Transporting extension ladder on 2109 TrailBoss

I need to transport a 12' extension ladder. I've googled and this configuration seems more recommended than hanging the ladder 4' to 5' out the back of my bed. I'm concerned about resting the ladder on the plastic third taillight thing at the back rear of my cab. Any thoughts about protecting it? Note this is not my truck.

spacer.png

With the 3rd brake light, I would not dot that method as you'll likely damage it.

Just let the ladder stick out of the bed, it's the way I've always done it or when hauling 10 foot boards of wood. Hang a red rag, flag or shirt off it to be legal and call it good.

15 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

With the 3rd brake light, I would not dot that method as you'll likely damage it.

Just let the ladder stick out of the bed, it's the way I've always done it or when hauling 10 foot boards of wood. Hang a red rag, flag or shirt off it to be legal and call it good.

X2!!

5 hours ago, wahoowad said:

I need to transport a 12' extension ladder. I've googled and this configuration seems more recommended than hanging the ladder 4' to 5' out the back of my bed. I'm concerned about resting the ladder on the plastic third taillight thing at the back rear of my cab. Any thoughts about protecting it? Note this is not my truck.

spacer.png

I transported a 13ft extension ladder in my standard bed. I left the tailgate up then bought some of those foam pool noodles and sliced them long ways not all the way through like a slit then cut them at maybe 16" long and put them on then edges of the ladder to protect the top of the tailgate strapped the front of the ladder down so it wouldn't flip up then by the tailgate to prevent side to side movement.

https://www.dollartree.com/brightly-colored-swim-noodles-47-in/329034

I like using these instead of foam water pipe insulation as the noodles are more durable. 

Edited by Silverado4x4
  • Like 1

My state (Virginia) doesn't have a length limitation but does require a red flag if it protrudes over 4'. No problem doing that. But it also requires a "red light plainly visible" if at night and I can't immediately think of anything I have at home to do this. Anybody know of a cheap red light solution - preferably battery powered (although I could run it off my trailer hitch receptacle with a long enough cord)

2 hours ago, wahoowad said:

My state (Virginia) doesn't have a length limitation but does require a red flag if it protrudes over 4'. No problem doing that. But it also requires a "red light plainly visible" if at night and I can't immediately think of anything I have at home to do this. Anybody know of a cheap red light solution - preferably battery powered (although I could run it off my trailer hitch receptacle with a long enough cord)

https://www.amazon.com/light-battery-powered-magnetic-magnets/dp/B00OBTK4LQ/ref=pb_allspark_purchase_sims_mobile_m_sccl_2/146-7263206-9825519?pd_rd_w=HZFb1&content-id=amzn1.sym.8cecb028-739a-438a-b7e1-cc013f880d0a&pf_rd_p=8cecb028-739a-438a-b7e1-cc013f880d0a&pf_rd_r=CR8B8S50Q8Z40DDZSRYK&pd_rd_wg=vCF1P&pd_rd_r=1eab9271-5af0-4434-b6f5-6ac4e2c19bc4&pd_rd_i=B00OBTK4LQ&psc=1

I hung a 28 ft extension ladder out the back of my truck this morning.  put it in feet first and let it rest on the tailgate.  attach a flag to the back of the ladder.  use at least 2 ratchet straps to tie it pulling forward to the lowest bed tie downs and one to suck it down the the tailgate.  I do it all the time.  

• Like 1

I wouldn't recommend this, but I saw a truck on the road this morning that had an extension ladder attached underneath the truck! He had it strapped to the front and rear bumper, with the ladder hanging underneath.

I saw that and immediately thought of this post.