IPhone 8 & wireless charging pad

This is on GM. I don’t see how Apple or any other phone manufacturer shares any blame on wireless charging issues. Phone manufacturers are responsible only for their own charge pads or pads that are licensed/certified accessory under the phone manufacturer. It’s up to GM to verify compatibility with devices they intend to support.

GM should do what it takes to make the pads right. Widen the tray, up the amperage, etc

While GM states that the pad conforms to WPC/PMA wireless charge standards, if the design is not right it’s junk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The charge pad system in the truck was out there several years before the i8.

I'd say it's on Apple....

So you’re saying Apple should take GM’s charge pad, and everyone else’s for that matter, into account when designing a new phone? That’ll NEVER happen.

On 10/20/2017 at 8:03 PM, redwngr said:

The charge pad system in the truck was out there several years before the i8.

I'd say it's on Apple....

My Samsung S7 Edge was made before my 2017 Silverado was.  

If I take the case off, flip the phone around, hold my breath, and don't move too much it'll slowly charge.

Just as GM designed, I'm sure :rolleyes:

I have removed the "charging device" from under the console and placed my iPhone 8 on it - it will connect for about 2 seconds and then disconnect - the problem with the system is that the charging device is too low power to charge anything with any efficiency.  GM could solve the problem by having the manufacturer design,, develop and manufacture a charging block that will work on all phones - even if they offer it as an "upgrade" I would pay to have this made available.  This is not an apple problem, it is GM developing technology that was new and not following up on the upgrade of it. 

I have removed the "charging device" from under the console and placed my iPhone 8 on it - it will connect for about 2 seconds and then disconnect - the problem with the system is that the charging device is too low power to charge anything with any efficiency.  GM could solve the problem by having the manufacturer design,, develop and manufacture a charging block that will work on all phones - even if they offer it as an "upgrade" I would pay to have this made available.  This is not an apple problem, it is GM developing technology that was new and not following up on the upgrade of it. 
Just install a more powerful one. It doesn't look hard

Interesting that Apple iPhone 8 will charge wirelessly on GM 2018 models but not on 2017 and earlier.  So GM did something with the 2018 charge pads - just don't know what.

Here's what Apple says:

The implementations of wireless charging in 2017 and earlier models from Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, and GMC do not meet the requirements for Qi certification. These models do not work with iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208148

On 10/24/2017 at 1:06 PM, jhbrennan said:

Interesting that Apple iPhone 8 will charge wirelessly on GM 2018 models but not on 2017 and earlier.  So GM did something with the 2018 charge pads - just don't know what.

Here's what Apple says:

The implementations of wireless charging in 2017 and earlier models from Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, and GMC do not meet the requirements for Qi certification. These models do not work with iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208148

Like I said, it's on GM not Apple. IT took GM until 2018 models to get it right.

Edited by Loco-diablo

1 hour ago, Loco-diablo said:

Like I said, it's on GM not Apple. IT took GM until 2018 models to get it right.

i wouldn't say that. This was engineered before the release of the iphone 8, so there was nothing for GM to get right. these markets are always evolving, and new products will have to be studied and reviewed before producing compatible equipment. Apple is new to wireless charging, and clearly have produced their new devices with different standards than all other phone manufacturers 

i wouldn't say that. This was engineered before the release of the iphone 8, so there was nothing for GM to get right. these markets are always evolving, and new products will have to be studied and reviewed before producing compatible equipment. Apple is new to wireless charging, and clearly have produced their new devices with different standards than all other phone manufacturers 

GM did not comply to QI standards until now, 2018.

The other long list of auto manufacturers were already Qi compliant. They got it right. Qi was developed by the Wireless Power Consortium in 2008. It’s the standard protocol for wireless charging. It’s been around for a long time.

‘The implementations of wireless charging in 2017 and earlier models from Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, and GMC do not meet the requirements for Qi certification.’

7 hours ago, Loco-diablo said:

GM did not comply to QI standards until now, 2018.

The other long list of auto manufacturers were already Qi compliant. They got it right. Qi was developed by the Wireless Power Consortium in 2008. It’s the standard protocol for wireless charging. It’s been around for a long time.

‘The implementations of wireless charging in 2017 and earlier models from Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, and GMC do not meet the requirements for Qi certification.’

Well for whatever the reason is that GM isn't making their products Qi standard compliant, i dont know. their wireless chargers still work with androids. Clearly GM didn't put in much effort in manufacturing them because they are low-power, but are powerful enough to charge. Maybe not Qi standard compliant, but clearly andoirds don't require it, which are the only devices that had wireless charging capabilities at the time of these models were manufactured.. no?

GM is Qi compliant as of 2018. While Apple is late to the game, other manufacturers such as Samsung, LG, Nokia, etc..have been using the Qi protocol for wireless charging for years.  The Galaxy S6 for example, is Qi compliant and it was released in early Q2 of 2015.

I guess my point is had GM been Qi compliant earlier like the auto manufacturers below, we wouldn't be having this conversation. The iphone 8 would have worked with vehicles prior to 2018. 

I have no horse in this game as I use CarPlay ALL the time which requires a wired connection (charging the phone at the same time). It sucks to have a brand new 2017 truck that won't wirelessly charge the new iphone 8. I'm surprised that GM dropped the ball on this while it seems that most everyone else supporting wireless charging got it right.

• Audi
  • BMW
  • Chrysler
  • Ford
  • Genesis
  • Honda
  • Hyundai
  • Kia
  • Mercedes-Benz
  • PSA
  • Toyota
  • Volkswagen
  • Volvo

1 hour ago, Loco-diablo said:

GM is Qi compliant as of 2018. While Apple is late to the game, other manufacturers such as Samsung, LG, Nokia, etc..have been using the Qi protocol for wireless charging for years.  The Galaxy S6 for example, is Qi compliant and it was released in early Q2 of 2015.

I guess my point is had GM been Qi compliant earlier like the auto manufacturers below, we wouldn't be having this conversation. The iphone 8 would have worked with vehicles prior to 2018. 

I have no horse in this game as I use CarPlay ALL the time which requires a wired connection (charging the phone at the same time). It sucks to have a brand new 2017 truck that won't wirelessly charge the new iphone 8. I'm surprised that GM dropped the ball on this while it seems that most everyone else supporting wireless charging got it right.

• Audi
  • BMW
  • Chrysler
  • Ford
  • Genesis
  • Honda
  • Hyundai
  • Kia
  • Mercedes-Benz
  • PSA
  • Toyota
  • Volkswagen
  • Volvo

well i agree. GM engineered this very poorly. However, all of the phones i've had do work. One of them being a samsung note 5, which was released in Q3 of 2015. i would suggest anyone having an issue to do the relatively simple replacement of the coils in the console for a more powerful one.... or see if you're able to purchase a new console lid from GM that they now have in their 2018 models (which are apparently Qi compliant)

• Like 1