Do you pay for an OnStar plan?

Do you pay for an OnStar plan?  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 hours ago, GN2018 said:

One thing I liked about the OnStar app was the ability to start my car (when I worked) while I was in my office and it was in the parking structure.  Can’t do that with the fob and it was a nice option in the winter.  In retirement, I am never in that situation.  The fob works just fine.

Agree.  Same for when at a restaurant or shopping, etc.  Many times away from home the truck is out of range of key fob.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gangly said:

I use my key fob for remote start, and could care less about anything else OnStar offers.  I had a free trial period of OnStar, Wifi, etc. and never used it once.  There is very little that OnStar provides, that my phone doesn't do better, at least with regards to things I want from my vehicle.  

So personally, no, I have never paid for OnStar and will never willingly pay for OnStar.  However, everybody has different wants/needs and there is no price on "peace of mind", so I can understand why there are some who chose to utilize their services.

That is a good point and mostly I drive by myself.  I would like wifi for the times I have kids in the car, but certainly a limit to what I willing to pay for that. 

I like the ability to remote start my vehicles (2020 Equinox & 2022 Silverado) remotely. I also travel a lot so the wifi is nice in the cab, not to mention the wifi is what allows the built in Google Maps to work in my refresh 22. And piece of mind knowing that if I'm out of town, the wife and kids will have a safety feature if they have a wreck. The kids like the wifi for their devices when we drive somewhere.

• Like 1

No OnStar or connected services of any kind here. I called OnStar immediately after buying my truck and made them disconnect it all right away. Had to argue with them a little because I still had a few weeks of my free trial, but I wanted it off right then.

then I disconnected the antennas in the truck and verified that none of the connected features work.

I'm still rather upset that the dealership signed me up and gave them my phone number without clearing it with me first. I was on the way to pick it up and started getting text messages from OnStar and congratulating me on my new truck. had they asked I would have refused. Now I've got an OnStar account I can't get rid of that I never consented to in the first place. At least its disconnected and I'm not getting any messages from it anymore.

5 hours ago, kodiakdenali said:

No OnStar or connected services of any kind here. I called OnStar immediately after buying my truck and made them disconnect it all right away. Had to argue with them a little because I still had a few weeks of my free trial, but I wanted it off right then.

then I disconnected the antennas in the truck and verified that none of the connected features work.

Paranoid much? 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7.99/mo for remote start and 14.99/mo for unlimited data. I find it hilarious all the people here that whine about 7.99/mo on a 60-70k vehicle. I travel for work and it's nice to be able to start my truck walking off the plane. The remote is out of range half the time, and I never have that issue with the plan. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, jashaw said:

Data is provided by AT&T cell towers for wi-fi. No AT&T service = no wifi. Key fob remote start works for me. No need for the subscription.

Kind of hard to find an area in Michigan without cell coverage. With the Google based infotainment system now, it's almost going to be required to get all of the features going forward. I don't even use Android Auto now. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jus Cruisin said:

Kind of hard to find an area in Michigan without cell coverage. With the Google based infotainment system now, it's almost going to be required to get all of the features going forward. I don't even use Android Auto now. 

Huron National Forest where i'm at says otherwise about finding areas without cell coverage :)

Edited by jashaw

22 minutes ago, Jus Cruisin said:

My neighbor has a cabin up in that area and streams youtube tv at it. Can't be too bad. 

Plenty of areas of no service on the FS roads I frequent. Neighbor must be in a good spot.

1 hour ago, jashaw said:

Plenty of areas of no service on the FS roads I frequent. Neighbor must be in a good spot.

According to this, there aren't tons of dead spots. Justify not paying for it, it's your money. It's worth it to me to pay 86+ tax a year to not be limited to 100ft of range. Even my last car I had a viper RS put in for this reason. Remote start is useless if it can't be used until you are walking to the vehicle. 

https://www.att.com/5g/coverage-map/