What did you drive in High School?

sahls01gmc

I had a neighbor that had one of those. They'd get loaded with their buddies, then go tearing through the woods in their backyard, no exhaust. When they moved, they left it out in the road. I found it in the middle of the woods a week later. Someone had fun with it. :lol:

Thing took a beating!

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the 70's my dad owned a speed shop and got a Granada Gold on gold with black vinyl top 1967 Nova SS 327/275 hp 4 speed in trade from his machinist. Drag is the machinist had taken the engine out to put in his wife's 1968 El Camino since she had blown her 396. At 15 my dad "gave" me the car with the caveat that I had to pass a private safe driving course on top of regular drivers training and buy/build/install/get running the engine myself. I worked at his shop whenever needed for free of course, at a service station 2 doors over 2 nights a week for $2.25 an hour and gardening on the weekend for $1.65 per hour to save up enough money. I eventually saved enough to buy and build a basic 283 so I could have the car running by the time I turned 16. The day I turned 16 I was the first person in line at the DMV to get my license and I thought I was the sh!t driving past the school bus stop in the morning where all my friends were waiting for their ride. 2 months later I get up to go to school one morning and find the safe driving instructor having coffee with my parents (not abnormal as he was also a personal friend of theirs). He asked if I was over on Foam street the other day and half way through answering I remembered I had been over there showing off a little on cruise night which he had obviously seen so after the lecture from both I just handed the keys to my dad and took off for the bus stop which I found myself doing for the next month!

I don't have pics of the car in gold but I have some Polaroids of what I eventually did to it that I'll post later (in hindsight of course I wish I had it now in the original shape I got it in!)

Graduated in 2007. In high school i drove a faded-out 1995 Jeep Cherokee with an inline V6. Had some form of an axel issue. I think the tires were always angled out a little. It was a repossessed vehicle and was pulled out of a ditch prior to me owning it

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My high school 72-74 wheels were a 1948 navy blue Chevy Pickup with a straight 6. Wish I still had it. lol And I have no pictures of it any more, they were thrown out when mom sold the house. In grade 12 I drove a 62 White Impala bubble top with the big red molding on the side with red interior.

High school would have been mid-80s. It was a 1978 Cutlass Supreme with the 231 V6 and 14 inch Keystone Classics.

I had that same car (not in high school, but years after).

Had a Goodwrench 350 crate, Crane 292 cam (HUGE), Holly Dominator strip intake, Edelbrock 600 carb, & a built to the moon TH400 tranny. Only thing that car needed at the time was a stall converter - I didn't understand how this stuff worked then. You can see from the parts list, not good choices for a daily driver, lol! Sounded great, and laid rubber shifting to second every time.

Had Fiero GT bucket seats, and the vinyl top had been stripped and repainted ... but the previous owner never reinstalled the rear window trim - always hated that. Had Corvette rally wheels with the trim rings and center caps. Jet black, of course. Beautiful car, it was.

I don't have pics of it scanned yet, but I have this gift I got from the MA State Police not 15 minutes after putting it on the road. I was on my way back from the RMV, LOL! MA for ya ... but shocker it was only a warning!

Was 22 years ago now.

IMG_5252_zpsdpza3rhv.jpg

I had that same car (not in high school, but years after).

Had a Goodwrench 350 crate, Crane 292 cam (HUGE), Holly Dominator strip intake, Edelbrock 600 carb, & a built to the moon TH400 tranny. Only thing that car needed at the time was a stall converter - I didn't understand how this stuff worked then. You can see from the parts list, not good choices for a daily driver, lol! Sounded great, and laid rubber shifting to second every time.

Had Fiero GT bucket seats, and the vinyl top had been stripped and repainted ... but the previous owner never reinstalled the rear window trim - always hated that. Had Corvette rally wheels with the trim rings and center caps. Jet black, of course. Beautiful car, it was.

I don't have pics of it scanned yet, but I have this gift I got from the MA State Police not 15 minutes after putting it on the road. I was on my way back from the RMV, LOL! MA for ya ... but shocker it was only a warning!

Was 22 years ago n

Over the years, I'd ended up owning 3 Cutlass (78, 80 Cutlass Calais, and an 86 Cutlass Supreme). I'd kept the wheels from the 78 and used them on the others. The 80 was the fun one; it had a 350 swapped from a Chevy Caprice (back then those cars were land yachts). It had a serious traction problem.

Always loved the 80's platform (forget the letter of the body ... G maybe?) - Cutlass, Monte, Grand Prix - all great cars. They were getting a little thin on the sheet metal compared to the 60's & early 70's, but were reliable drivers. Always needed help in the HP department with the anemic 305's though.

I miss my '85 Monte. That thing hit everything but the lottery ...

85Monte.jpg

db7e36757448ab3b92ea6d7deeda0341.pngmy old 94 caprice. Came with 4.3, swapped for 5.7 lt1... stolen n stripped...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I miss my 93 9C1. They were great cars. Ugly as hell on the ass end, but great cars.

2e581ad3784a5243b5ec0ca2c8d54856.jpg832a5c951ef23ce9a15f590113f24ebf.jpg

The RxP had more HP than the civic but I learned so much working on that car.

The civic mods- Hp racing headers to arospeed midpipe out an HKS hipower exhaust. Front upper strut. Bar, RSX swap bars. Aem intake. Tenzo racing seats with 5 point harnesses....with a custom seat belt rail in back. So yes 127 horsepower needed 5 point harnesses for some dumb reason. Seibon cf hood. Enkei wheels. I drove the piss out of that thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived