2024 GMC 2500 AT4 Gas

Well got confirmation from my dealer today that the order was picked up by GM on Thursday.  Pretty fast for putting a deposit down this past Monday.  Now it's the waiting game to see how long it will be before TPW hits.  If things go smoothly maybe I get this thing by summer?  I'll be honest getting kind of anxious.  Some of that anxiety is not knowing if I'll like the new 10 speed or not.  I think the new interior will be awesome and looking forward to some of the features. 

14 minutes ago, Doodle said:

Well got confirmation from my dealer today that the order was picked up by GM on Thursday.  Pretty fast for putting a deposit down this past Monday.  Now it's the waiting game to see how long it will be before TPW hits.  If things go smoothly maybe I get this thing by summer?  I'll be honest getting kind of anxious.  Some of that anxiety is not knowing if I'll like the new 10 speed or not.  I think the new interior will be awesome and looking forward to some of the features. 

As I've posted before, that new infotainment system is off the charts.  As to the 10 speed, I bet it will be amazing.  The only thing I question about it is the longevity, but I'm hoping it will be trouble free and bring the gasser HD's to a whole other level!!  

15 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

As I've posted before, that new infotainment system is off the charts.  As to the 10 speed, I bet it will be amazing.  The only thing I question about it is the longevity, but I'm hoping it will be trouble free and bring the gasser HD's to a whole other level!!  

Yes all the tech on these pickups definitely scare me a bit, especially if you keep them long term.  So far the Infotainment on my 2015 has been trouble free at 120K.  It’s had a couple glitches every now an then where the screen goes blank for maybe a couple cycles of running and when it’s real cold the touch screen can be a bit slow to react.  I know going from my 2008 to the 2015 interior was amazing.  I remember being overwhelmed with all the features.  Hopefully I’ll be even more impressed with the 2024!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Doodle said:

Yes all the tech on these pickups definitely scare me a bit, especially if you keep them long term.  So far the Infotainment on my 2015 has been trouble free at 120K.  It’s had a couple glitches every now an then where the screen goes blank for maybe a couple cycles of running and when it’s real cold the touch screen can be a bit slow to react.  I know going from my 2008 to the 2015 interior was amazing.  I remember being overwhelmed with all the features.  Hopefully I’ll be even more impressed with the 2024!

Here's my experience going from a 6 speed to a 10 speed with an explorer.  We owned a 2019 explorer sport, had the twin turbo 365hp engine in it, 6 speed auto, all wheel drive, damn that was great looking SUV for sure.  It sucked gas down like you wouldn't believe, there was nothing ECO about it, and it really wasn't all that quick.  So we traded it in on a 2021 Explorer with the 2.3L 4 cylinder engine with the 10 speed auto...Night and day difference.  That 10 speed is amazing!!!!  It's just as fast if not faster than the 2019 we had with 65 less hp and is way better on gas.  I can get 28mpg out of that thing without even trying and I'm hard on our vehicles.  I drive them like I stole them most of the time lol...19mpg was the best I ever got from the 2019 we had.  So I'm hoping that new 10 speed will be amazing and reliable!

I will say the 10 speed in the diesel is the best truck transmission I have driven by far.  Knock on wood, it never does anything weird and never seems to be in the wrong gear.  Shifts are super quick and you barely feel them, it just goes.  I see no reason it won't work just as well with the gasser.  

I am very curious about how well this gas combo will tow.  I see a bunch of people here with 8-10,000 lb campers that seem to be pretty happy with the 6 speed combo.  Actually have had a passing thought of maybe trading mine in on a gas truck again.  On the other hand, this truck has me spoiled.  

15 minutes ago, XY74 said:

I will say the 10 speed in the diesel is the best truck transmission I have driven by far.  Knock on wood, it never does anything weird and never seems to be in the wrong gear.  Shifts are super quick and you barely feel them, it just goes.  I see no reason it won't work just as well with the gasser.  

I am very curious about how well this gas combo will tow.  I see a bunch of people here with 8-10,000 lb campers that seem to be pretty happy with the 6 speed combo.  Actually have had a passing thought of maybe trading mine in on a gas truck again.  On the other hand, this truck has me spoiled.  

I bet it does have you spoiled.  I would love to own one.  Even though I don't keep my vehicles for a very long time I always look at reliability.  Is my vehicle going to be at the service shop all the time or will it be with me night and day and do what I want it to do.  The transition from a 6 or 8 speed to a 10 speed is amazing.  We all know the 6L90 is holy crap basically bullet proof.  I'm hoping for the same for the new 10 speed trans.

4 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

Here's my experience going from a 6 speed to a 10 speed with an explorer.  We owned a 2019 explorer sport, had the twin turbo 365hp engine in it, 6 speed auto, all wheel drive, damn that was great looking SUV for sure.  It sucked gas down like you wouldn't believe, there was nothing ECO about it, and it really wasn't all that quick.  So we traded it in on a 2021 Explorer with the 2.3L 4 cylinder engine with the 10 speed auto...Night and day difference.  That 10 speed is amazing!!!!  It's just as fast if not faster than the 2019 we had with 65 less hp and is way better on gas.  I can get 28mpg out of that thing without even trying and I'm hard on our vehicles.  I drive them like I stole them most of the time lol...19mpg was the best I ever got from the 2019 we had.  So I'm hoping that new 10 speed will be amazing and reliable!

We have a 2012 Yukon and 2021 Yukon.  The 12 has 175K on it and has been the best vehicle I’ve ever owned.  Literally have done nothing to it other than basic maintenance.  Trans still shifts perfect and never had any issues.  Our 21 has the 10 speed.  It’s a whole different animal.  Seems like you have an extra 50 hp and it gets at least 2-3 mpg more and it’s the same engine.  Time will tell if that transmission will hold up but I’m hoping the 10 speed HD will make me as happy as the Yukon.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, XY74 said:

I studied the gear ratios between the 6L90 and the 10L1000. My feeling is the mid-range pulling power will really wake up with the 10 speed.  As I’ve said in several posts the 6.6 gas with the 6 speed gets a load moving well from 1-2 but kind of falls on its face from 3-4 then after that on the top end it pulls no problem.  You’ll have a couple more gears from 3rd to 6th that should really help.  They fact they bumped the GCVWR up from 24K to 26K might be an indication of a performance gain since engine HP/TQ is the same YOY.  For my needs right now this gas will work great.  May never buy another new diesel again, but I’ll probably always keep my LML around for when I have to tow real heavy. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Doodle said:

I studied the gear ratios between the 6L90 and the 10L1000. My feeling is the mid-range pulling power will really wake up with the 10 speed.  As I’ve said in several posts the 6.6 gas with the 6 speed gets a load moving well from 1-2 but kind of falls on its face from 3-4 then after that on the top end it pulls no problem.  You’ll have a couple more gears from 3rd to 6th that should really help.  They fact they bumped the GCVWR up from 24K to 26K might be an indication of a performance gain since engine HP/TQ is the same YOY.  For my needs right now this gas will work great.  May never buy another new diesel again, but I’ll probably always keep my LML around for when I have to tow real heavy. 

I totally agree that there are blank spots with the 6L90.  You shove your foot to the floor, it will downshift to where the computer will let it and it's doing all it can while you wait for the rpms to increase and really get going.  With several other gears available it should make it a screaming eagle...lol...

The beauty of the 10 spd coupled to the 6.6 gasser is that its the lowest torque/horsepower application for the 10 spd. The issues I have read about with the 10spd have mostly centered around people adding power to the diesels and the trans wont stand for it. 

I have a couple of ideas to simplify maintenance on the 10 spd trans but I am going to have to wait until I can actually put my hands on one to do the research. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Dealer called me today and target production week is set for April 1-10th or so.  Crazy how fast it got picked up.  He said I’ll have the first 2024 there..  Hopefully I’ll see it by mid to late May as I know it will take a bit to get it to the dealership.  Really nuts how this all worked out.  I ordered this less than a month ago and this one is the only one they’ve had to get a build date and they haven’t gotten any additional allocation since I ordered mine.  Getting a little anxious now since it’s getting close.  I’ll keep you all posted when it gets here!

24 minutes ago, Pryme said:

Speaking of funny stuff, here is the new 23 super duty. Wow this thing looks terrible!!!

34B8C495-D8B7-43F2-9495-B2BB9EDA3D3C.jpeg

When I first saw pics of the new Ford I thought my god that’s ugly.  I did see an XLT Tremor that didn’t look too bad but this this is hideous!

Edited by Doodle
Clean up
  • Haha 1