Trucks you have owned

1980 Datsun pickup, 1st vehicle cost $100 It was real rough but served its

purpose. I totaled it!

1982 Silverado 2wd, 350 w/turbo400, Loved the truck, I always wished it was 4wd,

lady ran a red light=totaled!

1979 F150 4x4 short bed, 35in BFG mudders, tons of fun. Traded for a new mustang in

2000, college kid @ the time didn't know any beter, I still miss that truck.

1990 Silverado 4x4 200,000mi, rusted out, work truck, died!

1979 F150 4x4 built motor(400hp), 42in supper swampers, 11in of total lift, needs body

redone everything else is new. I still have it.

199? Silverado 4x4 5.7l,100,000mi. Extended cab was a PITA to get kids in and out of

the back seat with no rear doors, sat for a long time before I got it, never

quite right and would occasionally decide not to start. It was a good cheap work

truck for a while. I traded it in.

2007 Silverado 4x4 nbs 5.3l, so far I love this one too.

I guess I've had pretty good luck with all of my vehicles outside of the abused work trucks. I guess you get what you pay for.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1973 Datsun pickup truck. New cost with aluminum cap: $2,550.00 delivered.

Actually first new vehicle I ever owned. Nice truck.

Had Zeibart applied. But that did not stop the rust at seams. The overhead cam 4 cylinder engine burned one quart of oil less than ever 3,000 miles - as I recall as I had to add one or two quarts before every dealer oil change. The dealer told me that was normal. And as a young person I believed them. The standard vinyl seat - yes, vinyl was standard back then on just about everything except fancy cars - wore out/cracked just after the first year. Extremely cheap vinyl. Again, the dealer told me this was normal. And again, I believed them.

Kept it for 4 years and sold it for $1,800.00.

After that, I switched to a new Chevrolet Chevette. 1976 Chevette delivered price: $2,656.00. It was a bright red one. And red seems to attract speeding tickets. No tickets with truck. Two tickets with red Chevette. The 1976 Chevette had no back seat. Only one year they made Chevette with no back seat on the 'Scooter' model.

1996 Chevrolet Blazer LT 4dr 4x4 - bought used with 62k miles, totaled after it caught fire at 77k miles.

PROs: comfortable, great in the snow, insurance company gave me more than I paid for it

CONs: bad gas mileage for its size (16mpg, my fullsize gets that!), Dexcool engine coolant had turned to sludge and cost me 500 dollars to repair

2000 Oldsmobile Bravada AWD - replaced the Blazer. Pretty much identical to the Blazer except it had AWD which I couldn't stand. I prefer having control over whether or not I use 2wd or 4wd, and it also didn't have a low gear. I got rid of this truck after 15 months, just didn't like it.

2004 GMC Sierra z71 4x4 ext. cab SLT - First new truck. Fully loaded. Love it. Just paid it off too. Gets the same gas mileage as my Blazer and Bravada and yet I have a bigger (5.3) engine. Only thing bad about this truck is that the water pump went out at 25k miles.

Not trucks but...

1997 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Bought it at an auction for 571 dollars. I figured it'd make a good beater. Boy did it. Wasn't very fast but it sure was fun to drive. People always thought I was an undercover cop and would get out of my way. The only bad thing is that the car wasn't taken care of very well and needed a lot of work. I chose to get rid of it instead of putting money into it.

1995 Honda Civic - Bought it for 1500 dollars as a winter beater/gas saver. Gets around 32mpg which is quite nice with gas over $3/gallon. Only bad thing is that it rides too low to the ground for my taste and is kind of cramped for someone my size. It may be slow but it rides like a go cart.

1988 Chevrolet K3500 reg cab long bed. 5.7l. deluxe two tone Black & Silver had approx 153,000 miles- (Silverado trim) loved the truck. (wish i still had her) owned it up from 1996 until 2001 (my dad was nice enough to give it to me) it was a reg cab long bed. not much room in the cab...things were starting to go. decided it wasnt worth all that it needed to get it up and running. got my first job and traded her in for a ...

2001 Chevrolet Silverado LT ext cab z71 fully loaded 5.3l mighnight blue metallic. one of the nicer trucks i owned. owned from 2001- 2007. approx 60,000. traded in for 2007 GMT 900. (see below)

2005 Chevrolet Silverado LS reg cab short bed z71 5.3l silver birch. decided to run two trucks. i am not comfortable in cars and i liek tahoe's but they are very expensive. im always using the pick up for something so i thought about getting another and i did. this one didnt have many options..used as a daily drive for boston traffic and work on wkds. very nice. wished it had 3.73 instead of 3.42. cheap plastic interior (dated interior by this time) seat squaked. interior rattled slightly. totalled it after 5,200 miles from avoiding deer and crashed thru mail box. there happened to be a tree stump (not ground down!) behind sed mailbox and my frame got wrapped around. extensive frame damage (my luck) insurance paid it off and i got a ...

2006 Chevrolet Silverado reg cab short bed LT1 z71 5.3l sport red metallic. (still own, 22,000 miles) over the past year and half i have added a rear slider, sunroof, full console, step bars and many more options. i like it..cept it makes tons of noises! squeaks & rattles. not a huge fan of the cheap plastic interior. also i see that in a year or two a reg cab isnt practical. been lookign at tradign her in for a crew cab.

2007 gmt 900 Chevrolet Silverado ext cab 6.0 vmax silver birch loaded. (8,000 miles) sunroof, rear slider, ltz. love this truck! this isnt a daily driver, but i do drive it night and wkds when i can. just got it back from the shop as it was hit by a plow on driver side front fender.

some ppl ask me why i have two pick ups, and some are asking why i want two 2007 gmt 900's. i dont necessarily need a pick up...i do use them as they are intended, but for a daily driver i dont need one. but it's personal preference. i love GM trucks.love the look, the way the drive and perfrom.

my dad swore off chevy and went to dodge then ford. i seee his trucks and they have more problems then i had ever seen on my trucks (all my trucks were and are virtually trouble free. knock on wood!)

my brother also went to the dark side (ford) and after 6,000 miles needed pistons 5 + 7 replaced.

1991 Toyota....Pros: Simple, tough, and would never, ever get stuck no matter what I threw at it. As much as I hate to say it...the only thing that stopped it was me getting rid of it. Cons: 4-banger, no extended cab, rice...

1997 Dodge Dakota...Pros: Lotsa balls, loud pipes, extended cab...so I had room for the newborn....sharp truck. Cons: Typical Mopar issues: tranny, ball joints, mileage sucked....got 10 mpg on a good day, black color was sharp...but really showed dirt.

2002 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 Ext. Cab (5.3)...Pros: More room, more power (5.3), best ride of any pickup I've ever been in, paint hid dirt(pewter). Cons: Center console snapped off at spring hinge about 2 months after bumper-to-bumper warranty expired. Hard to think of anything else.

2007 GMC Sierra SLE 4 x 4 Crew Cab (4.8)...Pros: Boat load of factory options, inc. remote start, tons of room for kids with crew cab. Cons: Rougher/stiffer ride, dark interior fabric(graphite?) grabs everything, instrument panel way too busy, 4.8 doesn't hold a candle to the 5.3, in my opinion, and I've had it in twice in the first month I've had it. Reliability?...and the Goodyear ST's are junk...also my opinion.

1966 Ford Mustang Coupe 289 - Fun Car

1976 Ford Bronco - It was a OK. Started OK, had vapor locking problems, electronic problems, tranny problems, and U-joint problems. It's biggest problem was getting rolled in an accident. Roll bar probably saved my life.

1983 Toyota 4WD truck, SR5 - Bought it used with 30K on it for $5,750, sold it with 265K on it for $1,300. Lots of tires, one clutch and tranny rebuild, several front seals, a master cylinder for the clutch, alternator, fuel pump. Pretty near an indestructable truck for a bouncy little tin can. Coast to Coast twice and up to Canada once. I really liked it, but it was wearing out, finally.

1988 Toyota Xtra cab 4WD, SR5 - Bought it at 50K and sold it at 90K. Good truck.

1996 Toyota T100 - Bought it new and kept if for 115K miles. I'd still have it, but it was two small for a family of 4.

2007 Silverado Crew LS Classic 4WD - only 15K so far. No complaints. First GM product I've owned and so far I've been pretty happy. Transmission clunks and the transfer case shifting isn't all that smooth, but if they last I don't really care what kind of noises they make. The 4.8L V8 gets as good or better on the hiway as the T100 3.4L V6, but not as good around town. It has a lot more power too.

The reason I bought the Silverado was because brand new it was much less than a used Tundra or Tacoma with 50K miles on it, and no warranty. Toyota makes good trucks for what I need them for, but not that good. I have to admit it feels pretty nice to be driving an Amercican truck too.

• 2 weeks later...

1978 K5 - spent too much money getting all the rust cut out, was good rig 350/TH400

1985 K1500 - bought it with a 6 inch lift and 35s - what a pile! had a 305 and 3.73s, nothing but trouble and work

1989 Sierra K1500 SL- Great truck! 5.7/auto had 200K on it when I traded it

1996 K1500 Xcab Z71 LT - Another great truck, no problems 5.7/auto

1997 K2500 Xcab Sierra SLT- MY BEST TRUCK EVER 7.4/Auto

1993 Full Size Blazer Silverado (Tahoe) 5.7/auto very reliable, another one that went 200K and sold it

2001 Tahoe LT - so far so good! Just put an EGR valve on it

2004 2500hd Crew cab 4x4 - 8.1/Allison, gas guzzling beast but a great truck

2007 Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 4x4 - too soon to tell :(

that is the good stuff-

now for the bad...

1995 Ford F150 4x4 - bought it new, hated it, got another Chevy

1982 Ford F150 - lowered it, bult a hot 302 and got in all kinds of trouble in it, then bought a Chevy

Hate to admit I even owned them

I wont even get into the cars, jeeps, etc...I have had many, and I am not that old :lol:

I am a mechanic, and have always taken the best care of my vehicles, so no real complaints.

1. 1982 S10 2wd - ok on gas, no power. Not bad a first vehicle when i wasn't getting stuck in the mud and snow

2. 1984 S10 4wd - sucked on gas, no power. Didn't get stuck in the snow like with my first truck.

3. 1991 Ranger 4wd STX extended cab - sucked on gas, decent power, could haul my friends around better

4. 2000 S10 Xtreme - Great on gas, great power. Got tired of hauling my friends around, this truck could only seat two, not a problem anymore. Still own this truck, its now a race car with a 500+ hp 350.

5. 1981 Custom Deluxe - decent on gas, had tons of torque but was slow.

6. 1994 Ford Ranger reg cab short bed - This truck is one of the funnest i ever owned. The 4.0 is very powerful even though it sucked gas. It was a very small truck and i was able to go places i never was able two before. With a small lift and 33" tires and 4.10 gears, it was very fun.

7. 1996 K1500 Z71 Extended cab - Probably the best truck i ever owned. It has 3.42 gears but still towed my S10 every weekend to the track getting 12-13 mpg. Running around town it got 14-16, best ever highway mpg was 18.1. Only reason I sold it was because i needed a Crew cab for my family and i wanted a heavier drive train.

8. 1986 F250 Heavy Duty - This truck sucked gas down like you wouldn't believe. It had the huge 460, three speed trans, 33" tires and 4.10 gears. It had a limited slip in the front diff and the rear was a locker. It was an awesome truck but I only towed with it once getting about 5 mpg.

9. 2002 Silverado 2500HD CC LB - Decent of gas, tons of power, tons of room. I love it!

I have never owned a car or SUV, only trucks.

1993 s10 4.3auto black with grey int.I loved this truck but only had it a short time .Probaly the fastest truck Ive had.got 24mpg easy.

1994s10 2.2 5 speed Got 27mpg consistently but had nooooo power.

2000 chevy 1500WT 4.3 auto. This truck was OK but I hated the vinyl seat and it got crappy mileage(17mpg) for a 6 cyl

2000 s10 2.2 5 speed.Loved this truck Kept it 7 years and 150k.Was light years ahead of the 94 2.2 5 speed I had.Got 22mpg most of the time

2001 s10 blazer.Plenty of power for a suv.Lots of squeaks and rattles in the interior.trans mission had problems.traded before tranny went.

2007 Chevy 1500 Z71.Just got it .All I can say for now is it rides very goo has plenty of power and sucks down some gas.

1995 Sonoma Long Box - Loved this truck. Enough power for me at the age of 18...it was nice and tough with no knocks or rattles, and very few problems over the 220k that I owned it. It was a 4.3 TBI engine so lacked a little top end power, but was great down low. CONS - Was a little small and the single cab kinda sucked.

Should have kept it for a second vehicle

pic2.jpg

2003 Sonoma ZR2 - Looked pretty good....was great offroad and in snow. CONS - it was horrible on gas (worse than my vmax), everything rattled and knocked and there was always something wrong with it.

zr2.jpg

2006 GMC Sierra VortecMax - So far so good....love everthing about this truck so far

left.jpg

• 1 month later...

1997 gmc k1500 SL 4x4 only had to replace intake gasket, had coustom intake and 2"to 2.25" dual exhaust, 1" lift on 265 75's

traded if for a 1998 chevy 2500 cheyeen 4x4 with a new motor. its bodywas better and nicer interior. new pioneer deck and it will get dual 2.5" exhaust over easter :shakehead:

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 2wd RCSB 4.3 v6 auto Blue Indigo Metallic - First truck I ever had, bought it brand new. Liked that is was new, blue and fun to drive in the summer. W/T package which I like because its easy to clean the inside. It didnt have a locking rear so that sucked in the winter when my driveway had 2 foot snow drifts (driveway was about 600 feet long down lower than the road surrounded by farm land). 6 foot bed looks cool but I could have used 8 foot often. v6 just wasnt gettin it. Drove till 20,000 miles.

2001 Chevy Silverado 2500 2wd RCLB 6.0 v8 auto Light Pewter Metallic - Traded in my 02 for this bad boy. Really liked the towing capability and the amount of power the engine had. Had the LS trim package and that was nice have a little nicer interior than what I am used to. 8 foot bed worked great for me. Hauled lots of building materials, mulch and sand. Prolly the nicest lookin truck I have had so far with tinted windows, painted fender flares, and chrome factory wheels. The only thing I really didnt like about it is that it was only 2wd. Bought with 28,000 and change drove to 108,000.

2004 Chevy SSR 5.3 v8 auto Redline Red - Garage queen, bought new in spring of 05 as a leftover 04. Currently has 3400 miles. Just fun to drive.

2006 GMC Sierra 1500 4wd RCLB 4.8 v8 auto Fire Red - Traded my 01. Love everything about it except for the lack of power in the 4.8. Pullin some of the small hills on the highway with the cruise set it kicks down a gear to maintain speed which my 6.0 never had to do. Bought brand new currently 23,000 miles

I have had GM products since I was 16 and have never had any major problems and I dont plan on changin anytime soon, unless maybe I get a Jeep or something, but I still will have GM truck.

1978 Chevy Blazer 4x4 - ran it for 10 years, 110K miles, rusted out pretty bad

1988 GMC short bed pickup 2wd, ran it for 11 years, 100K miles, just wanted a new truck

1999 GMC Sierra SLE Ext cab short bed pickup 2wd, ran it for 8 years, 99K miles, wanted 4x4

2007 GMC Sierra SLE2 4x4, just got it in Sept 07

4 trucks in 30 years. Should say it all, whenI find something I like and it works I stick with it. :shakehead:

1978 Chevy 1/2 ton short bed. 400cid & Turbo400 trans. It'd chirp the tires when it hit 2nd gear. I pulled the engine to put in my trans-am and it was never the same. Sold it to some POS who didn't pay for it and totaled it.

1987ish Chevy 1/2 ton short bed. Good truck. No complaints.

1995 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins. Noisy sucker. Began having problems starting so sold it.

1997 Chevy Tahoe 2 door. Great unit. Bigger family = 2 doors don't work any more.

2001 Chevy 1/2 ton ext. cab short bed. Dealer had installed anti-theft device for security on his lot. Didn't remove all of it when I bought it. Caused a lot of problems. Real PITA! If it weren't for those problems, would have been trouble free.

2004 GMC 3/4 ton 4 door QUADRASTEER! SWEEEET! Still have it & plan on keeping it for quite a while.

2006 Tahoe. Plain Jane as can be. 5.3 & 21mpg highway! Can't beat that.

1993 Mazda B2600 Good LITTLE truck, 23mpg, sold w/ 160,000 miles to my parents-they drove another 20,000 and sold it for a profit. :shakehead:

2000 Toyota Tundra access cab 4.7 liter, truck was fast but not much torque. 90,000 miles and sold to a friend of a friend who still has the truck and loves it. Dual exhaust K&N filter. CONS- slight vibration in the drivetrain the dealer never could fix and 16mpg.

2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ext Cab 6.0 liter and 4.10 rearend. Great truck to tow with, sits up high, xm radio, bullet proof engine. CONS 13mpg avg. 125,000 miles and still have it. Just put it on craig's list and Auto Trader.

2008 silverado 1500 ext cab 5.3 3.43(?) rear end, only have 1,000 miles so far, but I'm LIKING this truck, 16.5 mpg so far, SMOOTH truck, added the DIC buttons and I'm digging that.

Archived