.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 8:10 PM, GMC1986 said:

Have you done this modification?  I have the same issue in that I need seating for 6 but you have to order a bare bones truck to get a console and isn't really worth it.  I've also thought about modifying the back seat and adding another seat belt for my 4 kids that can all still fit back there.  Anyone done anything with the rear seat to add belts/capacity?

A 2500/3500 or a Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade is what you need.  

• 1 month later...

I saw a 23 1500 with refreshed interior and column shifter with bench seat though. I would guess that's the only way GM made the column shifter avail was if you had a bench seat. If you could find a truck that had those options I bet it'd be easier to swap in a center console in place of the middle bench seat.

Refreshed with column shifter.jpg

Edited by acmech87

• 1 month later...

Give me a console with the column shifter -- same as the refreshed HDs are getting.

I've give the console shift a trial and I still DETEST it.

I drove GM HD's for about 15 or so years, but no longer need a HD.

Maybe someone can figure out what is necessary to put the HD uplevel column shifter system into the LD truck??

2024 HD Denali

image.png.069a48c28ef6b12284e1b8f1a42fea23.png

7 minutes ago, Mshawn said:

Wow that was uncalled for bro!!!

No kidding

On a tangent... how many have thrown it into "park" only to realize you're in REVERSE?  Full forward has been Park for all automatic transmissions forever.  Why the HELL would they make it a button here?

Damned near hit a car today after backing into a spot.  In my head, it was in park until I started going backwards 

Just now, Rob Mugs said:

No kidding

On a tangent... how many have thrown it into "park" only to realize you're in REVERSE?  Full forward has been Park for all automatic transmissions forever.  Why the HELL would they make it a button here?

Damned near hit a car today after backing into a spot.  In my head, it was in park until I started going backwards 

I have done that too.  

It makes the console shifter dangerous.

I've had one foot on the ground and realized the truck wasn't in park because it was starting to move. (Was only going to be out for a short time, so wasn't shutting it off) 

Park has always been the shift point after park on every other automatic that uses a shift lever.

Like you said, push the button and move the lever to the end  - past reverse. 

We also have an Acadia, with the button shifter.

Didn't like it a first, but it's a way better that a console shifter.  Kinda thought that's what the LD's would get when they went away from the column shift.

On 7/18/2023 at 9:34 PM, redwngr said:

Give me a console with the column shifter -- same as the refreshed HDs are getting.

2024 HD Denali

image.png.069a48c28ef6b12284e1b8f1a42fea23.png

And now the trailer brake controller is there... at least its not in the way on the Chevy trucks.

The only thing that should be in this area are cup holders and storage. Inevitably the drinks get spilled and soak everything in this area... shifters, buttons, controllers, etc. 

37 minutes ago, asilverblazer said:

And now the trailer brake controller is there... at least its not in the way on the Chevy trucks.

The only thing that should be in this area are cup holders and storage. Inevitably the drinks get spilled and soak everything in this area... shifters, buttons, controllers, etc. 

Console brake controller is in same spot with both shifters.

I kinda like that location, especially when compared with the ones that required using the left hand.   

I'd still like to have an open bin for gloves, glasses, and 'stuff' to go with the cupholders. 

The stupid column shifter taking up a bunch of space with the cup holders on the other side of the column is one of my few gripes about this truck.  I much prefer how it is setup on my tesla - a stalk on the right side of the wheel.  Tap up for reverse, tap down for drive, button on the end to put it in park.