Whining Sound from Enginer Bay 5.3 V8 Silverado 1500

Greetings,

My 2020 Silverado LT 1500 Trail Boss has a whining sound that just started coming from the engine bay which is audible from inside the cabin and from the outside.  It follows engine RPM.  My truck has about 31500 miles.  I went to the Chevy dealer for an oil change not too long ago and a couple of days after the oil change/tire rotation, the whining sound started.  I don't think going to get an oil change and this issue are correlated, but I could be wrong.  Any insight onto what this issue may be would be greatly appreciated.

Below are some videos of the sounds:

Mine was the idler pulley. 2020 Silverado 5.3 with 49,500 miles. Sounded like an old power steering pump low on fluid and going bad.

Dealer replaced the idler pulley and belt under warranty.

Noise gone !

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2023 at 1:37 PM, Varkan said:

Greetings,

My 2020 Silverado LT 1500 Trail Boss has a whining sound that just started coming from the engine bay which is audible from inside the cabin and from the outside.  It follows engine RPM.  My truck has about 31500 miles.  I went to the Chevy dealer for an oil change not too long ago and a couple of days after the oil change/tire rotation, the whining sound started.  I don't think going to get an oil change and this issue are correlated, but I could be wrong.  Any insight onto what this issue may be would be greatly appreciated.

This is certainly not what we like to hear, Varkan.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with a noise in the engine bay on your 2020 Chevrolet Silverado. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: Varkan/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

On 6/19/2023 at 10:37 AM, Varkan said:

Greetings,

My 2020 Silverado 1500 LT had the idler pulley replaced, along with the serpentine belt, at 32,500 miles on the 29th of June in Madras, OR for the same reason/noise.  The issue was the idler pulley, but the stretch-to-fit serpeitine belt had to be replaced because of the idler pulley replacement.

Edited by Anacortes Army Guy

Just took the truck to a dealer and the idler pulley along with the serpentine belt was replaced.  However, the issue was not fixed and the noise still exists.  Will have to take it back to the dealer to see what it could be.  The problem is that my bumper to bumper warranty expired back in March due to it being past 36 months, but I’m only at 32k miles.  Hoping this would qualify under the powertrain warranty if it happens to be an AC compressor or Power Steering pump.

I have a whining noise in my 2023 Sierra SLT 5.3L. The truck has only 2000 miles on it. The whining noise is very annoying at low speed below 30mph or so. The truck is only 3 months old, I took to the selling dealer 2 weeks after buying it but they said noise is normal. I think my noise is from 10 speed transmission, but I am not 100% sure.

I see a lot of discussion regarding whining noise from the transmission here an also on Ford forums, considering it is developed by Ford. I plan on having the dealer look at again with my first oil change. That will be a different dealer and it's the one I am planning on using for service.

• 1 month later...
On 7/5/2023 at 11:43 AM, Varkan said:

Just took the truck to a dealer and the idler pulley along with the serpentine belt was replaced.  However, the issue was not fixed and the noise still exists.  Will have to take it back to the dealer to see what it could be.  The problem is that my bumper to bumper warranty expired back in March due to it being past 36 months, but I’m only at 32k miles.  Hoping this would qualify under the powertrain warranty if it happens to be an AC compressor or Power Steering pump.

You have your previous RO number that shows this is the same issue . It is still covered. Contact GM 

• 6 months later...
On 7/5/2023 at 9:43 AM, Varkan said:

Was your issue resolved? I have same exact sound and what's described on my truck.

I am lucky and do not have any noise like this but plenty of videos i've watched on the tube point the problem at being the idler gear that runs the oil pump in the transmission which is just behind the torque converter. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2023 at 1:37 PM, Varkan said:

Greetings,

After idler pulley replacement, mine came back with a vengeance and ended up being the torque converter. At 50k. This is the second one.