Generation Gap: Smart Phones

music

OK... so my wife has been on me about maybe getting a phone for our oldest son (16 now). As part of that "urging", the topic of smart phones, texting, etc., keeps coming up. I work w/ advanced technology and development all day, and have no interest in carrying it with me. I've been one of those "keep it at the office" types for so long, that I can't bring myself to accept the idea of carrying "data connections" with me. Even worse, the thing that she likes so much (texting), seems outright dumb to me. Why type a text on a tiny keyboard, when I can call and get it over with in 1 min. I think she spends too much phone time "being nice" and "discussing", where I just call and get to the point.

I'm also cheap, I think. Verizon wants somewhere in the range of $200 per month for 3 smart phones... and I have 2 more growing kids. That's crazy to me!!

So, I'm wondering what others think on this? Do you guys feel that these data phones are worth their weight in gold? Do you crave typing on a tiny little screen, and long for your next text message or Facebook post? Or, like me, do you just want to be left alone when you're driving down the road, working on your truck, or just sitting down to watch some old fashioned TV or a movie? Do you envy your kids Facebooking... or think they're wasting their life away typing on a little device?

Is this my official generation gap?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an iphone (personal) and blackberry (work). I can never go back to no phone or one without data. It makes time go by waiting places, etc.

My kids are to little or maybe not? I gave my 3 yr old son my old ipod so can watch youtube video s (clean ones). He says its his phone. Yesterday he said "daddy how do I check my email on my phone" oh jeez its starting. My daughter who is 6 months is fasinated by my phone. If I am holding her and have it out she dives out of my arms to try and get it.

OK... so my wife has been on me about maybe getting a phone for our oldest son (16 now). As part of that "urging", the topic of smart phones, texting, etc., keeps coming up. I work w/ advanced technology and development all day, and have no interest in carrying it with me. I've been one of those "keep it at the office" types for so long, that I can't bring myself to accept the idea of carrying "data connections" with me. Even worse, the thing that she likes so much (texting), seems outright dumb to me. Why type a text on a tiny keyboard, when I can call and get it over with in 1 min. I think she spends too much phone time "being nice" and "discussing", where I just call and get to the point.

I'm also cheap, I think. Verizon wants somewhere in the range of $200 per month for 3 smart phones... and I have 2 more growing kids. That's crazy to me!!

So, I'm wondering what others think on this? Do you guys feel that these data phones are worth their weight in gold? Do you crave typing on a tiny little screen, and long for your next text message or Facebook post? Or, like me, do you just want to be left alone when you're driving down the road, working on your truck, or just sitting down to watch some old fashioned TV or a movie? Do you envy your kids Facebooking... or think they're wasting their life away typing on a little device?

Is this my official generation gap?

Yup...your old...lol

In this day and age where no one "has time" to call/talk to keep up with family and friends, it's so much easier to just "pick up the phone" and text or send an email or facebook message or any number of things these phones can do. Personally I probably use my "phone" for everything but call seems like. I always end up texting everyone just to find out when we can make time to talk on the phone. Everyone is in such a rush, no one has time to talk anymore... :shakehead: Yes I'm just as guilty...

If you dont want to pay a arm and a leg try virgin at least in canada its good . I get unlimited texting and pic messaging . 100 anytime mins , unlimited weekends and eveings . I get my peeps and that is 5 people unlimted local and long distance time if they have the same plan so great for the family like I live in alberta and parents in bc so we use are cells phones to talk to each other and pay per use data and since I am on a college campus i dont really need date but if i use it . it works like this up to 5mb 5$ up to 100mb 10 bucks up to 300mb 15bucks up to 1gb 20 and 3gb 30

here is a link also i got a free smart phone sorta so much my bill goes towards it and i can build a credit. I pay 25 bucks a month

http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/plans/choice-plans.html

I got my first smartphone about 4 years ago. It was a Blackberry and although I ended up hating the thing (the software sucked) it forever changed my view of the world. Having an internet connection at all times is pretty handy. I now have an android phone and can't imagine life without it. Google Maps has saved my ass many times. I have my entire music library with me at all times thanks to Google Music, too.

I had a smartphone in 07. A palm Treo. Windows software. I loved it. Then I went to an iPhone and broke it. I tried going to a regular phone and couldn't stand it and 2 weeks later got my blackberry and loved it. Then I went to Android phones and stayed brand loyal to Motorola since. I love the constant connection. Texts are nice because someone can answer later when they have time. I use maybe 1 gb of data a month

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

He's 16 when he goes to work and pays for his phone he can have whatever phone he can afford. Of course this will point to the age thing. To me it has become a step in growing up, my two youngest kids used my truck to get back and forth to work and paid for their own cell phones while I helped them shop for something to drive. All three of my kids learned early on that the only free ride they had was a roof over their heads and 3 meals aday as long as they were in school. Leave school its time to pay their way. All of them earned enough money to get good dependable transportaion that lasted them until they could do better. Just saying that it worked for me your results may vary!! :jester:

I didn't get a smartphone till I was 21 and I survived I just recently upgraded to a real smartphone and I'm happy with it doesn't make me any less social and keeps me entertained when bored I don't think young kids need them I didn't get my own phone till I was 17 and it was a Nokia tracfone that rarely had service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got my first cell phone when I was 15 because I was starting to drive more. It was an old bag phone that was never without service. I had a variety of other bar phones and flip phones after that in high school and throughout college. I got a blackberry when i was 24 and fell in love with being able to look up whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. I saw the writing on the wall with them a few years ago and switched over to a droid and love it even more. I will say this, I don't think young drivers should have smart phones just because of all the distractions and I especially don't think kids should have them. One of my best friends is getting his 10 year old daughter an iphone 5 for Christmas and it just makes me shake my head.

Archived