Locked out

:seeya:

Ok...it's snowing like crazy. I get out of work, open the door with my Keyless Entry to my 01 Sierra, start the thing, grabbed my broom, close the door and started cleaning off the snow......

After oh.....about 10 minutes, I go around to the driver's door, and guess what.....

I'm locked out. :seeya:

I go around the other side ( I don't know why..I knew it was gonna be locked too), and check the passenger door.....like I knew..it was locked. :D

It was at this point I knew I was screwed. :)

Luckily, my wife is a pretty understanding person, and drove in the middle of this storm to deliver my other set of keys....which I calmly took out of her hands and opened the door.

Has anything like this ever happen to any of you folks?????

Needless to say, I went to Lowes on the way home and had another spare key made to put in my wallet, in case this ever happens again.......

Ok I'm done......

Thanks for listening.

Yeah My honey did that except It was my mothers new subaru highlander. She started it up took the key fob and went inside, came back out and key fob no worky on a subaru when the ignition is on. Now we are in LAS VEGAS and mommie dearest is in TULSA. Finally called a lock guy. Funny thing is when her dad got off work and came in we told the story he started given her hell. Then promptly went outside and locked his keys in his cherokee. Like father like daughter. Same guy showed up to unlock it. Mutherpunker gave dad a "discount" for repeat buisness.

Guest chevydeerhunter

Here's how I remedied that problem. I bought a two-piece keychain and made a copy of my key. I put the original key, house key and any other important key on the side with the remote. On the other ring, I put the copied key. I start my truck with the copied key and lock the doors with the remote. That way, I have a key in my pocket and I don't get locked out of my truck.

I will just try and confuse the issue - but here goes.

1. Mercury Mystique with Auto Mate remote. Doors lock after 3 seconds. I guess since it was aftermarket, the lock feature wasn't tied into moving the shift lever to the Drive Position. I did make the Mystique/Mistake once - you guessed it, scrapping the windshield! After that I read the book and disabled the auto lock.

2. On both my Explorers, the old one I traded and the new on (Yes I do have a Silverado!) I thought the locks only worked in Drive at a couple of MPH.

3. I do like Fords key pad entry, it's a pretty good feature - I guess.

4. Neighbors Ford has the everthing alarm remote package. I think her truck locks and or auto alarms after so many minutes. I believe you can change the program, but don't know how.

5. So, what I really don't know after all this, is assuming you have a GM factory installed when new keyless entry, if GM will somehow let you program the features you want.

Good Luck - I had to ask my neighbor for a ride to another neighbor to get the spare house key to get the spare car key etc etc...

Mike

LMAO....did it once....except it was my house.

I had just moved, and was renting a new house....the house has schlage(sp) locks.....MFers have one of those knob things in the door knob that locks the knob from the outside......BUT what I didn't know was that unlike other door knobs.....when it's set to be locked from the outside....it still allows the knob to be twisted from the INSIDE....so it was raining and I walked outside to put some trash out. Came back to find the door locked.....so I go and try all the other doors....of course they're locked....all the windows are locked :) , AND I CAN SEE MY KEYS on the counter....at this point I was wet and pissed......since it's a vacation rental type community I went to the office.....they gave me a set of keys.....which were wrong....I goto the security gate.....another set of keys....which were wrong........then a nice lady let me user her cell phone, and had a phone book in her car....called the locksmith...waited for 45 mins in my truck for him to come...he get there...He proceeds to tell me schlage is a really good lock, but it's dumb that you can turn the knob from the inside, when you lock the outside.....anyway...he can't pick the lock.....so he pulls out his F******g YMCA card....(I crap you not, it was his YMCA card), and sticks it in the door jamb.....a well placed push, and the door opened. Then we locked ourselved out again, and he showed me how to do it, I thought it was a movie trick....Anyway $80 later, I was in my house.

sorry for the book, but it's kinda funny...... :seeya:

I have remote entry with an aftermarket security system on my truck. Last winter after a rain and overnight freeze, I go to warm the truck up in the parking lot. I use the remote to unlock it, i start the engine, detach my door key and put it in my pocket, lock the doors and go inside while it warms up. Well, I go to put my key in and the locks are frozen on both sides.

With the truck running and locked out, I try to heat the key up with a zippo but it was windy cold out. I resorted to warming a pot of water on the stove and pouring it on the door. I got in and learned my lesson, yet i still don't own any lock de-icer.

aside from that experience, I locked my keys in my '83 cutlass cierra (this time it wasn't running). I picked around inside the door with my wire CB antenna but I couldn't get an edge on anything. I caught a ride home to grab my father's set. Still don't carry a spare set of door keys in my wallet.......

When my truck is running I can only lock the doors with the Key FOB. I can't lock myself out. Don't know what is diiferent between the others trucks. Even if I slide the lock forward with the door open it will promptly unlock itself. I guess it has to do with the door being open or not.

My recently sold Chevy Lumina had a nasty habit of self locking when I got out and then slammed shut the door, this wouldn't really be a problem but I'm one of those people that leaves the engine running and just jumps out to grab something..and..crap locked out! Happened once at the MAC machine, got my money came back and the doors are locked- engine running sunroof open just not wide enough to get in through. Called AAA and waited finally a plumber pulls up and asks if he could help? about 30 seconds later he's got a piece of copper tubing and reachs in through the sunroof to the passenger side and hits the lock button. from then on I always left the drivers side window open some so I could reach in...

I had a similar experience once, but it was with my four legged helper, my dog. I was on the way out to the desert, and I had pulled over on the side of the road to check the bikes in the trailer(make sure they were still tight and upright). I left the truck running, and left the dog inside the truck. Well, seeing as how Beagle's are short statured dogs, he put his front paws up on the door to see out, and in the process locked the doors to the truck. Wouldnt you know......for the next 45 minutes(until AAA showed up) I couldnt get him to repeat that process. We tried food at the window, nothing could get him to unlock the doors. AAA guy said he's seen it before.

Now I have a hide-a-key under the truck.

Also, on Silverados you can change whether the doors lock or not at different times(in D, 3 MPH, etc). Its in the owners manual.

I think all of our locks on the NBS trucks are stupid proof(if you hit the manual lock while the truck is running and the door is unlocked, it will auto unlock it for you. I managed to do something to get around that. To make a long story short, I locked myself out with it running. I was out of town. When the locksmith showed up he unlocked it and handed me a two-ringed key chain with a quick coupler and told me to attatch my fob to one ring and my key to the other. Everytime I warm it up, I uncouple the rings and take the fob with me. I can lock the doors after I get out with the fob and go inside the house. It is just habit now, so when I want to leave it running and lock it at the same time I will take my fob with me. Has worked so far.

I think all of our locks on the NBS trucks are stupid proof(if you hit the manual lock while the truck is running and the door is unlocked, it will auto unlock it for you.  I managed to do something to get around that.  To make a long story short, I locked myself out with it running.  I was out of town.  When the locksmith showed up he unlocked it and handed me a two-ringed key chain with a quick coupler and told me to attatch my fob to one ring and my key to the other.  Everytime I warm it up, I uncouple the rings and take the fob with me.  I can lock the doors after I get out with the fob and go inside the house.  It is just habit now, so when I want to leave it running and lock it at the same time I will take my fob with me.  Has worked so far.

FOB stands for???

I think all of our locks on the NBS trucks are stupid proof(if you hit the manual lock while the truck is running and the door is unlocked, it will auto unlock it for you.  I managed to do something to get around that.  To make a long story short, I locked myself out with it running.  I was out of town.  When the locksmith showed up he unlocked it and handed me a two-ringed key chain with a quick coupler and told me to attatch my fob to one ring and my key to the other.  Everytime I warm it up, I uncouple the rings and take the fob with me.  I can lock the doors after I get out with the fob and go inside the house.  It is just habit now, so when I want to leave it running and lock it at the same time I will take my fob with me.  Has worked so far.

FOB stands for???

The "fob" is your keyless entry remote. I don't know why it has this name, but that is what it is referred to as. As for On Star, I have it now, and use it, but it was not available on my 99 hence the double ringed keychain(I don't use the keyrings anymore with On Star).

Archived