New member and I’m looking to trade my Ram truck in for a new Elevation. I drove both motors listed above. My Ram has a 5.7 and when driving the 5.3 first, the difference was very noticeable, mind you I realize the Hemi is a larger displacement, but the lag with the 5.3 was pretty tough to take. When I got back to the dealer I took the 2.7 for a ride, again I hit the same interstate on ramp and noticed the 2.7 was way quicker getting up to speed. While I prefer the exhaust note of a v8, what’s with all the lag on the 5.3?

Does everyone that owns a 5.3 buy a Pedal Commander? Buying a new truck, I don’t want to void my warranty.

I mean even after the initial lag, the 5.3 just didn’t do it for me. I didn’t think the difference between the Hemi and the 5.3 would be THAT noticeable. 

Im sure this won’t be a favorable topic but this will probably be the last vehicle I buy, I’d hate to regret buying a 4 cylinder even though I had no problem with the way it drives, just not a fan of a truck sounding like a sewing machine.
I have no desire to buy a diesel, I drive a tractor trailer for a living, I can’t stand DEF and the issues associated with it

Also not interested in the 6.2 due to fuel mileage, I’d prefer a little more then 10 mpg 

Any help or insight would be appreciated, thanks

5.3 lag isn't acceptable, no diesels or 6.2's. Buy another Hemi?

Edit

Agree with Bikerjon

My 12 isn't a slouch considering it weighs 5k+

Edited by diyer2

No, I’m def buying a GMC, last new truck, I’m going back to GM

Im just trying to decide on my best course of action. I know my brother loves his Peddle Commander, but I’m guessing I’d need to disconnect it anytime I’m going in for service?

1 hour ago, CK said:

New member and I’m looking to trade my Ram truck in for a new Elevation. I drove both motors listed above. My Ram has a 5.7 and when driving the 5.3 first, the difference was very noticeable, mind you I realize the Hemi is a larger displacement, but the lag with the 5.3 was pretty tough to take. When I got back to the dealer I took the 2.7 for a ride, again I hit the same interstate on ramp and noticed the 2.7 was way quicker getting up to speed. While I prefer the exhaust note of a v8, what’s with all the lag on the 5.3?

Does everyone that owns a 5.3 buy a Pedal Commander? Buying a new truck, I don’t want to void my warranty.

I mean even after the initial lag, the 5.3 just didn’t do it for me. I didn’t think the difference between the Hemi and the 5.3 would be THAT noticeable. 

Im sure this won’t be a favorable topic but this will probably be the last vehicle I buy, I’d hate to regret buying a 4 cylinder even though I had no problem with the way it drives, just not a fan of a truck sounding like a sewing machine.
I have no desire to buy a diesel, I drive a tractor trailer for a living, I can’t stand DEF and the issues associated with it

Also not interested in the 6.2 due to fuel mileage, I’d prefer a little more then 10 mpg 

Any help or insight would be appreciated, thanks

I don't know what year your Ram was but all new vehicles come with torque management to protect the drivetrain. When my 5.3 was new it learns your driving style with the tranny but after I put about 1000 miles on or give our take it really woke up power and shifting wise, I love my 5.3 power and more than enough for what I need. Iam with you on the 4 cylinder motor as I don't want a 4 cylinder in a truck I don't care if it had 500hp but its always revving rpms and can't get past the sound of it. I could hear it now from people " Hey man nice truck what motor you have ummm its a 4cylinder" WHAT? But iam not downing it but it's not for me. Thats why there are choices.

I am currently driving my 4th Chevrolet truck with a 5.3L (all purchased new). All these trucks have had plenty of power and acceleration. I am not sure about horsepower and torque on a Dodge Ram but I would not buy one and it sounds like you don't want one anymore either. Pretty easy to compare T.Q. and H.P. between the 5.3 and the 6.2 gas engines. Most guys who are running trucks with a 6.2 say they are getting about the same MPG as the 5.3. I don't know about that. The only reason I didn't get the 6.2 is because you need to run premium fuel in them and fuel is already very expensive for regular IMO.

Just wait till the 4 cylinder guys see this post ha ha.

Has nothing to do with not liking my Ram or my motor, which puts out 395 hp and 410 tq

Clearly much more power then the 5.3, and not as much as the 6.2

No way the 6.2 gets much more then 10 mpg

Just prefer the new GMC body and the Elevation trim.

2 hours ago, CK said:

Has nothing to do with not liking my Ram or my motor, which puts out 395 hp and 410 tq

Clearly much more power then the 5.3, and not as much as the 6.2

Just prefer the new GMC body and the Elevation trim.

Depends on how it's used.

My last 6.2 got 19-20 on pretty much every tank

3 hours ago, CK said:

Do you drive with your foot stuck to the floor?  Or idle a lot?  Stop and go?  Because a 6.2 will get way more than 10 mpg any day of the week otherwise.  We have a 2020 Tahoe with a 6.2/10 speed in our loaner fleet and in 7,000mi its averaged 19.5mpg.

5.3 with the 10 speed is a great drive.  5.3 is cheap to operate too because it just needs 87 octane.  10 speed fires off shifts and allows that 5.3 to work its power better than the 6 and 8 speeds it had before. 

2.7 Turbomax is a great driver as well, especially over the 19-22 non HO/Turbomax ones.  And it too just needs 87 octane.  I have a 2.7 HO and absolutely love it.  More than both 5.3/6 speed trucks I had, a 2018 and a 2012.  

6.2 is a blast but 91 octane or higher is a must and that can add up if you are on a budget.  

Edited by newdude

1894 the Benz Velo, a 1.045-liter, 63.4 cubic inch motor made 1.5 hp and was the horsepower king of planet earth. By 1928 the Duesenberg straight 8 7 liter (420 CID) Supercharged made 265 hp. 2015 Bugatti Veyron Grand Sport Vitesse equipped with an 8-liter, 488 cubic inch motor puts up 1,183 hp. 92 cars were produced. At every step, a world leader and for a year or two then....

I don't own one. Couldn't afford one. But....if I could, it wouldn't be an oil burner or an overly complex micro motor with a hair drier supplying the bulk of its power from a company that thinks a quart in a thousand in 'normal'. And I sure won't buy an electric from a company that can't figure out rings or torque coverters.

1998 the Honda HX could pass ULEV C.A.R.B. standards for emissions through 2030. Put out over a hp per cubic inch and get 40 mpg and run a half million miles with SPFI and twin wide band O2.  And use no oil doing it. :wtf: GM? 

I do not know what the future holds but I know it isn't holding my wallet. 

• Like 2

10 mpg from a 6.2????

C'mon man this is 2023 not 1983 

My 2023 High Country 6.2 has averaged 18-19 mpg since day one.

My best was a 100 mile run averaging 24 mpg.

I also have a 2022 with the 5.3

and it doesn't get as good mpg

Average of 16-17 mpg since it was new.

13 hours ago, CK said:

Since the 6.2 is only available in 4WD trucks, comparing it against the other motors, ALSO in 4WD trucks, shows that the MPG ratings are mostly pretty close. The 5.3L is only something like 1 MPG better. Why are you willing to accept the ratings of the other motors but you instantly reject it for the 6.2? 

My Camaro has a 6.2L in it along with a 6 speed manual. As such, DOD is eliminated (it ALWAYS runs all 8 cylinders) and the gear ratio is higher than what the automatics receive. So, the potential for fuel milage is significantly worse in every aspect. Yet, I routinely see 20MPG on the highway at 75MPH. Your bias toward the 6.2 is founded in "feelings" and not fact.

One thing to note is that the 6.2 WILL cost you more... It's only available in 4WD trims, you will pay extra for the motor, and it requires premium fuel. And it pays you back every time you press that pedal down when you need the extra oomph it brings.

4 minutes ago, Low Elevation said:

I have the HO 2.7 in my Elevation and really like it. That said, if I was going to keep the truck for a long time I think I would go with the 5.3. I agree on the lag on the 5.3. The 2.7 is more peppier than the 5.3. 

I suspect that the 'lag' is primarily felt/observed when the engine has dropped cylinders and must return to full power mode. The computer has to open the exhaust valves, signal the oil to drain from the displaced cylinder valve areas, and then deliver fuel/air again to those cylinders and bring them back on line. It's quick, but it is not instantaneous.

When I first got my 2015 w/ the 5.3 that used AFM, I -swore- that truck was going to be my death because it simply did not respond how I felt it needed to. 101k miles and eight years later and it was totally fine the entire time. You adapt to the truck as much as it it adapts to you, you meet in the middle, and all is well. And if you simply can not handle that, then tune out the DFM entirely so it stays in full 8cyl mode all the time and watch your MPG drop accordingly.